Helmet Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry5k

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new, never out of the box, open-face Shoei RJ Air helmet. When I got home, I looked at the manufacture date (should've done that before) and it was made in September of 02. Just wondering if it is still usable, even though it has never been out of the box. Please, just the facts! Thanks for your input

Sorry, I couldn't figure out where to put this question, so here it is.

Some may tell you that 5 years is the limit for helmet life but I suspect a lot of factors determine the actual lifespan of the average helmet.

To the best of my knowledge the most serious wear factors would be UV radiation and certain airborne pollutants. These would affect the plastics, fiberglass materials, liner contents etc.

The fact that your helmet has been bagged and boxed this entire time would lead me to believe it is safe to use.

You might try contacting Shoei to get their $.02

Some may tell you that 5 years is the limit for helmet life but I suspect a lot of factors determine the actual lifespan of the average helmet.
To the best of my knowledge the most serious wear factors would be UV radiation and certain airborne pollutants. These would affect the plastics, fiberglass materials, liner contents etc.

The fact that your helmet has been bagged and boxed this entire time would lead me to believe it is safe to use.

You might try contacting Shoei to get their $.02
+1 about the UV and other factors and calling Shoei. While they might be skewed towards selling you a new helmet, you might be lucky enough to get somebody technical that can give you the straight poop. I always replace mine every five years because a) the liner is loose by then and the UV has rumored to degrade the shell by then and B) there's usually a new Snell rating out and I like to keep up to date (for what ever that's worth, lots of discussion elsewhere). But can't see it degrading too much if bagged and in the box.

IIRC, I think I saw dcarver replaces his every two years, maybe he has more insight.

So far I've replaced mine on average every 18 months, but there were other factors at work. . . . .

DSC02739sm.jpg

But where did you get this helmet? Private sale, or a dealer? I can't imagine a dealer not making it right on something that's been laying around 6 years somewhere.

Shoei themselves might even make you an upgrade offer.

I bought the helmet from a guy who bought several at an auction last year from a company here in Sacramento that went out of business. I paid $90 for the helmet. It is in perfect shape and fits just right. One reason I bought it is because I have a hell of a time finding a helmet that actually fits - and I thought my head was kinda normal!!!!! Little did I know.

Arai considers the helmet spent after 5 years from date of purchase or within 7 years of manufacture date. Never been worn maybe another story, I'm no helmet engineer dude.

Having a helmet that old that is used regularly I would agree, it's spent. The foam and Styrofoam has compressed from being used and will feel much looser, thus reducing its ability to absorb the shock and keep it from transferring it to your brain. The whole purpose of a helmet is to decelerate your brain on impact.

I would never buy a used helmet and I would be a little cautious of old helmets. I buy a new helmet every 3-5 years.

Just MHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The environmentalist would have you believe that Styrofoam will last 50 years in a land fill...

But the Styrofoam padding in a helmet will only last 5 years ....

Maybe we should store our helmets in the garbage can ,,, :rolleyes:

I replace my helmets every few years because the inside gets rather nasty and smells

like a old sweat sock ... :dribble:

Don't know about a stored helmet,,,

<snip>...I bought the helmet from a guy who bought several at an auction last year from a company here in Sacramento that went out of business. I paid $90 for the helmet.
Sounds too good to be true..... :unsure:

'Bolerfork': The fact that your helmet has been bagged and boxed this entire time would lead me to believe it is safe to use.
I don't think those packaging items will help the ageing process -- especially the evaporation of 'light-end' hydrocarbons; which, essentially, changes the composition of the helmet material.

'happyPuppy': I agree with calling Shoei. If you have the box, helmet and it is new they may well replace it for you. Never hurts to ask.
Let us know, Barry, if this works -- getting a new $300~$400 Shoei for a 7 yr. old $90 one. We can all start searching the swap-meets.... :eek: :)

Top-line helmet manufacturers have tried to get a handle on retailing their product in America (very litigious along with govt. regulations) with little success -- Arai is the one that is very determined not to let their product get 'foot-balled' in the marketplace.

