Helmet Speakers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone been ticketed or warned by LEO's for using helmet speakers or earphones?After a little (very little) digging, it looks like they would be considered illegal in some states.

Virginia as an example;

https://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=va
I suppose I should stop weaving the lane divider lines to the music, then, eh? I'll fight it to the end, using drivers and cell phones as my example. fuggem.

I haven't researched any laws here in Alabama, but after several on-bike interactions with the LEO's, I'd have to say nope.

And the law you posted seemed to give an out: As long as it was part of a communication system, it was excluded.

You're going to get as many answers as there are states certainly. Washington State does not prohibit speakers or earphones. They just require that you be able to hear traffic around you.

Never been hassled before. They see the FJR and gadgets and figure I'm a responsible person....even if speeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
electronic noise-cancellation devices designed and used to enhance the hearing ability of persons who operate vehicles in high-noise environments, provided any such device is being worn by the operator of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more.
Wellalrightynow. Where does this leave the people that wear 30-40 dB ear plugs?

If you think about it, motorcycle police officers have audio pumped into their helmets as well. Granted, it's not Metallica like in my helmet sometimes, it's just voices, but then who's to say I'm not listening to a book on tape. It's perfectly legal for motorcyclists in Oregon.

I think I heard someone say listening to tunes in your helmet isn't very wise, but my music was up too loud and I couldn't make out what he said completely. :D

Or why don't we just cut through all this and find an authoritative consolidation of laws. How does The AMA? Work for everybody?

It seems to quote Virginia's law and consistent with my homestate of Washington. Adding to my Bin-O'-Facts

I've ridden in every state in the lower 48. I've been using headsets, ear plugs, ear monitors and combinations of same for more than 15 years while doing so. During that time I have had a few roadside encounters and discussions.

Not once has any officer ever made it an issue. And, yes, they often see me remove my helmet and ear plugs as they approach.

Are earplugs against the law anywhere? I'll ride with my Etymotics in from time-to-time and not turn on the audio, making them defacto earplugs. Are they going to write laws now that keep us from reducing hearing loss? :huh:

Ya'll just need to move to Alabama. After reviewing the laws as per the linky thing, we can pretty much do what we want.

You're going to get as many answers as there are states certainly. Washington State does not prohibit speakers or earphones. They just require that you be able to hear traffic around you.
Never been hassled before. They see the FJR and gadgets and figure I'm a responsible person....even if speeding.
Evidently....they don't know the true Ignacio.....crazed LD rider of high speed note :lol: ....

Are earplugs against the law anywhere? I'll ride with my Etymotics in from time-to-time and not turn on the audio, making them defacto earplugs. Are they going to write laws now that keep us from reducing hearing loss? :huh:
i do believe that earplugs ARE against the law in California. Don't tell them though because I'm getting ready to file a class action suit on behalf of all motorcyclists who have sustained hearing damage due to being law abiding citizens and refraining from wearing illegal ear plugs.

also thinking about another class action suit against California and naming all loud assed bikes with no baffles. If california would enforce laws on the books for loud assed mufflers (or lack of) on cars bikes and stereos -- OR allowed me to wear earplugs - my hearing wouldn't be as lousy as it is.

I hope to retire soon after the settlement.

i do believe that earplugs ARE against the law in California. Don't tell them though because I'm getting ready to file a class action suit on behalf of all motorcyclists who have sustained hearing damage due to being law abiding citizens and refraining from wearing illegal ear plugs.
also thinking about another class action suit against California and naming all loud assed bikes with no baffles. If california would enforce laws on the books for loud assed mufflers (or lack of) on cars bikes and stereos -- OR allowed me to wear earplugs - my hearing wouldn't be as lousy as it is.

The ordiance was modified a year or two ago to allow the use of 'custom fit' ear plugs, IIRC. Though a recent article in Friction Zone by their motocop editor disputed that cuz he didn't have the updated regs...

Off to Google I go!

Edit: Yup, here's the linky, so your suit won't hold water. Ear plugs are legal given the caveat in the law.

The ordiance was modified a year or two ago to allow the use of 'custom fit' ear plugs, IIRC. Though a recent article in Friction Zone by their motocop editor disputed that cuz he didn't have the updated regs...

Off to Google I go!

Edit: Yup, here's the linky, so your suit won't hold water. Ear plugs are legal given the caveat in the law.
TWN - you thinking this is the out?

"(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle."

...and what the heck does "The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle." this really mean? hi-pass filter installed? :rolleyes: Custom made plugs with EQ too?

I just bought some Koss in the ear earphones for my upcomming SS1k attempt. I tried them out this past weekend and they worked as well as foam earplugs for wind noise and gave decent sound quality even at 110. When stopped I could still talk and hear with music still playing from my mp3 without adjusting from riding volume level. $ 19.99 from radio shack if anyone is interested. easy to get the helmet on but a bitch to take off without ripping your ear.