Help! What is this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peedab21

Reaction score
03 model, has heated grips, one battery tender style plug coming up from battery under the throttle, audiovox cruise control, and one plug I have no idea.

So here are some pics, can anybody put this to rest for me?

The plug rests under the rider seat then follows the frame down the left side to a black box under the pass. seat, from the box a red and black wire leave to meet the wiring harness for the tail section. Here are the pics. Also the the actual plug looks like an audio plug.

l_db11ebf048762f89185494621a9193e1.jpg

l_aea53c3466beba3296d8ad2b103cebb7.jpg

l_d5d7e28143f32e0b0b18e44b7b7190e0.jpg

l_e52a9c7c440635376629272a294bb438.jpg

Kinda what I thought but can't find any clothing with that style of a plug. Wouldnt a vest be to much of a draw for tailight wires?

#1. What's at the other end of the wire?

#2. Looks like a helmet speaker/communications wire that would pass between the seat and tank.

Bob

The black box is picking up key-switched power and ground from the taillights, probably. What it is is anybody's guess if it doesn't have a label or logo on it.

Aren't used bikes fun? Mine had an RJ-11 wire up to the right handgrip. Other end was cut. Who knows, who cares? Get rid of it.

#1. What's at the other end of the wire?#2. Looks like a helmet speaker/communications wire that would pass between the seat and tank.

Bob
The other end of the wire is tapped to a hot and a ground in the taillight wiring harness, yes it does look communication wire but its hot, dont ask how I know.

The bike has had a communication system on it because there is a PTT button hard wired on the left control lever.

Just a guess but I am thinking scorpion alarm system that has been removed.

#1. What's at the other end of the wire?#2. Looks like a helmet speaker/communications wire that would pass between the seat and tank.

Bob
The other end of the wire is tapped to a hot and a ground in the taillight wiring harness, yes it does look communication wire but its hot, dont ask how I know.

The bike has had a communication system on it because there is a PTT button hard wired on the left control lever.
Here's my guess. The wires from the tail-light are being used as a source of a 12V (ignition) switched voltage to whatever the multipin cable went to but is no longer there?

Last edited by a moderator:
03 model, has heated grips, one battery tender style plug coming up from battery under the throttle, audiovox cruise control, and one plug I have no idea.
So here are some pics, can anybody put this to rest for me?

The plug rests under the rider seat then follows the frame down the left side to a black box under the pass. seat, from the box a red and black wire leave to meet the wiring harness for the tail section. Here are the pics. Also the the actual plug looks like an audio plug.

l_db11ebf048762f89185494621a9193e1.jpg

l_aea53c3466beba3296d8ad2b103cebb7.jpg

l_d5d7e28143f32e0b0b18e44b7b7190e0.jpg

l_e52a9c7c440635376629272a294bb438.jpg
the small silver plug looks like gerbing heated stuff, the black plug looks like my J@M radio set up

the small silver plug looks like gerbing heated stuff, the black plug looks like my J@M radio set up

The two pics of the plug are the same, just on is of what the end looks like, it has no pins and likes and rca jack on your TV. Does Gerbrings clothing have this style plug? can't find any pics of their connections on their website.

The hell with it! I just tucked away nice and neat under the pass. seat. If I or someone figures out what it is great, if not F it.

Thanks for help though guys. Movin right along to the next project.

P

Last edited by a moderator:
Disconnect those wires from the tail light harness, pull the whole thing out, and install a Blue Sea fuse block!