Helmet speakers vs sound reducing earphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicycle52

Reaction score
I just set up a new Autocom system (Took advantage of their current 50% off sale) and I am having difficulty with the speakers in my helmet. In order to locate the speakers for optimal sound they are placed partially on the edge of the chin straps and they tend to get knocked off or move when I put on the helmet. Sound is good but putting on and removing the helmet is a PITA. Would like feedback on earphones (custom molded vs non custom) and or suggestions of helmets more suitable to helmet speakers. Currently using an HJC Symac (Modular/flip). Would like to stay with flip style maybe a Jarrow???

I just set up a new Autocom system (Took advantage of their current 50% off sale) and I am having difficulty with the speakers in my helmet. In order to locate the speakers for optimal sound they are placed partially on the edge of the chin straps and they tend to get knocked off or move when I put on the helmet. Sound is good but putting on and removing the helmet is a PITA. Would like feedback on earphones (custom molded vs non custom) and or suggestions of helmets more suitable to helmet speakers. Currently using an HJC Symac (Modular/flip). Would like to stay with flip style maybe a Jarrow???
I have a Jarow flip and use custom molded earphones. I have no speakers in my helmet. I much prefer it this way. I got the Autocom Active 7, cut off the speakers, stripped back the wires and wired in a female 1/2 stereo plug from Radio Shack.

I put in my earphones, put on my helmet, plug my headphones into the stereo jack, plug my helmet into the Active 7 and I am off to the races.

Flip helmets are noisy, and I HATE noise. But I love my flip, so this works great for me.

Westones, pricey but work well + good service. Ian, Iowa

Ear buds are the way to go if you're hung-up on the best sound quality. Personally, though I'd prefer higher quality sound, I chose 'headphone' type speaker set-up. The ones that I got from Softline are the best I've ever had and the integrate into my Shoei RF1000 quite nicely using Velcro to secure them into the built-in recesses of the lining.

Why do I prefer these over ear buds? In warm weather, my head sweats big time (too much brain power at work :blink: ), eventually reaching my ears which causes the buds to slip out. This is especially true on bumpier roads. Also, dunno if it's the shape of my ears v. helmet, but it always takes a couple of shots putting the helmet on without the buds being dragged out. Lastly, and this is a personal distinction, I've a blown left eardrum from some dumb **** lobbing and M80 between me and a wall back in '86. So I have a tough time hearing certain tones and or those tones are vary painful which means I can't hear the traffic or I'm too distracted with pain to hear the traffic well with ear buds. I feel more comfortable with the headsets because those annoying tones are lessened over the buds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had speakers, regular ipod earphones and in-ear buds. The Koss cheapo in-ear buds work very well. I recently purchased a pair of Phillips HE592 ear buds, and they are my new favorites over the Koss. The sound quality is better, and overall they are louder.

Phillips HE592

I have used helmet headsets from various companies for at least 10 years. Of those, the Air Rider headsets have been the ones I've liked best. For even better sound quality, cutting out the wind noise that is present in riding can make a huge difference. The best way to do that it to pump your audio straight into the ear (without the jump from a set of speakers to the ears).

I got my first set of custom-molded ear monitors about 3 years ago. The audio quality improvement (and hearing protection provided) was amazing. I actually turn DOWN the audio because it's lowest setting is plenty loud enough thanks to the hearing protection nature of a set of custom molded plugs. On top of that, the base response was night and day when compared to even the best headsets I'd used up to that point.

I have both helmet speakers and custom molded earphones. I'm not convinced the earphones are "better" than my properly-located Autocom speakers.

I notice a fair amount of system noise (not RPM-related) that is completely masked if I use the speakers with plain molded silicone plugs. The volume is adequate and not as dangerous as the earphone potential (I have to turn down my sources to near-zero output with the earphones).

On a related issue, anyone else notice a difference in their Pro7's noise level using 12V versus 9V battery? Even with my bike turned off the 12V supply is noisier. I e-mailed AutoCom but they poo-poo'd me by saying I need to connect direct to battery, versus my Powerlet tied direct to the 12V battery (yeah, right). At least the 9V lasts 10+ hours.

Check you have the speakers properly fitted. Go to the Autocom web site and look up your helmet in the "Brochures and Product Support" section.

I notice a fair amount of system noise (not RPM-related) that is completely masked if I use the speakers with plain molded silicone plugs.  The volume is adequate and not as dangerous as the earphone potential (I have to turn down my sources to near-zero output with the earphones).
Since hearing damage is based on volume*duration of exposuse, conside what you posted about your experience.

Aside from the audio hum, think about how you have to turn up the volume on your headset speakers to hear it was well as when using the ear monitors. Why would that be? The headset speakers have to overcome ambient noise (and any foam plugs you may be wearing). That means the ambient noise+the increased volume of the headset speakers=greater volume (than ear monitors). Even if duration of exposure was the same, the potential for hearing loss is greater with the headsets simply by reason of the need to crank up the volume to hear the music as well.

IOW: Turning DOWN the volume with ear monitors is the result of better hearing protection/more efficient delivery, [the ability to deliver understandable music (comm) at lower sound levels].

