Help with posting photo's form A Droid.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redtail

Reaction score
I'm trying to post pic's real time as part of the Big Money Rally.

Originally all was good but I had my phone replaced ( my new phone is now a factory re-furbished one :angry2: )and it seems to have newer software.

Some of my pic's are posting right away, but then I'll have some not post at all, and then all post at once.

I think it has to do with msg I get about re-entering my account password but how do I fix it? I don't get that msg until several have stacked up!

Anybody???

apparently it has to do with "sign in error". But when I send a pic there is no way to know if your signed in or not, and it wasn't happening before!

So i take a picture and choose "share", then pick e-mail, add from contacts and send! Only it just holds it until you realize your no longer "signed in". Then when you do sign in, it fires off however many are in the que. arrr!

good news is I'm learning this during a rally with lots of time. Glad I didn't have a client waiting for a picture!

Still not sure if there's a fix.

Android forum supplied a supposed work around!

Removed email account, re-installed manually as IMAP file. All of this is greek to me but I followed directions and first two test emails went through. I'll try again tomorrow!

I was talking to myself, online, in the middle of the night!!!

I had ridden up Mt. Baldy to post a pic of the post office.

IMG_2039.jpg

Then rode to Idyllwild and Mountain Center.

Then because I still had time I crossed back north and went to Wrightwood.

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

The road from there to Newcombs was open yesterday and was a beautiful ride!

I was trying to work out this posting issue. I've at least identified the problem. Random log out from email which causes pics to be stored in the out box! :angry2:

Most of it's a connectivity issue. Mail, IMs, and other traffic stack up until a good connection becomes next available and then the log jam breaks loose and they all spill out.

Most of it's a connectivity issue. Mail, IMs, and other traffic stack up until a good connection becomes next available and then the log jam breaks loose and they all spill out.
That's also true, but in this case it's a compatibility issue between Yahoo and the Droid!

I'm randomly being "logged off" basically. You send the info and it appears to go through (and does sometimes), but there's no alert. I just didn't know if it was me, the new phone or the admins being gone for the weekend!

Once I found out that it was on my end, I just kept chasing it down (Android forum). Turns out I'm not unique after all! Others had been down this road before me!

So FYI Yahoo/Droid users! Otherwise it's a really cool way to log bonus locations! If my work around solution doesn't fix it (or cause something else to happen) I'll just have to change email accounts.

The generic answer is to configure for on-demand connectivity instead of always-on. The connection will be "constructed" when needed (and when there's a proper signal) then torn down when done; limiting connection time & costs while having the info needed to rebuild dropped connections as they occur.

That's why I tend toward POP3 instead of IMAP [1] but that's just me.

As for Yahoo, I have seen that their connection reliability is highly variable and without apparent reason. It'll work fine for a while then go tango uniform for sometimes days then come back.

[1] I don't care for the auto-synch of IMAP because there's less control over what stays on the server when you delete something locally [2].

[2] And vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Yahoo, I have seen that their connection reliability is highly variable and without apparent reason. It'll work fine for a while then go tango uniform for sometimes days then come back.
Yes, that's the one!

Awesome to know. So there is a down side to the IMAP work around. Must be time to lose Yahoo!

Just another project for today that wasn't on my list, but more interesting than most of the list! :p

Not sure exactly what you are looking for feature wise but Dropbox now does automatic picture uploads, you could also look at Google+, quite a few photography peeps have been moving to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMAP, IIUC, is a mirror/synch between the server and client. Delete a message on one and they both go.

POP3 can be set to download-but-don't delete from the server so you can read from your phone but still have it there (after deletion on the phone) for when you get back to your archival desktop system. i'm all about the deleting and cleaning up of e-mail.

GMail's pretty flexible. Hardly down. Keeps everything. Had G+ for that social shyte.

The other fix is to move to something better than Yahoo. Just sayin....
Suggestions? Would love to avoid jumping out of the pan and into the fire! Gmail, maybe?
Yep. Their price is right, and you get to choose between IMAP and POP3 (personally I do POP but leave the messages on the server and manually remove them).

The Droid does work much better with Gmail, and Gmail is much better than Yahoo.. I made the switch during the first Android phone G1 which required a Gmail account and I've never looked back.

You can set (or at least I can) with a an EVO 3D to auto save phone images to your G+ account via the phone settings. Any photo taken will auto upload without any additional button pushing. A feature you may want to turn off after the Rally ends ;)

I use Hotmail on the Droid X, but to post pics I upload them to Photobucket and then copy the link. It's a bit of a hassle, but it works.