"Caveat Emptor" :(

Last edited by a moderator:
A very comfortable helmet for me and AIW (Angelic Italian Wifey) with flip up feature is the Fulmer Modus. Can only purchase one from a dealer and no web sales. The local owner/dealer offers that after purchase of a helmet tried on in the store and fit inspected by him, take it home, put it on, and watch a full length movie with it on. If still comfortable, but tight on head, keep it. If not, can return it within 7 days with all tags/stickers still attached in resellable condition, and he'll exchange it for another helmet in stock, no questions asked.

This is a different situation, but all three of my Fulmer Modus helmets (one XL and two XXL) were recalled. They offered to send me a new helmet of the same type and size. Problem was, I have $15 worth of reflective stickers on both my helmets and I'm aggravated that I'd lose that, but se la vee.

Fulmer Recall Notice

Top-line helmet manufacturers have tried to get a handle on retailing their product in America (very litigious along with govt. regulations) with little success -- Arai is the one that is very determined not to let their product get 'foot-balled' in the marketplace.
"Caveat Emptor" :(
There was a video clip of Jay Leno with an Arai guy. The Arai guy said all their helmets come with washable liners. And I think he said that with wasing the liners and the shells last indefinitely, overall their helmets have much longer lives (at least that was the gist).

So I emailed Shoei with the following text:

Hi

I have three Shoei helmets and love them. I recently purchased a Shoie RJ Air at an estate sale. It has never been out of the box and is in new, perfect condition. The manufacture date, however, says 09/02. Is this helmet still safe to wear?

Thank you for your reply

Barry

Their reply:

We suggest that your helmet be replaced five years from purchase date or seven years from manufacture date, whichever comes first.

Patrick Houlihan

Technical Advisor

Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.

I said I had three Shoei helmets just so they would see I'm a loyal customer and I may get a straight answer. Their answer suggests that they quoted their stock answer as to not open themselves to a lawsuit if something should happen. There was no mention if that is years of use or years of in the box. Interesting!

Barry,

I have never seen data on the effects of age on the effectiveness of a helmet. Thus, we are left with Shoei's standard answer of 5 yr / 7 yr and many opinions on what might impact the durability of the shell, foam, etc.

I think how a helmet fits is the most important point in protection. I saw a quote from an Arai dealer that their experience is that 3 out of 5 users have a helmet that is too big for them. In the search for comfort, people go too big. For proper protection, the fit must be snug, and then for comfort, the snugness must conform to the shape of the head.

If it fits snug and it feels good, I vote for using it.

Ron

Barry,
I have never seen data on the effects of age on the effectiveness of a helmet. Thus, we are left with Shoei's standard answer of 5 yr / 7 yr and many opinions on what might impact the durability of the shell, foam, etc.

I think how a helmet fits is the most important point in protection. I saw a quote from an Arai dealer that their experience is that 3 out of 5 users have a helmet that is too big for them. In the search for comfort, people go too big. For proper protection, the fit must be snug, and then for comfort, the snugness must conform to the shape of the head.

If it fits snug and it feels good, I vote for using it.

Ron
Referring again to the Leno video clip with the Arai guy, Leno said he had been wearing an XL (which you would expect), and the Arai guy actually fitted him with a medium and customized the inner pads for the propper fit.

Found the link: Leno/Arai Helmet Segment

Have you ever seen what happens to styrofoam and plastic in general after time? it drys out and hardens. Why? Because that is the nature of the beast.

I would not ride in this helmet. That said, I use my 7 yrs old Shoei, but only on the parking lot when I am teaching and training my self. Simply because I have enough confidence that I wont needed at the parking lot speed. It is more psychological and to show to my students that I wear one all the time as well.

9/02 + 7 = 9/09 so you could use the helmet for one riding season and be within manufacturer's guidelines for use from date of manufacture. How long you use it after that is up to you, per SHOEI.

IMHO, I would rather be wearing a 7yr old full face helmet in a get-off rather than a brand new open face helmet. Scratches on the chin bars have proved that for me a few times.

I replace my helmets before 5yrs of use and 7yrs from manufacture date - whichever comes first. I always have two helmets I use myself + another for a passenger. I ride daily.

Here's my take. It's kinda simple: How much is your melon worth? I'm guessin more than a helmet right? If you've bought 3 Shoeis over the years, your not afraid to shell out bigger bucks for helmet, so go get another one. Peace of mind, not playing the odds and coming home to family instead of hospital: Priceless!! Lesson learned on checking dates on helmets. I'll take a $90 lesson over the alternative in a crash anyday.