Helmet Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I tried a search, but didn't come up with anything on this specifically.

How often do you replace your helmet? I have on that is almost 9 years old, and one that is about 5 or 6 years old. Is there a certain amount of time, or hours of use, before you should just get a new one for safety sake?

Schuberth says I should replace my helmet every 5 years. Kind of hard to retire a perfectly good-looking $600+ helmet, but I quess I will when the time comes.

I think it is not advisable to keep using any helmet that is more then 5 years old other then parking lot session. Internals gets harder, outer shell gets harder as well. Sun, fumes, and other things play a number on the helmet why take a chance.

I just got my self new Arai, had to switch from Shoe because Arai fitted me better this time around.

If you are ready to buy a new helmet let me know what you are looking for and the price that you are willing to pay and I will let you know if I can get it for you at that price. ;) Yes, it will be brand new helmet. :D

AS for your old helmet. If it is a full face and you sure you do not need them I can probably use it. The helmets( actually half of the fulle face, we slice them in half, are over 15 years old) that we show off in the class room during MSF are probably due for the update.

Did a bit of digging on the net and found this. This is a cut out from THIS LINK

Snell institute recommendations are that you should replace your helmet every two years if you race, and every five years regardless. Helmets significantly more than five years old should be destroyed. The components in the helmets that protect you tend to deteriorate with time. The time starts when the helmet is made, not when the box is opened. For this reason alone, it's an excellent idea to buy your helmet mail order: the large mail order houses have very fast turnover on their stock, so you're very likely getting a very new helmet. You can check on this simply by asking if your preferred model is popular. At your local dealer, there's a good chance that the helmets have been sitting on the shelf for six to eighteen months, so a significant portion of their service life is already used up before you ever put the helmet on your head. Also, avoid buying a helmet at the closeout places for the same reason: a one or two model year old helmet has already used up a third to a half of its service life sitting around. If your helmet is older than five years, you may be fooling your wife and yourself, but you're not fooling the laws of physics. Oh, and remember, the laws of physics were discovered by physicists, but we didn't make them: they're God's laws, not ours.

I think some helmets have warranties and, if so, I would replace on that schedule.

I think it is not advisable to keep using any helmet that is more then 5 years old other then parking lot session.
Maybe for walking in a parking lot, but I wouldn't get on a bike with a helmet that I wouldn't wear for a highway speed get-off. The fall from height generates the same force, the rest is sliding, unless you hit a solid object while sliding.
Remember JBurleigh's video? Maybe 10 mph, in a parking lot, and got a long-lasting concussion out of the deal. No speed doesn't translate to no risk. Eve's boss, 30mph, brand new helmet, brain injury 6-17-06, still not back at work yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enclosed trailers with fumes eat the glue, dirtbike helmets in enclosed trailers just don't last that long ;)

So far, I've seemed to replace my helmet(s) every couple years regardless.

There's always something new, some new helmet that fits better, looks better, feels better, etc.

Oh, and I've always replaced them after a hard shot to the ground with my head.

-MD

Maybe for walking in a parking lot, but I wouldn't get on a bike with a helmet that I wouldn't wear for a highway speed get-off. The fall from height generates the same force, the rest is sliding, unless you hit a solid object while sliding.
Remember JBurleigh's video? Maybe 10 mph, in a parking lot, and got a long-lasting concussion out of the deal. No speed doesn't translate to no risk. Eve's boss, 30mph, brand new helmet, brain injury 6-17-06, still not back at work yet.
Come to think of it you are right. I will just mount mine on the wall then :D

I change mine every single time I crash. Now, if the bike falls over while I'm washing it and the helmet is sitting on the shelf in the garage, I probably wouldn't swap it out. But when I bang my helmet on the garage door over my head as I'm heading out to get on the bike warming up on the driveway, I take pause and reflect on how bad an impact that was.

