Helmet Speakers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find my er6i's on my last trip, so ran out to the local Apple store to get some more. well, they didn't have them anymore, but they had a bunch of these guys...

Shure

I think I got the 210s. Mostly cuz I know I didn't pay as much as the 310s cost.

They come with a variety of rubber ear buds and foamies in many sizes. I found the big foamies did the best about staying in and keeping noise out, much better than the flange tips on the er6i's. I think even better than the er6i foamies as well.

The one minus is on helmet removal.... the Shure's stick out a tad more, so they get a bit ripped out of your ear which is a bit annoying. But a good earphone for Shure. :grin:

I've tried helmet speakers, but found that I had to blast away to get through the foam earplugs that I typically wear. Even blasting away, sound quality suffered. The combo that works best for me is a set of "audiophile" quality earplugs from Lee Parks Design at www.leeparksdesign.com. They don't stick out much so interference with the donning & removal of the helmet is manageable. With a little more practice, I don't think that it will be an issue. Sound is excellent. I've had to reduce the volume setting on my Zumo by at least 4-5 bars, compared to the speaker setup.

I also have added a V-Stream shield with the Skyway spacers, so it's pretty quiet in the listening area of my '04.

Suffering from the same sound vs. wind noise problem, I solved it this way:

I went to Best Buy and purchased the smallest set of MP3 ear-bud speakers I could find. (Sony, $40.)

Then I took a set of common $1. foam earplugs and grafted the two together.

Cut off the tail end of the earplug as it's too long.

Soak the earplug in a cup of water until saturated through.

Put 'em in the freezer.

Once frozen solid, use an 1/8" drill bit, and drill a hole lengthwise thru each ear plug.

Remove the original rubber/foam ear piece from the speakers.

After your earplugs thaw and dry out, stretch hole you drilled in the earplug over the tit on the end of the speaker. Be gentle, it'll go, and even though it doesn't look like it will stay on, I've never had the plug pop off the speaker.

When it's time to ride, just carefully 'roll' the earplug and insert it in your ear just like normal, except now you have a mini speaker attached to it.

Plug in the cord and enjoy!

It may take some practice to get your helmet on w/o knocking the speaker/plug out, but after a few tries you'll figure it out. Best part is, when the earplug portion goes bad/dirty, just replace it w/ another set.

I've used this system for two years w/ great results.

I use the speakers that come with the Starcom1 Advance Some helmets are good for in-helmet speakers, some aren't. Arai is very good - there is actually a cavity in the cheek pad where you can mount the speakers and you don't feel them. Just pop the cheekpad out, remove the cover, stick the speaker to the cheekpad using the 2-sided tape provided, run the wires around the back and you're set. Took me all of about 5 minutes to install them.
+1

Put 'em in the freezer.

Once frozen solid, use an 1/8" drill bit, and drill a hole lengthwise thru each ear plug.

Goddamnit: that's clever.

I've done the same thing, but I used a hot needle held in pliers to make the hole in the earplugs--it worked fine. I'll try your method next....

Put 'em in the freezer.

Goddamnit: that's clever.

I've done the same thing, but I used a hot needle held in pliers to make the hole in the earplugs--it worked fine. I'll try your method next....
Here's the technique I've used so far: I have a tool made to extract molex connector pins that looks like this:

HT-2038.jpg

I used a jewlers file to sharpen the leading edge of the tube. You could use any piece of small diameter steel tubing. After compressing an earplug lengthwise I just use the tool as a hole punch to core a hole through the earplugs. Then, after they expand back to normal I just fit them over the ear speaker's inner tube.

I went to the Apple store to see what ear buds they offer as alternatives to what people have suggested hear. I figured Apple made the iPod they should have some decent headphones that might work.

What I found was the NikeFIT Sport "hatphone" for $29. Since it wasn't very expensive I thought I'd buy it and see how well it worked.

Basically its a thin Therma-FIT fleece cap with speakers built in for listening to music while jogging and working out. Its lightweight material fits comfortably beneath my Shoei RF1000 and the speakers line up exactly where they should. The speakers aren't the best but this is much easier than trying to get the earphones to stay on place while putting on my helmet.

