Help for the Anemic Gen II Turn Signal Indicators

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagstaff

Reaction score
I find the turn signal indicators on my '06 less than ideal during the day. They are too small and not bright enough. I haven't yet developed the muscle memory that ensures I'm going to turn the blinker off and as a result I find myself occasionally riding down the road turn signal blinking like a dork.

I tried the Kisan 10APF automatic cancellation device, but the one they sent didn't work despite being correctly installed. I decided to return it since I did not want to place my trust in a device that may not work. My next thought was to add a light that was more visible. I found a nice bright waterproof LED at https://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux. I chose the blue one, and it is bright.

I wired it into the turn signal circuits, and the results are just what I was after. It is definately going to catch my attention. I may add a switch to turn it off at night if I find it distracting, but I need to put some night miles on it to decide.

orig.jpg

Is it difficult to get to the bulbs to change them ??

Disassemble the front end ??

Thanks

BP

Looking good, yet I trained myself in to the habit to push the turn signal button frequently to ensure the turn signals are off. That worked for about the first season, at the second season, it became a habit and now I'm not thinking of it anymore, meaning the memory knows now to turn them signals off after a turn or a lane change...

I like your approach and think is a good helper, yet I agree, those blue led lights will be a distraction. I have a charger with a blue led in my truck, that focker used to drive me nuts at night, so I taped it up with black insulation tape
tonguesmiley.gif
my iPhone will yell if it's not getting charged.

PS:

Unless you're driving a car in disguise, cough cough CanAM Spyder, like my wife does, than this sucker does it automatically after a turn, still leaving the lane change to be done by the rider..... So what's the purpose of that function than?...

V

RPK

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on this getting to the point where it is automatic and no longer needed. I'm coming off a BMW with their odd turn signal arrangement so some retraining is needed.

Nice solution! Instead of bitching, you came up with a cool, custom solution that works for you. Excellent!

funny,my 1985 gs 1150 es suzuki came with self canceling turn signals.im confused as to why the arent on all bikes today.hmmmmm?

funny,my 1985 gs 1150 es suzuki came with self canceling turn signals.im confused as to why the arent on all bikes today.hmmmmm?
<social science>If anybody wonders where the point is on a thread where it drifts from the OP and becomes a candidate for moving to NEPRT.....this would be the critical inflection point to watch. The thread isn't NEPRT currently, but *could* become one very quickly depending on how future responses go. Turn Signals are like the Spotted Owl of this forum.</social science>

I did something similar on my previous bike, i added oznium 4 inch strips to the mirrors (that had blinkers in the housing so easy) but i used orange - The strips have self-adhesive strips on the back so were easy to fit to any flat or slightly curved surface - so im wonndering where to mount them if i did the same on my gen 2 id probably go for short strips and mount up above the dials near teh existing indicators

https://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

I do like it but I have a question. Does the LED blink or is it a steady state? Nice job.
It blinks in tune with the turn signals. I tapped into the wires going from the turn signal switch to the signals. I added a diode to each side so that only one LED would be required.

I do like it but I have a question. Does the LED blink or is it a steady state? Nice job.
It blinks in tune with the turn signals. I tapped into the wires going from the turn signal switch to the signals. I added a diode to each side so that only one LED would be required.
My compliments again! 2 diodes, 1 Light Emitting Diode, my goodness you did put some thought into this. Pretty good stuff.

I have a really good system to remind me about my turn signal. I have a Cardo Scala Rider teamset and my Dad. When he is riding with me he takes tremendous pleasure in letting me know if I forget to cancel the turn signal.

I did something similar on my previous bike, i added oznium 4 inch strips to the mirrors (that had blinkers in the housing so easy) but i used orange - The strips have self-adhesive strips on the back so were easy to fit to any flat or slightly curved surface - so im wonndering where to mount them if i did the same on my gen 2 id probably go for short strips and mount up above the dials near teh existing indicatorshttps://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips
+1

I'd love to have signals on my mirrors.

Thanks for the link!

If it's that bright in the garage during the day, it will be virtually unusable at night, so you should really consider installing that off switch
rolleyes.gif

I have a Passport X50 (blue) radar detector, and even that at night must be switched to either low or medium setting otherwise it's seriously distracting at night.

I took it out for a test this evening, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. The picture I took early was taken directly at the LED. When riding it is just in the peripheral vision.

Kudos on a great idea. Anyone who has participated in a group ride from the back of the pack can attest to how many times during a day riders leave their turn signals on. Even those of us who have a habit of constantly punching the turn signal cancel will occasionally be distracted by something midturn and forget to cancel. We are only human, afterall.

The obvious problem is that you have some brain-dead car drivers that take that turn signal as gospel and so will drive right in front of you because they misinterpret your intentions. Leaving your turn signals on is a safety issue, so anything you can do to avoid it is a great idea.

I disagree that a bright blue LED would be a big problem at night. It will only be flashing when your turn signal is on, not when you are driving around. If you are too sensitive you could always design a light that had two brightness modes, day and night. Maybe even use different colors, blue for day, red for night to help preserve your night vision better.

You do not need to use any diodes if you source your LED signal from the flasher module. The same flasher source gets routed to both sides. I'll look for some wiring info later on when I get a chance. I can see myself wanting to do this relatively simple mod, even though I have the superior 1st gen turn signal indicators.

Kudos on a great idea. Anyone who has participated in a group ride from the back of the pack can attest to how many times during a day riders leave their turn signals on...I can see myself wanting to do this relatively simple mod, even though I have the superior 1st gen turn signal indicators.
Since I ride sweep a lot I get to see all the missed signal canceling. If you do make a signal indicator build some extras 'cause I know a few people that would really benefit from being gifted with one :lol: