Help me choose a screen for the weekend, high 80 in temp and speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon Man

Reaction score
I have a 2003 short yamaha stock shield and a V Stream. Stock shield buffeted so i put on spacers which reduced the buffeting, but it still buffets some once i break 75 or so.

So i bought the v stream and put it on with spacers and not only does it block my mirrors it buffets at 75+ and pushes my head forward.

Fort those that own the v stream, is it better without spacers, or should i keep the heat down this weekend and do the shorty?

Doing 1000 miles around the midwest this weekend, half slab, half twisties.

I found that the spacers improved the v-stream. I put in 1/2 inch spacers. The new angle smoothed out the air flow. I am 6'2" 32" inseam.

I am 6'2" and 36" inseam and i have the either 3/8 or 5/8 spacers in. I think i am gonna go shorty for the weekend then try some different spacers when i get home. Thanks for the input and exact sizing.

Now the question is...

Where do we get spacers...?

...and do we need longer plastic mounting bolts? (Guessing yes...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the spacers on the shorter stock screen. Nice clean air to the head. Not much protection if it rains though. :eek: Oh well...

6'2" 32" inseam

Last edited by a moderator:
After many trys I have found the best for me is the stock 03 with a Laminar Lip. I added spacers in the form of 5/16 nuts with longer screws from Ace.

Now the question is...
Where do we get spacers...?

...and do we need longer plastic mounting bolts? (Guessing yes...)
There is another thread around here on spacers. I just took the shield off. Then took off the lower bolts that mount to the lower brackets (there are two). The went to lowes and bought plastic spacers about 3/8" thick with a 1/4" center and some longer (25 and 30 MM) bolts. They likely wont have hex head i think mine are Phillips.

All the stuff is in the hardware section by the key cutting and lock area in most lowes. Cost was 5 bucks or so.