Helmet question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a personal bias against flip face helmets. I firmly believe that no matter how well the mechanics are integrated, there is still a tradeoff in the performance of the helmet in an impact. Models that have a release in the chin bar area would be a particular concern if I were i your situation.

I wear a standard full-face helmet, and can drink from my water tube, and don't need the distraction of eating while riding. I prefer to wear contacts while riding, but I've been wearing glasses only for about a year while riding every day.

Most helmets I've seen (non-flip) have only a thin layer of trim material at the chin bar. My chin usually doesn't hit these. There are a few helmets out there with a fully padded chin area, with impact absorbing foam like the rest of the helmet. This is my preference. I can touch the chin bar if i reach for it, but I do not worry about imacpting the chin area any more than the rest of my body. My helmet is an AGV Ti-Tech for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another +1 for the KBC FFR. It is a little heavier than other flip-ups, but does have the metal latches. It's the helmet I use most often. But I don't think any flip-up provides the chin protection that a FF does and I have a Scorpion Exo 700 for those occasions where I want that protection.

Latest posts