• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Help! B-I-L wrecked and needs parts for 2003

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
Brother-in-law wrecked his 2003 FJR (my old one) and needs parts. He's in a tight jam so can't afford new and I'm not even sure he can afford used, so let's see what's out there. The bike had been repainted and will have to be again so color does not matter. This is what was destroyed:

Windshield (it was the larger Yamaha touring screen), but beggars...

Windshield control arms

Front, front-top and right-side fairing plastics

Instrument cluster (this is a non-ABS bike so I'm not sure a cluster from an ABS will work)

Front brake master cylinder

Right side frame slider was pretty well ground away - T-Rex.

He's getting my blue '05 luggage rack.

Any help would be appreciated.

In case you're wondering, bike went down on its right side and slid top-of-nose-first into a guard rail. And also BTW, good riding gear meant only a slightly sore ankle.

Thanks from Big Sky (Cole) and brother-in-law Tim!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see 63 views and no replies. I hope I didn't leave the impression he was looking for donations. he can/ will pay fair prices. I was just wondering whether he is wise to spend a lot to rebuild an '03 with 80k. He says he must since he can't afford to replace it. Thanks for looking!

Big Sky - I have a stock windshield for an 03 or 04 he can have for shipping cost only from 46307. It has scratches on the bottom, but not too bad. PM me your email if you want some pics.

Thanks for the replies. I will follow up.

I was scoping eBay and saw those knock-off plastics kits. They all include the middle and rear plastics. I'm assuming one could get ahold of the company (Hong Kong) and perhaps order only what is needed, and order unpainted to save some $? Saw one cheap kit but shipping was over $200! Thanks again! With luck, patience and perseverance, we will have Tim back on the road by spring.

For what it's worth, he installed some kind of fancy throttle lock that did not unlock as he approached a stop sign at the bottom of an interstate exit ramp. Blew through the stop sign barely avoiding cross traffic, locked brakes and went down. Human error all around.

... For what it's worth, he installed some kind of fancy throttle lock that did not unlock as he approached a stop sign at the bottom of an interstate exit ramp. Blew through the stop sign barely avoiding cross traffic, locked brakes and went down. Human error all around.
And the brand name of the throttle lock was?...

(sorry, I have no gen I parts to offer)

Thanks, Matt. And Silver, I'll try to find out the make of the T-lock. It looked over engineered to me, had some kind of arm that went to the inboard end of the grip. I suspect installation may have been faulty, or at least its operation.

I think the throttle lock was a Vista Cruise type unit. Again, I'm not sure if there was an installation problem, user error or product defect. I suspect one of the first two, maybe both. And, thanks to Iggy, Tim may have found a single source for all that he will need. Thanks Ignacio!

I have always been dubious about mechanical throttle locks, but do have one on my FJR (not the Vista Cruise type) and use it only occasionally. I also had one of those Throttle Rocker wrist rests on my V-Strom when I bought it. I took it off after a couple of episodes where I, too, arrived at a stop sign with throttle inadvertently ON.

Cole, I'm reluctant to suggest this, but it might be worth a try for you. FJR forum member "Gray Ghost" has retired his 2003 FJR with 395,000 miles due to engine problems. The bike has decent panels, but the engine is shot. I would not be surprised if he would be open to selling the usable parts. You might want to contact him by PM as he doesn't read the forum that much. "Ole Grey" was a legendary bike that may never have left Ohio, but it would be cool to see it ride on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, thanks for the valuable lead. If the lead Iggy provided does not work out, yours would certainly be worth following up.