This is such an easy solution, its really pretty cool. I'll ride with it for a while and if I still like it I might change out with better speakers. :clapping:

I went to the Apple store to see what ear buds they offer as alternatives to what people have suggested hear. I figured Apple made the iPod they should have some decent headphones that might work.
What I found was the NikeFIT Sport "hatphone" for $29. Since it wasn't very expensive I thought I'd buy it and see how well it worked.

Basically its a thin Therma-FIT fleece cap with speakers built in for listening to music while jogging and working out. Its lightweight material fits comfortably beneath my Shoei RF1000 and the speakers line up exactly where they should. The speakers aren't the best but this is much easier than trying to get the earphones to stay on place while putting on my helmet.

This is such an easy solution, its really pretty cool. I'll ride with it for a while and if I still like it I might change out with better speakers. :clapping:

do you wear earplugs when you ride? if so, volume still good?

Interesting idea.

But I would have to say that if your helmet will still fit on "comfortably" over a hat like that, your helmet must be a size too big for you (for safety).

I know there is no way that mine would.

I use helmet speakers. Cost me $10, I think.

I used a set of Sony desktop speakers that were made for a portable MP3 players. I destroyed the boxes, removed the actual speaker, mounted them in the helmet, and, viola- tunes.

After acquiring the FZ, and its associated wind noise, I added a Boostaroo amplifier. I then grew tired of replacing the batteries in the Boostaroo so I hard-wired the little amp to the bike using a LM7805 voltage regulator. (the size of a postage stamp.) The entire setup fits into a small plastic project-box and is hidden under the seat. I have one sound wire ran to my tank bag. Just mount the bike, plug in to the helmet, jam on down the road.

I don't know how you guys use helmet speakers on the FJR. I have a Shoei RF1000 and it sounds like a jet taking off on that bike (shield down) so I have to use earplugs just to ride it (which I hate on longer trips..ears get sore). I tried a Cee Bailey +4 windshield which worked all the way up but draws a lot of heat up around the rider and I didn't like the way it looked. Wish I could come up with something that works as the wind noise is my #1 complaint with the bike.
Gary

ER-6 is a good solution for me !

Interesting idea.

But I would have to say that if your helmet will still fit on "comfortably" over a hat like that, your helmet must be a size too big for you (for safety).

I know there is no way that mine would.
The picture of the hatphone on the website is different from the one I purchased. Mine is a thin neoprene type material, like a skull cap. It is very tight putting the helmet on but the speakers fit nicely into the gap just over the ears in the RF1000. It's tight but comfortable.

I got either the SE110's or SE210's for Xmas, and the sound quality is great, sometimes I have to set my PDA to the lowest volume and that's almost too loud, where with my Sony's I have to set it to the highest volume if I'm walking down a busy street. I wish they didn't weren't so huge as I really don't want a third set of headphones, but I probably will have to go out and buy some er6's as well. <_<

I couldn't find my er6i's on my last trip, so ran out to the local Apple store to get some more. well, they didn't have them anymore, but they had a bunch of these guys...
Shure

I think I got the 210s. Mostly cuz I know I didn't pay as much as the 310s cost.

They come with a variety of rubber ear buds and foamies in many sizes. I found the big foamies did the best about staying in and keeping noise out, much better than the flange tips on the er6i's. I think even better than the er6i foamies as well.

The one minus is on helmet removal.... the Shure's stick out a tad more, so they get a bit ripped out of your ear which is a bit annoying. But a good earphone for Shure. :grin:

I don't know how you guys use helmet speakers on the FJR. I have a Shoei RF1000 and it sounds like a jet taking off on that bike (shield down) so I have to use earplugs just to ride it (which I hate on longer trips..ears get sore). I tried a Cee Bailey +4 windshield which worked all the way up but draws a lot of heat up around the rider and I didn't like the way it looked. Wish I could come up with something that works as the wind noise is my #1 complaint with the bike.
Gary

I'm using National Cycle V-Stream windshield; it is very quiet with minimal wind, no suction and no heat problem. I am 6' but shorter legs and longer torso, so equivalent of typical 6'2" person. It is even a little better since installing Corbin saddle; the Corbin seems to be 1-2" lower than stock. Great coating on this windshield; not a hint of a scratch during the past almost 1 year. Oh, and I use ultimate ears buds, their ~$100 ones.