Helmet speakers vs sound reducing earphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ER-6i's arrived today and WOW! These things ROCK.

The seal is great! I can't wait to hear (or not hear) the background noise on the bike!

One of the best buys I've made! Thanks for the input all! :D

Ultimate Ears also makes in ear monitors, and they're a normally stocked item at Guitar Center. 2 models available, $100 and $250. The more expensive have separate woofers and tweeters. I haven't used these personally, they're sold as alternative upgrades to the Shure IEM buds. They can also be used with earmolds if desired. I have been told by customers that the $250 model can be used as a substitute for studio monitor headphones, so the sound quality is excellent.

Disclaimer!

I work (God help me...) at Guitar Center. There are 3 or 4 reputable companies making high quality ear buds servicing the professional musician market. Ultimate Ears is just one of those, YMMV, etc. etc.

Pepperell

I have a set of priorities that have me using the Autocom 7 speakers in my Shoei Synchrotek.

First, Howard Leight Max (33dbA attenuation) ear plugs get the ambient riding noise level down to an acceptable level for me. Nothing else I've tried have done that, specifcally molded ear plugs - with or without speakers.

Secondly, I do not listen to music when riding as I find that unacceptably distracting. Consequently, the sounds I do want to hear are going to be my Valentine One, and FRS/GMRS voice traffic.

Thirdly, I don't want to screw around with things, especially adjusting stuff before, during or after Riding.

My Autocom 7 speakers can be placed in the Synchrotek aimed at my ears, and voices come through with more than enough volume, and supposing good transmission quality, sound quality that allows clear understanding of what's being said.

Not only that, but "just checking it out", music from my iRiver sounds good enough to me as well, though I need a Boostaroo to get enough penetrative volume. But, do remember, I'm not really after superb sounding music and what I find acceptable might not please others.

Again, the key seems to me to be proper placement of the Autocom speakers. It's easy to do in the Synchrotek, which otherwise I find to be a pleasing helmet as well.

Best wishes.

I have a set of the Koss earbuds and they worked fine under my old HJC lid. I am now wearing a Shoei Syncrotec and it fits alot tighter on the sides of my head. This makes the Koss 'buds painful after about 1/2 hour of riding. Do any on the other "earspeakers" fit further into the ear? I also wouldn't be opposed to trying helmet speakers, but I'm not sure about fitment into the Shoei. Do you remove some of the padding when you put speakers in?

Lee

I use Sensaphonics Prophonic 2X-S. Just Google that to find the link. There's a number of discussions on high fidelity audio sites like ipastudio, head-fi, etc. on the merits of Westone vs. Ultimate Ears vs. Sensaphonics, the three main providers of custom IEMs. From an audio fidelity perspective, they sound pretty much similar, although you may get into an ...energetic discussion if you blaspheme with such a suggestion on some sites.

I think if you are a rider considering going this route, Sensas deserve a look for a couple of reasons:

1) I believe Sensas may be about the least protruding. In my ears, they don't protrude any farther out than the edge of my concha (the bowl-shaped area around your outer ear canal). In other words, they're pretty much flat and completely inside your ear so they won't push against your helmet.

2) Sensa 2X-S are also soft. That is, the whole driver/crossover/connector/air tube assembly is inside a soft, compliant material that is quite comfortable. I read something farther up this thread about how uncomfortable Westones are. Generally, I think any of the hard-shell customs might be uncomfortable inside a helmet. Westones also stick out quite a bit farther than Sensas.

Regarding the issue above about turning down IEMs compared to conventional cans (headphones), you actually do tend to turn down the sound pressure because of the extra isolation. Yes, they are also more efficient and put out higher sound pressure at a given drive current, but moreover they sound louder at a given sound pressure because of the extra isolation (about -25 to -30 dB). We perceive loudness of a source relative to the loudness of background noise, so isolating 'phones of any sort sound louder at a given sound pressure in a given environment compared to non-isolating headphones at the same sound pressure in the same environment.

Unfortunately, hearing damage doesn't occur as a function of relative sound pressure, but rather on an absolute basis vs. time. So there is merit to being able to perceive high sound volume at a low absolute sound pressure.

On the down side, you don't put your headphones on simply by putting your helmet on with IEMs compared to helmet-mounted speakers. It is really no more of an inconvenience than putting in earplugs. But if you tend to be really pressed for time and don't want to fiddle with something else before riding away, that might steer you toward some in-helmet solution.

What? No "rock-on" smiley?

$0.02

I have a set of the Koss earbuds and they worked fine under my old HJC lid. I am now wearing a Shoei Syncrotec and it fits alot tighter on the sides of my head. This makes the Koss 'buds painful after about 1/2 hour of riding. Do any on the other "earspeakers" fit further into the ear? I also wouldn't be opposed to trying helmet speakers, but I'm not sure about fitment into the Shoei. Do you remove some of the padding when you put speakers in?
Lee
The ear monitors I use fit completely in the ear because they are designed around a custom molded ear plug.

Since I am poor, and can't afford to spend 100 plus $ on fancy molded ear monitors, I went the cheap way to find a system that worked well.

The ear buds that came with my Dell Dj sucked and wouldn't stay in my ear when I put my helmet on. So I got a cheap set of $16.00 Koss ear buds. They sound good but the little foam pieces they included made them stick out too much and pushed on my ears with the helmet on and became uncomfortable. I ended up taking a set of Moldex Rocket ear plugs and cutting off the plugged up end and it fits perfectly on the little stub of the Koss. then snip off the tip of the ear plug to let the sound come out and viola' , a nice fitting, comfy set of ear buds that cost under $20. :D

Tim

I wear a shoei full face, and installed the helmet speakers from riders wearhouse (you know the aerowstitch guys). the speakers they sell are from Chatterbox company and are inexpensive (@$39) including the chord and the clips for securing the wire to the edge of the helmet. The sound with my Dell DJ is incredible. you get plenty of volume and great clarity. I always ride with my DJ playin' through my helmet speakers and I highly recomend them over any in ear type buds. these don't hurt! VT :agent: