Helmet test - sort of

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
OK, I'm not Snell Labs, but I've got a 30-year-old lid and a 3-pound hammer.........

I did this by setting the helmet on the driveway pavement, because none of the neighborhood kids would let me test it "for real" on their heads.

10 blows and I've chipped the paint. The shell has flexed because the paint cracking extends a ways down from the impact point, but I haven't penetrated (or even cracked) the shell.

DSC_9908.jpg

For some reason I can't find any chisels, don't know what's up with that, so I sacrificed a lag bolt:

DSC_9909.jpg

Another 10 or 15 blows to that, and here's what I have:

DSC_9910.jpg

Chipped paint, impact marks, and...... nothing. Now we'll see what the compactor in the garbage truck will do to it.
smile.png

Unless it was on your head when all this happened, I ain't believin' nothin'. Let's do a retake, with a video of the look on your face at impact.

Uhhh... you do have yer insurance paid up, right Woof?

Gary

darksider #44

Yes, but....the foam under the impact area is irreversibly compacted so it transmits way more of the energy to the inside of the helmet ie, the wearer's cranium. The fact that the shell doesn't break speaks well for the quality of the shell material, but doesn't necessarily indicate how well your brain is protected inside said bucket. At least that's how I understand a helmet to work.

Yes, but....the foam under the impact area is irreversibly compacted so it transmits way more of the energy to the inside of the helmet ie, the wearer's cranium. The fact that the shell doesn't break speaks well for the quality of the shell material, but doesn't necessarily indicate how well your brain is protected inside said bucket. At least that's how I understand a helmet to work.
Yep, time to get out the saw and cross-section it. I love science!

I agree, it's the foam inside the shell that does the real work of cranium protection, and why you replace a crashed helmet. Once the foam has done its work it's no good any more. That's why I was hoping one or two of the neighbor kids would step up.
smile.png

Still, the fact that it hold up to this treatment impressed me. I expected to crack the shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you put some form of head sized melon in there and strike it repeatedly with the hammer again?

Before and after pics would be great.

Should you choose to accept this mission, please make sure its a melon you or someone you know would enjoy.. so as not to waste...

Maybe whack it in a spot not yet tested... like 10:30 or 1:30...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, please post pictures of you in the produce department picking out an XL long-oval melon for testing. :)

My wife will pay you to use my melon. Not sure how protective she hopes the helmet will be.

It would be interesting to do the same test with something newer like an RF-1000. I gave my old helmets to the local fire department for training so I can't do it. Newer helmets are supposed to be moving toward more compliant shells/padding so as to reduce the G loading on impact. That old RF-200 should be hard as a rock (as indeed it appears to be)

Linked to this thread from another, which explains why so long posting.

But I have cracked helmets while wearing them. This test, though unscientific, does make me realize how dented my punkin skull would have been without the helmet.

Latest posts