Helmet Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAJW

Reaction score
T-Motorsports Recall

Motorcycle helmets recalled, may not protect rider

August 31, 2012 11:53 AM ET

DETROIT (AP) - T-Motorsports is recalling an unknown number of motorcycle helmets because the chin straps can fail and they might not protect a rider's head in a crash.

The Chinese-made helmets failed low-temperature impact tests, and the straps also failed tests, according to documents posted Friday on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. The helmets also don't have the required labels saying the month and year they were manufactured.

The documents did not say how many helmets are covered by the recall or if anyone has been hurt because of the problems. They also did not say where the helmets were sold. The affected helmets have the model number HY803 and are extra-large size, the documents said.

Messages were left Friday morning for the company, which is based in Pomona, Calif.

T-Motorsports said in the documents that it will either offer repairs or refunds. It plans to begin notifying customers the week of Sept. 14.

Owners with questions can contact T-Motorsports at (626) 388-9898.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who the hell would buy such an unknown Chinese helmet?

I guess what they say is true, if you have a 50 dollar head then a 50 dollar helmet will work for you.

Again, who would buy such a piece of crap?

I guess what they say is true, if you have a 50 dollar head then a 50 dollar helmet will work for you.

I agree, any type of safety equipment that says "China" on it, I am not interested in. :bad:

I agree, any type of safety equipment that says "China" on it, I am not interested in. :bad:
I remember when we said that about things labeled "Made in Japan".

Oh my, how things have changed.

I have to agree I too am tired of inferior quality or just plane JUNK especially from China.

In the case of a $50 helmet, how can it not be junk?

I dunno. Cycle Gear is selling a whole lot of this stuff under the Bilt brand name. It seems to be selling very well, and I know of people that like it.

I dunno. Cycle Gear is selling a whole lot of this stuff under the Bilt brand name. It seems to be selling very well, and I know of people that like it.
Tom,

Thanks for the info on Bilt. When I orginally posted this, I was tempted to note that no one I know had ever heard of this outfit, but it appears this stuff is mainstream sales material. As it's oft repeated, buyer beware!

Yeah my Rev-it gear is made in China and I really like my Rev-it clothing. Perhaps my idea of good quality gear is designed in USA, Japan or Western Europe and then made in China is ok.

No name brands worry me though. I looked at Built helmets at a local shop - I was not impressed. Admittedly I am a helmet snob as my head and comfort is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Harley buddies do not wear helmets. Although, they do have a helmet tucked away in case they travel out of state and need it. The helmets they do wear are exactly these. They buy the cheapest POS beenie cap they can find, just to be within the law.