Help !! AE or A??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check 06 bin-o-facts -- D&H $389 Clicky

Also -- as posted above -- just in case -- make sure dealer will 100% exchange for the slower uglier blue one (j/k) if you find you want to switch within the first few miles

Congrats Hevnbound, welcome to the club. As for the Y.E.S. warranty policy, use the search feature, and you will find out all the info you need to know.

Today, on my three-day-old '06 1300A, I found myself forced to do a 180 on a very narrow sand-covered blacktop road. Keeping the revs up and dragging the rear brake (yeah, I know they're coupled), I feathered the clutch to keep my momentum balanced against the turn. Could I have done that on an AE? No opinion, just a question.

Today, on my three-day-old '06 1300A, I found myself forced to do a 180 on a very narrow sand-covered blacktop road. Keeping the revs up and dragging the rear brake (yeah, I know they're coupled), I feathered the clutch to keep my momentum balanced against the turn. Could I have done that on an AE? No opinion, just a question.
I'd imagine you could, by feathering the throttle instead of the clutch. But not sure, since I don't have an AE.

I'd imagine you could, by feathering the throttle instead of the clutch. But not sure, since I don't have an AE.

I rode triple t's at the eom, it was a joy, I would have to say yes you could, leave it in second and just roll the throttle on slowly, heck you could stop in the middle of your turn and leave it is gear, it wil not move until you hit 1300 rpms, that was the thing I liked about it the most stopping in traffic and not having to hold the clutch in for an extended time, having it just sit there in gear running but not moving was a really nice change of pace.

If you gave that throttle a real twist, it would really take off, T warned me of that so since it was not mine I didn't want to give it to much, but I bet it would be hard to beat if driver skills were the same for both riders.

As far as riding on they shift more smoothly than my 05, didn't seem to have the same clunky feel to it in first-second, downshifting was a breeze, I rode with triple t the whole time at boone and the bike didn't lack for proformance either.

I would buy the ae if I were doing it now, I liked the five up gear box.

* I test rode a friends AE this weekend and it was great - but, will I miss the advantages of one with a clutch when the uniqueness wears off?
I've got one of the new AE's and I like it a lot, I rode both and haven't regretted the decision. You learn to do some things differently, in my opinion. In stop and go traffic, it rules. Having the left hand essentially always free is nice. It handles the clutch engagement for you, so learning hot to get what you want with the throttle instead is a gradual, but workable, process

* Am I right to be concerned with the potential expense for repairs on the AE when the warranty runs out?
Sure! :D Any new gidget is prone to problems 'cause it's not figured out yet, I think.

Yep. I had rented an '05 FJR and a '06 Honds ST-1300 when I was bike shopping to help me decide. During the 250 mile ride, I found myself doing a U-turn, uphill, in gravel, two-up, on an unfamilar rented bike with WAY more torque than I was used to. I managed, but learned respect. :dribble:

When I decided on the FJR and was interested in the AE, I told them that I had to test ride it before I'd hand over the loot. Then I went and found a gravel lot to do slow U-turns in. It certainly wasn't any harder, still not easy, but doable while paying attention. Now that I'm used to the AE, I think that it's easier to do these maneuvers.....

Go with the A and save some bucks for the inevitable farkling to follow. Prices seem okay to me, but I'm in Cali, where a jar of Vaseline is included with every sale...
Think of the FJR as a slightly bigger and more powerful VFR. You're gonna be happy.
You got a jar of vaseline too?! Man, how come i'm always the one to miss out :unsure:

+1 on the A instead of the AE. I originally had a deposit down on the AE, but ended getting the A instead. No regrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned a 2005 A model and now own a 2006 AE. I'm glad I got the AE. I've been riding for over 30 years and I find it just a little more enjoyable to ride especially in heavy traffic. I downshift in the middle of curves on the twisties when I would never try it with a clutch model. After just 3000 miles my confidence level is much higher than ever. I'm sure you made the right choice going with the AE.

I like the guys that vote for the A without ever riding the AE. How can they make a educated report without riding both? I suppose they also think the new electronic manual shift in autos are bunk too. Seems to me this ia gonna be on more bikes in the future. Is it for everyone? Probably not, but for some it is a very nice feature. I haven't read a review where the rider wasn't dso sure they would like it but after riding the AE some even bought one.

I was going to buy the A because I like the bitchin' blue color. The dealer sold his A a few days prior and had an AE that someone backed out of the deposit, lucky for me!

The salesman had to pull me off the AE, cuz I was trying to hump it on the showroom floor!

Hey, someone at EOM was wearing a T-shirt that said "If my FJR could blow me, I'd NEVER go home" :blink:

Local dealer has located an '06 AE ($13,690) and a '06 A ($12,068). Both prices don't include: Taxes, Tag and Doc fee ($149). I think (?) both prices are fair deals. What do you think? I have no problem paying a few $$$ more to deal with the local dealer. HOWEVER, the big problem is trying fo decide on WHICH ONE?
Am I correct when I say the differences between the AE and the A is: Elec. shift and Heated grips on the AE? Any other differences. Seems like a lot of money for only those two items?

I would really like helpful comments from owners of both types.

* I test rode a friends AE this weekend and it was great - but, will I miss the advantages of one with a clutch when the uniqueness wears off?

* Am I right to be concerned with the potential expense for repairs on the AE when the warranty runs out?

I'm selling my '04 ST1300 and '04 VFR to buy the FJR. I want to get back to one bike. Please help me decide on which FJR? ... I've decided that the FJR comes close to being the best bike in between the ST and the VFR.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to joining in with ya'll on this board.

Sam

North Carolina
The AE has spiffy wheels too. Actually makes the FJR1300 look expensive!

Yes you can and use 2nd gear - clutch control much easier that way. Slips just a little more and is not so inclined to jerk around before and after clutch is engaged.

Go with the A and save some bucks for the inevitable farkling to follow. Prices seem okay to me, but I'm in Cali, where a jar of Vaseline is included with every sale...

Think of the FJR as a slightly bigger and more powerful VFR. You're gonna be happy.
You got a jar of vaseline too?! Man, how come i'm always the one to miss out :unsure:

+1 on the A instead of the AE. I originally had a deposit down on the AE, but ended getting the A instead. No regrets.
Ya missed out dude!