Here's a photo of my Arai from my crash last June. I took a major head strike to the right side of the helmet, and immediately replaced it (insurance gave me $500):

331026288_6dfab6f3b8.jpg

Here's what the bike looked like afterward (about $2,000 in damage; Foremost was GREAT!):

331026293_d50d5fb632.jpg

Maybe some day I'll re-post the famous video of the actual crash.... :(

Jb

...it's an excellent idea to buy your helmet mail order: the large mail order houses have very fast turnover on their stock, so you're very likely getting a very new helmet. You can check on this simply by asking if your preferred model is popular
If mail ordering, I think popularity of the model likely does indeed make a difference. Mail ordered a Scorpion EXO-700 in matte black last July and, when changing out the liner yesterday, noticed a build date of "November 2005" - 8 months on the shelf before sale. If I'd ordered one of the more popular graphic designs for this model helmet, I would expect that it would have been months newer...

Here's a photo of my Arai from my crash last June. I took a major head strike to the right side of the helmet, and immediately replaced it (insurance gave me $500):
331026288_6dfab6f3b8.jpg
James,

I see a "Fog City" sticker on your Arai helmet, as well as what looks like a "sun shade" strip of come kind on the inside of the visor. Does the sun shade strip sticking to the Fog City shield really work?

Also, what's your replacement helmet?

Thx

I replace every 5-6 years. As much as I use the helmet they are usually worn by then and I've always heard the 5 year rule. Now, it does depend on how much I've used the helmet. There as been a couple of years I rode a lot less than others and that may mean the difference of getting rid of the helmet this year or next.

My helmets are stored in helmet bags in the closet in the house. My significant others helmet doesn't get used near as much as mine and is stored in a dry place so it will probably go longer than 5 years.

Besides, every 4-6 years a new bike is added and ya gotta match the helmet to the new bike, right? :)

I replace mine when the fit starts to go away, when the helmet starts to loosen up and move around on my head, wiggel. That is every two-three years. Of course if I drop it I turn it into a flower pot immediatly.

Around here it's difficult to limit UV exposure on helmets. Dark, matte finish colors can easily reach 140F, even in motion.

I replace the helmet every two years, minimum. The last ones I bought were on closeout special and are now almost one year old to me. Currently looking for new ones.

* Every time it hits the ground or two years, whichever comes first.

I replace mine when the fit starts to go away, when the helmet starts to loosen up and move around on my head, wiggel. That is every two-three years. Of course if I drop it I turn it into a flower pot immediatly.

If that is the only reason. Now days some models come with the replaceable padding.

.James,I see a "Fog City" sticker on your Arai helmet, as well as what looks like a "sun shade" strip of come kind on the inside of the visor. Does the sun shade strip sticking to the Fog City shield really work?

Also, what's your replacement helmet?

Thx
The sun shade strip is one of those accessories that I cannot live without anymore. But I don't use the FogCity insert anymore now that my replacement British-certificed (not Snell) SUOMY comes with an anti-fog shield.

But as I recall, the adhesive on the sun strip was above the Fog City, at least on the top adhesive. It would certainly stick to the FogCity, but not interfere with vision because of its position.

Jb

Just keep in mind that the five year recommendation is made by folks who want to sell helmets. I've never seen any study which specifically looked at the deteoriation of helmet materials with time and storage conditions so we're all flying blind here with no data.

To my mind, a blanket 5-year helmet life is like a blanket one-size-fits-all expiration date for photograhic film - in both cases, it's storage conditions, not time that is critical. In proper storage conditions and with light/careful use, I would expect a helmet to offer all (or nearly all) it's protective properties for a lot longer than five years. Likewise, a helmet that sees a lot of UV and ozone exposure in hot conditions, might be trashed in less than a year.

There is nothing very magic or mysterious about helmets and the key thing is that the other shell hasn't seen an impact that can crack it and that the EPS foam inside hasn't been compressed by impacts (or storage on a mirror stalk) and isn't deteoriating. If you're reasonably sure the helmet is in good condition, I say ride on.

- Mark