Helmet of Choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a HJC AC-12. It just came in today, I have not had a chance to try it out. Got a good deal $119 I even got a dark smoke face shield. It fits pretty snug but I'm expecting it to break in some...

Shoei X-11 for me.

I picked the X-11 since it's lighter than most helmets and has good ventilation. Perhaps go to a bike store and try on different helmets and feel their weight. I've been told that most people either can fit into an Arai or Shoei, but not both. The Arais wouldn't fit my head.

There is a never-ending debate whether or not modular helmets have potential safety-issues. Regardless of that issue it's up to you how much of your noggin' you want protected. I'd rather have a full-face helmet. Besides, my metallic black X-11 with the mirrored visor just looks cool.

I doubt you'll find many (any?) people here who ride with less than a full-face (or flip-up) style helmet. I certainly haven't in since about 1982. Up until that point, I was wearing a 3/4 helmet. Then I ran into a guy in the bike store who had a pretty messed up face -- because he had planted it on the asphalt a few weeks earlier. I bought a full-face Bell on the spot. I won't leave my driveway without my RF1000 or my Multitec.

Too hot for a helmet in Arizona? Hold the helmet upside down and dump some water in it. Swish it around to soak the liner. Dump out any excess. Put the helmet on. It's like air-conditioning for your head.

As far as which helmet to buy? Different brands and models fit different heads. Go to a store where you can try a bunch of different ones. on and get something which fits you well. Remember, it should be slightly snug when new because it will loosen up a little as it breaks in. But there shouldn't be an pressure points.

-Uwe-

I doubt you'll find many (any?) people here who ride with less than a full-face (or flip-up) style helmet. I certainly haven't in since about 1982.
Up until today I was using a 3/4 helmet with a flip up visor because I couldn't find a full face that fit well and allowed me to get my glasses on. Finally today I tried on the Shoei RF1000 and immediately bought it - it's the first helmet that fit me perfectly.

X-11- Sweetest Helmet out there! Yep. Fits greattt. Vents great. tis light. B)

1cc2a3a3f5960eb3c45c7d281529c366_rough.jpg

RF-1000- Pretty sweet, small shell, aerodynamic

RF-1000-MATT-DEEP-GREY.jpg

Arai Astral- Hate it, huge alien head shell, loud, visor system stinks-

arai%20quantum%202%20aluminum%20grey_310x310.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: