Helmet Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am quickly seeing this thread going the way of "Is synthetic Oil Better." Another words, people are going to replace their helmets when they feels it is time, and I doubt if anyone is going to convince them otherwise. Reading all of the responses has convinced me that if you have to ask yourself if it is time to replace your helmet, then it probably is.

Do whatcha like, do it whenya like, do it witdch you ya like.

people are going to replace their helmets when they feels it is time..............Do whatcha like, do it whenya like, do it witdch you ya like.
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

When it comes to fuel, oil, PSI, plugs, tires, knee-dragging, helmets etc..do whatever makes you happy.

In the meantime, between rides watch people squabble on the internet about opinions and chuckle to yourself.

When it comes to fuel, oil, PSI, plugs, tires, knee-dragging, helmets etc..do whatever makes you happy.In the meantime, between rides watch people squabble on the internet about opinions and chuckle to yourself.
hysterical.gif
And while you're at it, read Rottie's most excellent list of FJR stuff.

Do hockey players replace their helmets every time they fall to the ice or go crashing into the boards? If they don't because the helmets are still good, what makes their $50 helmets better than our $500 helmets?
You can't compare the two.

Hockey Helmets don't use the same type of 'poly styrene foam', it's more a rubber padding. At least all of the helmets I have are. It's not the type of thing that compresses and doesn't uncompress.

Needless to say I've never had a good hockey helmet last more than a couple years either.

The sweat just eats them apart including rotting the screws :) But you can refurb most of them by replacing both the screws and the innards, but once the shell is cracked it's a gonner.

Also I don't think you'll ever see anyone test 5 year vs new. The manufacturers would shit if they did.

Just keep in mind that the five year recommendation is made by folks who want to sell helmets. I've never seen any study which specifically looked at the deteoriation of helmet materials with time and storage conditions so we're all flying blind here with no data.
To my mind, a blanket 5-year helmet life is like a blanket one-size-fits-all expiration date for photograhic film - in both cases, it's storage conditions, not time that is critical. In proper storage conditions and with light/careful use, I would expect a helmet to offer all (or nearly all) it's protective properties for a lot longer than five years. Likewise, a helmet that sees a lot of UV and ozone exposure in hot conditions, might be trashed in less than a year.

There is nothing very magic or mysterious about helmets and the key thing is that the other shell hasn't seen an impact that can crack it and that the EPS foam inside hasn't been compressed by impacts (or storage on a mirror stalk) and isn't deteoriating. If you're reasonably sure the helmet is in good condition, I say ride on.

- Mark
Mark:

I agree. One telltale sign that a helmet's useful life has past is when the lining begins to deteriorate. I'm not sure that storage on mirror stalks is going to present a problem, however.

I was always under the impression that a helmet should be rep;aced every 5 years, assumming it hasn't been dropped. I also only buy Arai full face. They are expensive, but like Bell said years ago, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet". I have proven to many people that a quality full face is cooler and warmer, as needed. For years I had helmets from as far back as the early 70's on the wall. Started with my old Bell Star from that era. Finally got rid of them. I figure $400 plus is cheap insurance.