Help with hand brake wiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinJax

Reaction score
Hello, I installed a turn indicator buzzer and it works fine connected to gound. I would like to connect it to the hand brake wire to interupt the sound when I am sitting at a stoplight. Can someone tell me where to access the wire? Are their any pictures available? I have searched the net to no avail. Thanks very much in advance. Kevin

I'm looking at the schematic and while there are a few places in the wiring harness where you could access the wires from the switch I think the easiest place would be in the tail section. You could use the wire to the stop light to get 12 volts to activate a relay which would open the circuit to your buzzer. It would mean a longer wire run back to the buzzer, but that run would only require a small gauge pair, and the relay could remain in the tail section.

Let me know if you need more specific information.

Hello, I installed a turn indicator buzzer and it works fine connected to gound. I would like to connect it to the hand brake wire to interupt the sound when I am sitting at a stoplight. Can someone tell me where to access the wire? Are their any pictures available? I have searched the net to no avail. Thanks very much in advance. Kevin
Depends how you mean to interrupt the buzzer.

I've roughed out the brake circuit - this is for the AS/AE, but the only significant difference is the extra diode just before the brake lamps.

(Click on image for larger view)

The hand-brake switch wire is normally connected to the +12V, and disconnects when the brake is operated, probably not what you'd expect. The only really "safe" connection is the yellow wire going to the lamp, this can only be accessed under the seat.

(Pictures around here show how I tapped into mine for my CCS install.)

There again, you should only put on a load (such as a relay coil) between the wire and ground. If you try to sink current through the lamp, you may upset things like the ABS computer which expects a good 0V on that wire when the brake lights are off.

First off, kudos to the OP for making your own solution to the "I left my turn signal on" problem that we all experience from time to time (whether we care to admit it or not.)

Using the brake lamp signal to interrupt the beeping would seem like a better idea than the hand brake signal alone, since there will be times when you'd want to use the rear brake to hold your position at a stop. Like when facing up a steep hill perhaps? I know that I do that often so I don't have to hold the hand brake and operate the throttle simultaneously with the right hand. [edit] I do see that you are from FL, so may not be so important to you. But you have to leave FLAtlandistan sometimes, right? ;)

Just use a small relay to interrupt the path between the flasher signal and the buzzer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents, Thanks so much for the cogent replies. It means a lot to have access to great information like this. I will try the above yellow wire idea first and then go from there. I'll repost when successful. Thanks again!!! Kevin