Helmet Search Leads To Shark

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Coming from a cruiser and having had a real attitude towards wearing helmets, I had much to learn about them.

I have "Worn" my way through many helmets the past 3+ years. I found the Shark Evoline (series 1) a few years back.

I really liked its features. I bought a small, as it felt the best in the store. Going out on long rides however was a different

story. The "Side" fit (Width) felt great, but I would develop a rash or rub on the forehead. I then bought a Medium Shark

series 2 for my wife. Of course she rarely rides, so I used it regularly. No rub on the forehead but the width felt to "Loose".

The balance with the chin guard in the back position felt better than the series 1.

The Good:

Chin bar locks all the way back for eating ...

Pop down Sun Visor

The Bad:

Heavy

Round shape

Safety feature makes a rider open shield part way before opening chin bar

Now the series 3 is out and from reviews it sounds like my next helmet !

Love the High Viz:

Review-https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-hakka-helmet

I had to try and figure out just what was 200 grams (High school was so long ago)

I think it is close to 8ozs (?)

All the bad- taken care of? I can only hope !!!

Tony,

I think your comfort issue is due to your jamming your oval shaped head into a round shaped helmet. You should definitely go try on that new Shark helmet and wear it for a couple of hours around the shop if possible before committing to buy it.

I did peruse the new Evoline helmets when I was recently searching for a new one, as I am also enamored of modular helmets now. But I really didn't dig the funky way the chin bar flips back and would never want to ride with it in that configuration.

In my searches I found the Scorpion EXO-900 and managed to pick one up as a store demo which saved me some $$. The fit on those is more of a "round-oval" (somewhere between round and oval) which may fit your melon better than a true round. But the only way to know for sure is to put it on for an extended time. I'm really enamored with my new Scorpion. It is a high quality unit and would save you a considerable amount over the Shark. They also come in HiViz, if that is your thing, but my demo unit is just plain old silver.

YMMV

101:

Since you’re new to helmets, I’m going to get a little loquacious in handing over some of the helmet knowledge I’ve paid dearly for over the years. As Fred pointed out, the single most important feature of any helmet is that it be designed for YOUR head. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Almost any DOT certified helmet will provide identical protection if things go south. Differences in price are generally a function of comfort items (venting, spiffy linings) or weight (expensive materials). But, if the helmet shape does not match your head, all the other stuff is totally useless. Webbikeworld has a pretty good run-down on helmet shapes. If you have a retailer near you, take the time to try on several models. And be sure to leave each one on for at least twenty minutes as you wander about the store.

Flip-up helmets, while handy as all get out, are necessarily going to be heavy. What with the hinges, reinforced backing in the hinge areas, doubling up of plastic where the face piece closes over the jar area. Unless you’re willing to cough up $4.6 bazillion for one of the models made from unobtainium.

Drop down sunshades: Again, very handy. But bear in mind that drop downs (as with sunglasses) do nothing to hold down in-helmet temperatures. Something to think about seeing as you live where there’s a fair bit of sunshine. As do I.

You should probably resign yourself to the reality that obtaining a proper helmet is going to take some study, research, and effort. But please trust me on this; once you’re out there on the road, the effort will be rewarded many times over.

Good luck.

AK

I had the disappointment of accepting that I had the wrong shaped head for the helmet. My wife has the shape for the series 2, I do not. This is why I am so stoked

about the changes that Shark made with this helmet. All the reviews state they went to an oval fit. I have worn the Shark series 1 on 4 rides of over 10,000 miles (10/10ths)

and found the problems I listed. The last ride I used my wife's series 2 and had no real issues except shape and the visor safety feature can be a PITA when you are in a hurry.

The last ride was a 11,000+ mile rally with 4k getting there and coming back.

The very issues I had with the Shark have been addressed. I will fit one as soon as I can find one in a store. Even the online sites that have them on sale are sold out with my

size in the graphics I desire. The locking back of the chin bar is wonderful when you are trying to eat. I tried full face without a modular ability, and developed bloody fingers from

trying to eat~ not to mention the distraction of an atomic fireball rolling around in your helmet. Safety concerns about the chin bar locked back are understood, but I have to weigh

the positives also.

I lock the chin bar back in traffic jams in extreme heat, when I refuel, when I need to talk... there are those times. The drop down sunshade is great if it is the last fuel stop with sunlight

A rider can take the sunglasses off then and not have to fumble around on the road trying to take them off and store them. You can just switch over to the drop down until the sun is gone.

And in extreme sunlight I use both sunglasses and the drop down. So safety and practical use are taken into consideration. I think the misunderstanding is with the type of riding I do (For now)

I have many helmets for different rides. Yet the extreme rides I wear the Sharks. I'll bet you in the IBR next year that over 90% of the riders will be wearing modulars. Those riders have

ridden a few miles between them. They weigh the safety with comfort along with practical abilities allowed, and most of them choose modular helmets.

I just hope the changes that are being advertised are actual. If they are... FANTASTIC !!! They will have addressed all of my complaints.

I say all this with respect to you riders. As I said... I have much to learn. I feel I am getting there one piece of equipment and farkle at a time. I had to buy a helmet to do my first SS1000.

within 2 weeks I rode a 100CCC with that helmet, blue jeans, water socks, an Orlando Majic blast jacket (Certainly NOT waterproof) and FroggToggs. No side bags- Nothin' but a OEM trunk

to hold my log. SO I have come a ways since then. Trial and error and good advice from others on this forum have helped me ride safer and in comfort.

I wrote this more for a product review. Many LD riders have never considered this helmet, or were like me and had the wrong shaped head. So consider this a "Heads~Up" there is

hope. And I am one who is hoping the changes are actual and work for me.

+1 on both comments above. I don't think Shark helmets fit your head properly so not sure why you'd buy another. Unless you know for a fact the new one does fit you right...

Each maker seems to model their helmets on a diffrent head shape. It does take time to find the one that matches your noggin the best.

Choosing one that simply has a feature you like but fits poorly reminds me of the many women say "aren't my new shoes absolutely fabulous? .....they are killing me by the way.....but they're gorgeous..!!."

If you have your heart set on a modular, you're in luck today because there's alot on the market now. Shop around. My dealer even let's me take a ride with a helmet before buying it.

Shoei helmets seem to fit my head. Took a few years to find this out...

Last edited by a moderator:
They are pricey but you should perhaps try on some Arai helmets. One of the nice things about them is that different models are for different shaped heads. Usually they'll have one in their product line that'll fit your head. Also, the shield change system cannot be beat.

That said, I'll be shopping around for my next helmet, but it'll be hard to draw me away from the fit and features for my head that Arai offers.

Nice looking helmet, I will have to give them a try next time I see one.

I agree some of the feedbacks, that some helmets fit better on different people and vice versa.

I believe this is the reason why more and more retailers are allowing you to try it and return it if it does not fit withing a short period of time :)

101:

If you have a retailer near you, take the time to try on several models. And be sure to leave each one on for at least twenty minutes as you wander about the store.
Twenty minutes for each model? I think I have a better idea. Try on several brands of the style you like for 2-3 minutes each. It won't be long before you realize you either have a round head or an oval head.

Now, take your newfound knowledge to determine which manufacturer makes helmets in your shape and style and price/feature range. Try on their helmet for 10 minutes. You should realize within the first 2 minutes whether or not you need the additional 8 minutes. Next,buy it.

Seriously, the ony other thing you need to consider is whether they ascribe to DOT or the European standard. I bought a Shark for two reasons. First, it fit my head. Second, but just as important, it met the European standard.

Couldn't be happier.

Mark