helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristercl

Reaction score
hello everyone am new to the forum, thinking about getting a fjr, have a vstar 1100 now. am looking to get a different helmet and looking at the modular types. any suggestions on a good one. probably not the most expensive but resonable. need to save my money to buy the bike..thanks for the help...

Now, now...is that any way to treat a FNG?

I have been wearing a Symax for over 3 yrs. now; it has been great; (went from a regular full face) my primary reason for getting it was because of my glasses. I was concerned that Snell had not tested any of the modular style helmets; I called them back then, was told they 'didn't have problem with the inherent design' <_< but that they 'hadn't gotten around to testing them yet'. <_<

So, I decided to try one out; I have had no issues with the Symax. If I were to buy one today, however, I would lean toward the new Nolan; I believe it's the N-102? It's the latest generation in their flip up design and has a 2-part latch that can be operated with one hand; kind of like a latch with a 'safety catch' which I'm sure was designed in no small part after various reports (I've only heard about 2 myself, FWIW) about modulars flipping open in crashes; it also has an external flip down sun visor. Schuberth also has a sun visor in their flip up, an internal one, but the helmet is...what?, about $700?. The Nolan is under $300. The other thing I liked about the Nolan was that the flip up mechanism appeared beefier, and was smoother to raise; oh, and they also added a small 'spoiler' to the rear/top of the shell, to help prevent buffeting.

Having said all that, I have been considering going back to a full face for the extra margin of safety...

I have a Vega Summit XPV, which I purchased based on the WebBikeWorld review. (Some folks don't seem to like that site, but I'm a big fan.)

I like it well enough, but I will probably go back to a standard full-face for my next helmet - I just don't like it as well - I don't seem to feel as protected, and it's quite a bit louder than my Shoei full-face.

Although this looks really neat...

I use an Arai Quantum/f and love it. It fits like a glove and has great ventilation. It isn't made anymore and has been replaced with the Quantum/2 which has a removable liner. According to the June 2005 MotorCyclist issue which tested a bunch of helmets(find a back issue), the Arai, which is SNELL rated, didn't fare as well as the cheaper helmets. Unfortunately the cheaper helmets don't have the features that make the more expensive helmets such a pleasure to wear. My next helmet will probably be a Suomy Spec 1R since it is rated ECE 22-05/DOT and fared better than the SNELL helmets. The best helmet in the tests as far as G forces was the very cheap Z1R ZRP-1 but it really doesn't have very good ventilation or comfort.

Two observations here: I own an 04 FJR, wanted a a cruiser type bike for organized group rides, bought an 04 VStar 1100. Sold it in 5 months or so. The FJR will spoil ya, however it's a totally different type of ride from the VStar.

As for helmets, tried the Symax, but it would make my ears hurt after about an hour or so, also my forehead a little bit. Ended up selling it and went back to a standard full face. I recently tried the KBC FFR flip front. Seemed roomier than the Symax for me.

thanks everyone for the info it was a big help. sorry for posting in the wrong forum..will look over the website and get to know where everything is before i post another message. thanks again.

Hey ZZ---- you got easier helmet dealers than we have, once you buy a helmet and walk out the door--no returns, funny thing about helmets, I cant seem to make the jump to buying on line w/out first trying it on for proper fit, some manufacturers build helmets for narrow heads, some for oval, some for round. No one in my state carries Scorpion, I have heard and read a lot about that helmet and wish I could give one a try, but when I called, I think helmet harbor (on line) they said I could return it if it did not fit but, I would have to pay postage and a 25% restocking fee. The local shop here stocks Shoie, Arai, HJC and a few others, but not a scorpion in the bunch.

Motorgod get that David Hasselhoff looking thing off this forum!!! its disturbing!! :angry:

Stick W/Britney

Long ago, used to have the BMW flip top when they first came out (in Oz). Really liked it because I wore glasses at the time. I NEVER rode with it flipped up, wind pressure on the jaw piece would have pulled my head off.

I did crash test it, but it was a straight high side over the bars into the white van off death, not to fast. Dented the van and the helmet, but it didn't test the integrety of the jaw connectors in any way, so I can't comment on that aspect of it's safety.

On my HD, I have a cheap black full face, not sure on the brand. Needed a helmet when I bought it, and always planned to replace it, just never have. I've looked at open face helmets, but I can't equate value of the vanity and pleasure of an open face to the more legal and safer feeling full face. If I can find a "cool" looking open face that's also legal, I may succumb to temptation this summer, as it's the closest I'd go to letting my wife ride sans-helmet.

On my FJR I have a Shoei RF1000 Diabolic 2 TC-5. This does seem noisy, but I know I should wear ear plugs anyway. It's also a while since I owned a bike this fast.

The wifes bucket of choice is the Shoei RF1000 Nerve TC-1. She loves it.

I can see the attraction of flips, especially if you wear specs, or live somewhere really hot and are stopped in traffic a lot.

I remember having badly bent spec frames from being repeatedly inserted and removed through the face of the helmet, so that would probably decide it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a Schuberth C-2 flip-up since they were introduced last year. They promote the helmet as being one of the quietest on the market.....I find it to be fairly loud but, since I wear ear plugs all the time, it has not been a problem. Otherwise, this has proven to be one great helmet. It is exceptionally comfortable to me but it should be noted that the Schuberth design is intended for those more-rounded head shapes. The single feature I appreciate most is the internal sun shade...... makes wearing sun glasses unnecessary.

Anyone got the new Nolan N-102 flip w/shade? I'm in need of another helmet by spring and we have a local shop here that carries Nolan but he has not gotten this model in yet. I know they are available, it looks like a nice piece of bling! Would be interesting to hear from someone who has already bought one or at least tried one on. Opinions please!

The Nolan is rated as the quietest flip but all are noisier than a good full face. It is an excellent designed helmet but fit is the key

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried a lot of helmets and have found the Nolan flip (with sun visor) to be the most comfortable fit and still gives me a good secure feeling when closed and at speed. I really like to be able to flip up the front when at real slow speeds around parking areas, etc.