Helmet Speakers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Av8rider

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Shoei RF1000, oh and it came woth a brand new FJR!300A :yahoo: I would like to listen to music (iPod) and possibly be able to use my cell phone. I tried just pulling my helmet over my earplugs but that was hit and miss whether the earplugs would stay in.

How are other riders accomplishing this?

What kind of helmet speakers would you recommend for my helmet?

What is the audio quality of most helmet speakers?

Thanks

I've tried helmet speakers and have not had success. Others have had success with them.

For many, earbud speakers are the solution. For example: Etymotic ER-6

I use the speakers that come with the Starcom1 Advance

Some helmets are good for in-helmet speakers, some aren't. Arai is very good - there is actually a cavity in the cheek pad where you can mount the speakers and you don't feel them. Just pop the cheekpad out, remove the cover, stick the speaker to the cheekpad using the 2-sided tape provided, run the wires around the back and you're set. Took me all of about 5 minutes to install them.

+1 on the ER-6.

I picked up a set a few months back. They work great and a very comfy. Hardly even know they are in my ears.

Tim

I took the speakers out of an old but good set of headphones & stuck them in my helmet. Of course I had to have some surgery performed to shorten the headphone wire. Now I have a good sounding set of speakers in my helmet w/ a quick connect coming out of the right side of my helmet... which connects to a wire that goes to my MP3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how you guys use helmet speakers on the FJR. I have a Shoei RF1000 and it sounds like a jet taking off on that bike (shield down) so I have to use earplugs just to ride it (which I hate on longer trips..ears get sore). I tried a Cee Bailey +4 windshield which worked all the way up but draws a lot of heat up around the rider and I didn't like the way it looked. Wish I could come up with something that works as the wind noise is my #1 complaint with the bike.

Gary

Another user of the ER-6s. I always wore earplugs so this option works for me.

Somewhat of a small hassle time wise in installing but no different than the plugs.

Really good sounds though :clapping:

I don't know how you guys use helmet speakers on the FJR. I have a Shoei RF1000 and it sounds like a jet taking off on that bike (shield down) so I have to use earplugs just to ride it (which I hate on longer trips..ears get sore). I tried a Cee Bailey +4 windshield which worked all the way up but draws a lot of heat up around the rider and I didn't like the way it looked. Wish I could come up with something that works as the wind noise is my #1 complaint with the bike.
Gary
Have you tried alternative plugs that are interchangeable with the earphones? Some are rubber and some are foam.

The manufacturer should have some info. Mine came with them.

Gary
Have you tried alternative plugs that are interchangeable with the earphones? Some are rubber and some are foam.

The manufacturer should have some info. Mine came with them.
I've tried several types of foam ones and even a custom made set and they all hurt my ears after a day or so. The foam ones actually work better than the custom made pair and I can deal with it but I wish I could find a windshield that would lower the noise level without bringing all the heat up and not look to big on the bike (I know..in a perfect world). I don't listen to music much but I use the ER's when I do. They work great but again I can only go a day or so with them without pain.

I've tried several types of foam ones and even a custom made set and they all hurt my ears after a day or so. The foam ones actually work better than the custom made pair and I can deal with it but I wish I could find a windshield that would lower the noise level without bringing all the heat up and not look to big on the bike (I know..in a perfect world). I don't listen to music much but I use the ER's when I do. They work great but again I can only go a day or so with them without pain.
I've had the same trouble, and had given up on finding ear plugs that I could actually use. My son gave me a pair of these:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp...;id=prod1707479

They're cheap, I can use them for extended periods of time without discomfort, and they block sound to the max. They beat everything else I wasted money on.

The trick to getting your helmet onwith the earbuds in place is using a skull cap/helmet liner. Earbuds in, skull cap on, helmet slides over the cap without snagging your earbuds. Also keeps the inside of your helmet cleaner. That reminds me I need to wash my cap.

Gary

I also use the ER6 earphones..(I use the ER6i actualy not entirely sure of the diffrences in the two, but thought the "i" model sounded better)

https://tinyurl.com/5r9dqw

These are not just stereo earphones, but ARE noise reducing earplugs too..(38db reduction if memory serves me correctly)

SO these not only cut outside noise, (wind) but because they do, you don't have to have the volume cranked up to max to hear your tunes...this makes your battery last longer, along with your hearing.

The ER6i's don't stick out much from my Dumbo sized ears..so I don't have a problem of them popping out if I'm carefull pulling on my helmet..(also a RF1000)

KM

Let me butt in here and ask you'se guys that use the ER6's and like them, how big are your ear canals? I know... this is an intensely personal question. But I happen to have big holes in my head, and have a hard time to find even the expandy foam ear plugs that will work effectively. And I'm just talking ear plugs here, not the ear speakers. Well, actually my left ear canal is significantly larger caliber then the right. If they were both the size of the right one I'd be golden.

The best configuration for ear speakers that I have tried to date is the Skull Candy brand, "Smokin' Buds", but I had to remove the stock silicone rubber fittings they came with and replace them with some of the expandy foam fittings from a pair of "Koss Sparkplugs". FWIW, the Koss's worked well as headphones but there isn't enough sound insulation since they have holes in the abck side of the speakers.

Interesting note: The "Smokin' Buds" look (suspiciously) exactly like these earphones from Aerostich except I got them at Best Buy for half the coinage. I think their ear foamies look much better than what I have jerry rigged, so I may try ordering some of their replacement foams.

Anyway, back to the E6's. Will they fill the huge holes in my gourd and give me good sound attenuation? So far, nothing else quite measures up.

I found a pair of clip on rubber inserts that attach to any typical earbuds and use those. It lets you plug them into your ears to isloate the music and remove them from the earbuds when its time to buy new ones. Found them at target in the Ipod accessories section. Use them at the gym, too...

I did pretty well with dissecting a pair of headphones, hiding the wires in the liner, and wiring in a jack. I sewed a patch cable into my jacket liner to run between the ipod and helmet jack. Once I settle on a bluetooth unit I'll probably just use the speakers that come with it.

I've had the same trouble, and had given up on finding ear plugs that I could actually use. My son gave me a pair of these:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp...;id=prod1707479

They're cheap, I can use them for extended periods of time without discomfort, and they block sound to the max. They beat everything else I wasted money on.

Thanks, I'll have to get a set and try them out.

Gary

Let me butt in here and ask you'se guys that use the ER6's and like them, how big are your ear canals?
I have fairly big holes I guess, the ER6i's did come with diffrent earpiece ends. A foam set and a silcone thing (like in the photo in my link)

I use the silicone ones as they are the easiest to clean, the foam ones actual fit better. You can buy the generic foam earplugs and cut them to use with the earphones BTW.

If you really have a problem with a good fit, then the custom made ones are the way to go. You have your ear doctor make a mold of your ears and they use that to make your earphones.

Someone here should have a link about them........?

EDIT: here's one company:

https://tinyurl.com/4e28kx

KM

I use the speakers that come with the Starcom1 Advance Some helmets are good for in-helmet speakers, some aren't. Arai is very good - there is actually a cavity in the cheek pad where you can mount the speakers and you don't feel them. Just pop the cheekpad out, remove the cover, stick the speaker to the cheekpad using the 2-sided tape provided, run the wires around the back and you're set. Took me all of about 5 minutes to install them.
Exactly what I have, helmet too. They work fantastic. Excellent sound and quality.