Help With Helmet Stereo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjcin

Reaction score
I am not new to motorcycling, but I am new to the sport touring segment. After lurking here and some other places, I put a deposit on a new 2015 A model. I would like to buy 2 matching good quality helmets(Shoei or Arai) and be able to have 2 way communication between passenger and rider as well as some Pandora music. I am not a techy, just got my first smartphone 2 weeks ago, so be easy on me with your replies. Anything specific I should look for in a helmet? Thanks Tim C

Pick the helmet that fits best just make sure it has speaker pockets. Depending on budget buy a Sena 10S, 20S or SMH10 dual pack.

I use the SMH5-FM. It's cheaper than a SMH-10 and has nearly all the features as far as I can tell (a few differences do exist). You can also get dual packs of them for less than $190. A pair of SMH10's looks like another $40-$50. Depending on the helmets you'll be using look for the boom mic or the stick on mic. I use a stick on with my modular, but most use the boom. I have a boom, but never installed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5D-02-Low-Profile-Motorcycle-Bluetooth/dp/B0087NB23Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1457652876&sr=8-3&keywords=smh5-fm+dual

https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10D-10-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Intercom/dp/B0087NAZM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457652986&sr=8-1&keywords=smh10+dual

Thanks. Do those units need to be recharged after a days riding?

Yes I have forgotten a few times to charge my Sena SMH10 after a full day of riding while on tour, and it dies sometime into the next day. YMMV depending upon how much you use it. I listen to music all day while I am riding.

Also I ride with earplugs, and I wish for a little more volume with the SMH10. This is fixed with the 20S. Everything else I like very much about the SMH10. It works with smartphone for streaming music really well.

Yes, you might get 12 hours.

Either Arai or Shoei are top-notch helmets. The Shoei has the edge with speaker pockets, and the cheekpads don't cover the speakers. I just switched from Arai to Shoei, and the Shoei is much louder (easier to hear). The SMH-10 is what I use, and prices have dropped since the 20s came out.

Best of luck,

Rob

Lots of great advice already Tim. Another Sena user, have the SMH10 dual pack for the SO and me. When these wear out, I'll upgrade to the new 20S or whatever the next model is.

Anything specific I should look for in a helmet?
Whichever helmet you choose make sure it's comfortable and fits your head(s). I've been a Shoei user forever because they fit my noggin. Tried a few models from Arai but the fit wasn't right and I knew the helmet wouldn't work for me. If you wear glasses or plan on being on/off the bike often consider a modular. For the convenience of a quick drink or snack they can't be beat.

Happy hunting!

--G

I use the uclear system. little cheaper than most and easier to install due to mic built into ear piece. Sound no as good as sena from what im told tho. Scala is another reputable company. if your made of cash and want easier option then shuberth and nolan have there own built in option systems but im not sure how good they are as these are wayy out of my price range. some bike shops have a demo shelf set up to look and play with them also lots of reviews out there. just make sure you buy a match pair to avoid compatibility issues.

Whichever helmet you choose make sure it's comfortable and fits your head(s). I've been a Shoei user forever because they fit my noggin. Tried a few models from Arai but the fit wasn't right and I knew the helmet wouldn't work for me.
Traditionally an "Arai head" was rounder and a Shoei head was narrower. Today Arai makes helmets in 3 distinct head shapes. Nearly 20 years ago the narrower Arai Signet fit me. Similar in head shape as my current Shoei RF-1100.

I find HJC helmets to be closer to traditional round Arai. Had an AC-X1 (dirt) which fit great 14 years ago but an AC-X3 did not. And AC-11 street was too wide inside and short front/rear.

Yes. That's usually not a problem for me. Sena says 10 hours per charge and I think that's about right. I carry a battery pack with a USB cable in the event I need to charge while riding. They are specified to be able to operate while charging.

Lots of good recommendations here. A quality helmet (I use Shoei) will provide more sound reduction which will help with volume issues. I am using the SMH10 and started with helmet speakers. They fit well in the helmet, but really didn't work great while wearing ear protection. I switched to custom earbuds that allow me to everything clearly without a lot of volume.

Like I said, this segment is new to me, but IMO earbuds might be a safety concern. Do you think they affect your ability to hear horns, etc as opposed to speakers in the helmet?

Like I said, this segment is new to me, but IMO earbuds might be a safety concern. Do you think they affect your ability to hear horns, etc as opposed to speakers in the helmet?
The issue for me is more about quietening the wind noise. I'm not sure that earbuds would do it enough for me. I can hear my Sena just fine through the earplugs. In addition, I absolutely hate the rubbing noises that get transmitted along the cord to the earbuds.

The issue for me is more about quietening the wind noise. I'm not sure that earbuds would do it enough for me. I can hear my Sena just fine through the earplugs. In addition, I absolutely hate the rubbing noises that get transmitted along the cord to the earbuds.
You are not using the right earbuds then. I also use an LDcomfort helmet liner.

Using the earbuds is no different then wearing earplugs and blasting sound through the speakers. You need some noise attenuation.

My "earbuds" are tiny speakers that are molded into earplugs that are molded to fit my ears. Outside noise attenuation is amazing, although I can still hear horns (they're not honking at me) and tire noise from big trucks. Those noises are at a level slightly above a calm conversation in a quiet room.

My music, then, only has to be at that same level -- or a little louder than a calm conversation in a quiet room.

No fatigue from 6 hours of constant noise; no squeaking from earbud wires (?); music is audible and decent quality (from the iPhone, not the Garmin); and no voices in my head.

and no voices in my head.
How do you stop those?
not_i.gif