Help for the Anemic Gen II Turn Signal Indicators

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some pics of my installation. They have been working well for a little over 2 years.

Left side.

item.JPG

Right side showing the adhesive backing

item.JPG

'Irish' splice - I carefully peeled off the insulation, wrapped the led wire around each indicator wire and soldered in place. I would have like d to fit shrink wrap but not possible without cutting wire so I used liquid tape and PVC tape to finish. Just make sure you get the polarity correct BEFORE you solder!

item.JPG

...You do not need to use any diodes if you source your LED signal from the flasher module. The same flasher source gets routed to both sides. I'll look for some wiring info later on when I get a chance. I can see myself wanting to do this relatively simple mod, even though I have the superior 1st gen turn signal indicators.
I tried using the flasher source wire first, but the LED I was using would trigger the flasher making the LED blink continually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos on a great idea. Anyone who has participated in a group ride from the back of the pack can attest to how many times during a day riders leave their turn signals on...I can see myself wanting to do this relatively simple mod, even though I have the superior 1st gen turn signal indicators.
Since I ride sweep a lot I get to see all the missed signal canceling. If you do make a signal indicator build some extras 'cause I know a few people that would really benefit from being gifted with one
laugh.png
A true friend would not only build the kit, he would do the installation as well.
rolleyes.gif

how do you get to the dashboard to install the led's ?

service manual is not that helpful .

Thanks

BP

...You do not need to use any diodes if you source your LED signal from the flasher module. The same flasher source gets routed to both sides. I'll look for some wiring info later on when I get a chance. I can see myself wanting to do this relatively simple mod, even though I have the superior 1st gen turn signal indicators.
I tried using the flasher source wire first, but the LED I was using would trigger the flasher making the LED blink continually.

Ah!! Good to know.

So back to a couple of isolation diodes like you used. Cheap enough. ;)

How about a semi-detailed writeup for those of us who don't know much about electronics.

Pics would be great.

A pop-up book would be better.

How about a semi-detailed writeup for those of us who don't know much about electronics.Pics would be great.

A pop-up book would be better.
Well it has been four months with no further comments so I guess the writeup w/ pics is not coming.
no2.gif
Sorry. I hadn't been following this since I first posted it. They method I used, and the way I tapped into the wires might be overly complex for a causual tinkerer. The simplest way would be to buy two LEDs, one for each side. They can be mounted next to each other in the same location I used. Tap into the positive lead of each turn signal right near the turn signal itself. There is plenty of wire there to make it easy to make the connection. You'll also need a negative which is right there at the turn signal. You'll only need one negative so just connect to the left one. These LEDs draw very tiny amounts of current so any small multistrand wire/cable will work. Multistrand is preferred since it is flexible and therefore less prone to have the conductor break unseen inside the wire's insulation. The LEDs have two leads, a black (ground) and a red (positive) as I recall. Obviously this method requires a longer wire run, especially from the right side, but will actually be an easier as well as faster method. Let me know if more detail is required.

Good idea, Good mod.

I installed a digital blinker module when I had the front all apart doing my HID mod so I could just pinch off the light wires themselves. Should be easy enough. I was initially thinking about a beeper, this may supersede that idea.

Definitely the gen1 guys have a way better visual over on us in this area, not enough so to offset that crappy old looking gen1 dash however;)

Kudos on all your work. My inclination is either toward a SignalMinder or the Kriss equivalent, but I admire your solution.

A data point for others perusing this thread: According to Kisan, the 10APF is not compatible with the FJR, as the fuse that minds the indicator circuit also handles the dash lights.