Helmet Slap at highway speeds

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenRoad

Reaction score
Need some help please?? I bought an '05 non abs and have tried 3 new windshields: Big Rifle, and 2 Cee Bailys and can't get rid of this annoying popping to the head noise. Literally feels like somebody is slapping the top of my helmet HARD with a leather glove on and repeatedly. I'm to the point that I can't ride with a full face Shoei x-1100 with the windscreen down over 50. Depressing. With a 3/4 helmet it doesn't happen but I like to wear a full face cause I like to eat solid food and I like my face.

Has anyone else had this trouble. God I hope so and also have a solution for me. Other wise will have to sell this bike that I love in every other respect.

BTW I'm 5'11" and weigh 175 if it matters. Thank you so much for any help you fellas can share with me...

What? If you've got something where it's making noise or feeling like a hit and it goes away with another helmet.....then it probably is the helmet. You check to make 100% sure the chin strap or other bucling hardware is not moving? Try taping it down for a try.

Have you tried a different full-face helmet or a flip-up?

Seems pretty extreme to sell a bike because of something that seems so obviously another variable.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best improvements to my '04 FJR is the Laminar Lip

https://www.laminarlip.com/whydoi.htm

Didn't know just how much it improved the wind on my helmet till I removed it for a few days last week. The bottom stickey thingee came loose & I didn't want it to fly away so I removed it till I could get some plastic screws & mount it permantly (as they recommend for high speeds). It comes with 6 stickey velcro thingiees for mounting & they lasted for 2 years before one of them came loose. Anyhow, after removeing it, in a rain storm no less, I found that riding without it is not an option for me. I ride a lot at 80-85mph around the Hotlanta Xways and always with shield in the down position. It'll cost you a little but it works for me with tons less wind noise & helmet buffeting

Later,,,, De :)

Literally feels like somebody is slapping the top of my helmet HARD with a leather glove on and repeatedly.
Ummm, is your pillion trying to tell you something? :blink:

?????
motrax_loptoff_tiger.jpg
?????

What? If you've got something where it's making noise or feeling like a hit and it goes away with another helmet.....then it probably is the helmet. You check to make 100% sure the chin strap or other bucling hardware is not moving? Try taping it down for a try.
Have you tried a different full-face helmet or a flip-up?

Seems pretty extreme to sell a bike because of something that seems so obviously another variable.
yep, agreed. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Need some help please?? I bought an '05 non abs and have tried 3 new windshields: Big Rifle, and 2 Cee Bailys and can't get rid of this annoying popping to the head noise. Literally feels like somebody is slapping the top of my helmet HARD with a leather glove on and repeatedly. I'm to the point that I can't ride with a full face Shoei x-1100 with the windscreen down over 50. Depressing. With a 3/4 helmet it doesn't happen but I like to wear a full face cause I like to eat solid food and I like my face.
Has anyone else had this trouble. God I hope so and also have a solution for me. Other wise will have to sell this bike that I love in every other respect.

BTW I'm 5'11" and weigh 175 if it matters. Thank you so much for any help you fellas can share with me...

The only time I have experienced this is when I for got to secure my chinstrap.

You got Lapels on your jacket?

I had that problem with the Arai helmets, so I got a scorpion exo-700 and a V-stream windshield and its fine now. Definately something to do with your helmet..too loose maybe. If all else fails, just lift your windshield up a little until the air turbulance breaks above your helmet, or try a V-stream which is over +4 inches taller than your stock. If that fails, maybe your just dreaming and really hitting the headboard. :D

If one of your windshields is a CeeBailey +2/+4 with a flip, then you should be fine on the bike. I agree that it definitely sounds like a helmet issue.

If you want, I might be willing to cut some air ports in your CB to help reduce the turbulence. But it would have to be understood as No Guarantee, enter at your own risk.

Shield-taped.jpg

Shield-finished.jpg

Also, have to ask if you are using bar risers or not? At 5-11 and slim, if you also have bar risers then you are sitting up pretty damn tall in the saddle. The CB with flip will definitely help.

But do as the others have recommended and first try a different lid.

You didn't mention what helmet you had... Would be interested in knowing.

I get buffeting with the stock windshield all the way up with both my Nolan and X11. All I have to do is lower it about an inch and I'm good.

Looking for a larger shield for the winter months but haven't made a decision yet.

-MD

Cool! I've got something new and dopey to add to the story on my profile!

"I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom. Then it felt just like somebody was slapping me on top of the head wearing a leather glove--Hard.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

"I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom. Then it felt just like somebody was slapping me on top of the head wearing a leather glove--Hard.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....
Can we quote you when the Connie14 becomes America's ST darling?

Unlike TWN, who is simply an STD.

Sing with me folks...

"We are the world... We are the children..."

or

"Eboneeeeee and ivoreeeeeeee..."

Can we quote you when the Connie14 becomes America's ST darling?
America's ST darling until all the inexplicable bitching starts.....

Thanks for taking the time to write in your replies, guys. I never have anything loose on me and have no pillion, thankfully. And the helmet and strap is always snug. Thought the Cee Bailly with flip would do it to no avail. I have an R1200RT and don't have this problem with same helmet - Shoei X-11, so I guess its something about the bike. Wearing a 3/4 helmet or riding with the X-11 with screen open seems to take care of the problem thru I guess a redirection of airflow but I like to keep my screen down for obvious reasons and thats when the slapping starts and its very consistent. Beats the hell out of the top of my helmet. Makes me feel like turning around and slapping somebody else upside the head for hitting me like that. Very irritating.

Scythian - I'm honored and got a good belly laugh off of your profile story. :D

TWN - Rumble strip sounds cheap. May look goofy but who cares if it works. Think I'll try this one first.

Jeff those cuts look sharp. What is the result of cutting those holes in there for you.

ZZ -Wish it was hitting the headboard. Ha! But the V-Stream maybe the answer. My Cee Baileys measures 23" at the bottom of the "w" and 21" from the middle of the "w" to the top. But all the way up does not take me out of the head popping turbulence.

Thx again guys. Got some sperimentin to do. Will let you know what works. Any more ideas would be welcome from someone that has dealt with this issue.

I have a Fulmer S7 that I can not use on my FJR. No "slapping" ..it just tends to cause the helmet to rise and fall. Annoying. I got a Shoei R-1000. Problem solved. Although I am unsure what is causing your symptoms, I would suggest trying a diffrent helmet. Kind of sounds like your visor is the problem, but I would try out another helmet. Some bike shops will, if your a cool guy, let you test drive one on your bike before you buy it...

KM

I previously had an HJC helmet and noticed a lot of buffeting. I now have an Arai and it is way smoother aerodynamically - I tend to ride with the windshield all the way down. Haven't had any buffeting problems even at 100+ mph.