I have found that ear monitors are so efficient at delivering programming in the harsh environment of riding that I can even hear the HDD activity on my MP3 player. This in spite of turning down the volume (a LOT) when compared to helmet headsets. I consider this a good thing. Not because of the audio anomolies but because I know that it's better to be pushing less sound pressure from music, CB, wind noise, and so forth (no matter what the perception might be created/masked via the headsets).

I know that's a rambling commentary, but talking around the issue for the first time can be that way some times.

Bottom line: Turning the audio down = good. Cranking it up to hear it over everything else = bad.

Since hearing damage is based on volume*duration of exposuse, conside what you posted about your experience.
Aside from the audio hum, think about how you have to turn up the volume on your headset speakers to hear it was well as when using the ear monitors. Why would that be?
While I agree with you wholeheartedly on the message, that earbuds are better for your hearing, you're overlooking a big part of this equation.

It's easier to move the small earbud speaker diaphram than the larger headphone style speaker. The earbuds will use less electrical energy to to achieve the same volume in the ear. Just because you turn the knob down doesn't mean it's any quiter in the end, which is the important thing.

It's still entirely possible to run earbuds at such a high volume as to cause hearing damage just like wind noise and other headphones.

Bounce, my custom 'dumb' plugs attenuate high-frequency noise much more than the mid and low tones. For instance, I can hear my 8500's radar alarms clearly through my plugs. Even entering middle age I've still got phenomenal hearing (up through 25 KHz in isolation booth testing) so I may be especially sensitive to high freq. noise.

I also know the fatiguing effect of exposure to noise. My feeling is my helmet speakers + silicone plugs are a more effective combination giving me lower total in-ear volume, YMMV.

It's still entirely possible to run earbuds at such a high volume as to cause hearing damage just like wind noise and other headphones.
No doubt that there's the potential to blow out your ears if you crank up a set of ear monitors.

The trick is: [SIZE=21pt]don't[/SIZE]. :haha:

IOW: The volume control is in your control. Ambient noise may be another story.

(btw: I don't use ear buds as they don't create the seal/hearing protection of custom molded ear plugs (or even foam ear plugs).)

I was refering to "earbuds" in the generic sense of in-ear device rather than a headphones type device.

(btw: I don't use ear buds as they don't create the seal/hearing protection of custom molded ear plugs (or even foam ear plugs).)
For you perhaps. I don't use custom molded ear plugs because they did not create the seal/hearing protection that my ER-6 earbuds do.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

My experiences, and obviously YMMV:

Custom molded earbud speakers: DO NOT get Westones. They are a hard vinyl material or such and are more painful and do not seal as well as the softer silicon that Precision Labs uses. Just about all of them out there use precision labs, including bounce's source. Various vendors may do the fitting, but the molds are sent to either Precision Lab or Westone to have them made. Like I said, make sure you go with Precision Lab. Cheaper and better IMHO. And when it comes to motorcycle custom earbuds, Precision Labs make a bunch more than Westone. Like a 10 to 1 ratio. More than likely a reason for that.

After saying all that, custom molded earbuds did not work for me. And I went back to an audiologist several times to have them remade. They just did not seal for me.

I ended up going with Etymotic ER-6 earbud speakers. I use them with the silicon rubber covers. You can also use foam. I have never tried the foam as the rubber works for me.

er6-all3.jpg

Excellent noise attenuation. Great sound. Shop around, and you can frequently find them for $100 or so. Still, depending on what helmet I wear, comfort can be a factor. (Also had the same issue with the custom molded earbuds) If the side of the helmet is pressing at all on my ears, I will eventually get discomfort. Also the cords can be a PITA, and if you mistakenly tug on one not only does it h urt, but can unseal the earbud.

It is for some of those reasons, I plan on installing speakers in one of my helmets. I will still use the ER-6s, but I also want the option of having speakers in the helmet. Of course I will wear foam earplugs with helmet speakers, so sound quality may be degraded a bit, but that is not a factor for me. I know there can be issues with helmet speakers, but I want to give them a try. I want the flexibility of using either helmet speakers, or the er-6s.

As for hearing protection, I can't see any difference between proper sealing earbud speakers, whether custom or not, and helmet speakers used with good ear plugs. Both attenuate the bulk of noise, and allow you to vary the volume of what you want to hear.

Cripes! This is becoming a "dreaded" thread!

How about wireless phone use. Can these headsets be used for a cell phone? Or is there a system that will let a call come in while listening to the tunes? Just curious. :eh: Painman.

How about wireless phone use. Can these headsets be used for a cell phone? Or is there a system that will let a call come in while listening to the tunes? Just curious. :eh: Painman.
Autocomm.

Currently 50% off on all their products.

Painman, among myself and my riding buddies we found four out of six cell phones worked 100% with AutoCom Pro7's. Some phones don't play nice with the system. That's another reason to buy from a local dealer, to check that out.

Sound quality varies from installation to installation but our 'best' set-up is so sweet you can't even tell he's out riding if you call his cell.

Autocomm.
Currently 50% off on all their products.
Hell yeah, dude, I am frickin' pumped!!!

I was a c-hair away from ordering an Active-7 Smart, then the sale!!!! Damn straight, saved 150 bones.

Now that is a sale. Looking forward to it's delivery, hopefully by Friday. If so, it will be in my tankbag by Saturday.

-BD