Help Identifying Farkles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makkat

Reaction score
Trying to chase down a battery drain in my "new" 2003 I found a couple of add-ons that I can't identify.

First is a Scopio alarm that I can't find the model number for, there is no remote/fob. Everything I have found online shows a single module with weather pack connectors while this one has at least 2 boxes and molex style connectors. The only number I could find on the bottom of the 3 plug module was a sticker 04s02. I did try to pull the velcro off but it pulled the sticker with it.

20160328_173300_zpsqxzqfgae.jpg

20160328_173244_zpsj2lfwph5.jpg

The second I have no idea what it is.

20160328_173346_zpstp7oqx1o.jpg

V1 RADAR DETECTORS BOB

THE BROWN-OUT BOOSTER OPTION

To save fuel, some newer cars automatically switch off the engine instead of idling. As they restart, power to accessories momentarily drops below V1's 10-volt minimum, causing it to repeat its start-up sequence when voltage is resumed. BOB (optional) solves the problem by maintaining voltage during these brief sags. BOB has two RJ11 (telephone) jacks. Run a power cord from the source of 12V to the jack labeled "To 12V." Plug power cord from V1 into the jack labeled "To V1."

BOB is an electronic device that doesn't use a battery and requires no periodic service.

IMG_0779.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are just different levels of smart in this world.

Smart.

Really Smart.

Einstein

ionbeam

I had never heard of BOB before. That is Good Stuff.

I think I would be removing that alarm since it seems to be doing you no good whatsoever.

Smart.

Really Smart.

Einstein

ionbeam

I think I would be removing that alarm since it seems to be doing you no good whatsoever.
I plan to remove the alarm, hoping to find install instruction so I don't run into problems down the road. BOB is easy, two wires to the battery.

Smart.

Really Smart.

Einstein

ionbeam

I was impressed as well. I tried searching the image with Google, and it found a bunch of images of semi-automatic handguns making me think BOB might have been a weapon of some sort ;)

A sure way to prevent parasitic drain from any accessory is to hook through a Fuzeblock or similar power supply on a relay. Basically, when the engine is off, no device powered through a Fuzeblock on the relay circuit is powered...problem solved. My vote is that the alarm is the source of the problem since it must be powered during shutdown to monitor movement or whatever its sensors require to detect possible theft.

+1 on Tom's advice. I have a Scorpio i500 alarm that is about 9 years old. Yours is ancient, not waterproof connectors, questionable at best...... ditch it ASAP is my advice.

I have the distinct pleasure of knowing Mr. Ionbeam and all I can say is his head appears to be within a size range most would consider normal. But the sheer volume of the contents of that skull boggles my mind. The density of his gray matter must be approaching that of a black hole!

+1 on Tom's advice. I have a Scorpio i500 alarm that is about 9 years old. Yours is ancient, not waterproof connectors, questionable at best...... ditch it ASAP is my advice.
My FJR had one of those when I bought it and, like the OP's, did not come with a remote / fob thingamajiggie.

So at one of the past Tech Days, we decided to yank it outta there which was fun.

Then Bust put 18 volts to the piezo emitter. It made a weird noise and - POOF! - the smoke got out! The funnest and funniest thing about that, though? Hearing Bust scream like a little girl at a boy-band concert when the smoke got out. I aboot sharted myself laughing.

V1 RADAR DETECTORS BOBTHE BROWN-OUT BOOSTER OPTION

To save fuel, some newer cars automatically switch off the engine instead of idling. As they restart, power to accessories momentarily drops below V1's 10-volt minimum, causing it to repeat its start-up sequence when voltage is resumed. BOB (optional) solves the problem by maintaining voltage during these brief sags. BOB has two RJ11 (telephone) jacks. Run a power cord from the source of 12V to the jack labeled "To 12V." Plug power cord from V1 into the jack labeled "To V1."

BOB is an electronic device that doesn't use a battery and requires no periodic service.

IMG_0779.jpg
I havve one of those on a car that doesn't shut down. It splits the signal between the main V1 and the remote display. The main V1 (high up) then goes dark on its display so as not to announce its presence and to prevent tag-alongs from following behind you and using your V1 "remotely". Use on the FJR would be the same as for my STi; to use the V1 stealthily with the locator lights in a remote, inconspicuous location.

r-display.jpg

Full description

https://www.fjr-tips.org/sti/v1-r-display/v1-r-display.html

Customer service finally got back to me, CYL-300EX, and sent me an installation manual. Now I can make sure to get rid of all the pieces and parts. Thanks guys.

On another note, seems the BOB is quite popular so somebody should pay me lots of money for it!
punk.gif

I took everybody's advice and got a fuse panel.

20160329_180304_resized_zpscqsmniwq.jpg

Ok maybe not, I pulled the side panel off and found it.

Looking at the tail light area I found another mystery box:

20160329_180619_resized_zpstxkhuurr.jpg

It is tied into the brake modulator power wire and a ground loom. The light comes on when the brake is applied, but there are no markings of any kind on it.

Been following along, mostly out of curiosity. You ridden that thing yet? Bwahaha!!

Don't worry kids, Makkat and I are "familiar" in a remote sort of way from another forum. Glad to see you're making some progress.

Been following along, mostly out of curiosity. You ridden that thing yet? Bwahaha!!
Don't worry kids, Makkat and I are "familiar" in a remote sort of way from another forum. Glad to see you're making some progress.
I have been mainly riding it to work, but did put 350 miles on the first day to clear out the cob webs.

Most of the exploring has been short term so it can still be ridden but there are bad storms forecast for the next couple days so I dug a little deeper.

BTW the twins are coming so they can take pictures with another FJR.