Help With Windscreen Change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Barnard

Reaction score
I am about to mount up a C-Baileys screen and need to remove the painted plastic cover that goes over the screws that fasten the screen. How do I remove it? Also are there any other oddities or issues WRT changing out the screen. Thanks.

Just a matter of removing the screws (7 of them on my '03) then the plastic cover and shield pop right off from the metal bracket underneath.

I am Gen 1 though -- early riser : :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stand in front of the bike and get down on one knee. Look at the bottom leading edge of the windshield, between the shield and the fairing. There are two 3mm allen screws that hold the black plastic cover in place. Remove those and the black cover comes off. This will expose all of the black plastic screws that hold the shield in place. I think there are 7. Just remove those and the shield comes off. Install in the reverse order. Just don't over do the plastic screws. The whold job takes about 5 minutes.

BTW the shield needs to be in the down position to get to the 3mm allen screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a matter of removing the screws (7 of them on my '03) then the plastic cover and shield pop right off from the metal bracket underneath.
I am Gen 1 though -- early riser : :)
I am confused. The painted plastic dress piece covers the screw heads. I am very limited in my mechanical aptitude, but it appears to me that the plastic dressing piece has to be removed prior to taking screws off.

I am confused. The painted plastic dress piece covers the screw heads. I am very limited in my mechanical aptitude, but it appears to me that the plastic dressing piece has to be removed prior to taking screws off.
Correct, you need to remove the plastic piece to get at the screws. Raise your shield all the way up and then look at the bottom of the plastic "W". There are two screws holding that on from the bottom, once you remove those it pops off to reveal the 7 screws that hold the shield on.

Stand in front of the bike and get down on one knee. Look at the bottom leading edge of the windshield, between the shield and the fairing. There are two 3mm allen screws that hold the black plastic cover in place. Remove those and the black cover comes off. This will expose all of the black plastic screws that hold the shield in place. I think there are 7. Just remove those and the shield comes off. Install in the reverse order. Just don't over do the plastic screws. The whold job takes about 5 minutes.
BTW the shield needs to be in the down position to get to the 3mm allen screws.

That was it. The hidden allen screws. Job complete, no cussing required. Thanks.

Sorry, Only Gen I owners get up this early. Around noon the Gen II guys will long on and give you a hand.
Us Gen II owners get up plenty early (4am for me this morning). But unlike slacker Gen I owners, we are actually working and not screwing off on the internet. :D