HID bulb not moving to "High Beam" Possition

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I have a set of the HID lights where there is a servo that moves the bulb in and out, thus putting it in a high or low beam position. I noticed this morning that one of the bulbs is not moving when I hit the high beam switch.

My questions is what do I need to check, or replace to get the bulb working properly again? Should I plan on replacing whatever needs to be replaced on the other bulb as well, since it if it is a wear issue, the bulbs have the same number of hours on them.

How did I know you were going to jump on this. Hey, the bulb still works fine for the low beam, and with the LED's it isn't like I don't have enough down road light if I want it.

You know with your crappy yellow bulbs it kind of looks like you are driving an illuminated bowel of fish piss. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So...has anyone here attempted a retrofit with HID projector units, rather than HID reflector bulbs???

I'm thinking about trying a retro-install on Frankenbike.

Sorry, Trigger....no clue on your situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howie, There was a guy at the CFO meet that installed projector units. I can't remember his forum handle, but maybe someone else here will. I know he rode in the Rally Rallie that was at CFO this year.

My questions is what do I need to check, or replace to get the bulb working properly again?
Same thing here and I took a quick look seeing if I could possibly squirt a drop of oil in a key spot or something...and didn't see anything obvious or that I'd trust. There seemed to be a possibly heat related element, but I couldn't figure it out. It's one reason I abandoned Hi-Lo HID as an option . I still like low-beam HID conversion as an option with aux lights to fill.

How did I know you were going to jump on this. Hey, the bulb still works fine for the low beam, and with the LED's it isn't like I don't have enough down road light if I want it.

You know with your crappy yellow bulbs it kind of looks like you are driving an illuminated bowel of fish piss. :D

I was kind. :D

Same thing here and I took a quick look seeing if I could possibly squirt a drop of oil in a key spot or something...and didn't see anything obvious or that I'd trust. There seemed to be a possibly heat related element, but I couldn't figure it out. It's one reason I abandoned Hi-Lo HID as an option . I still like low-beam HID conversion as an option with aux lights to fill.
Funny, I was kind of thinking that I might like things with one of the HID's staying in the low beam direction while the other one moves. I will have to see how it looks the next time I ride in low light conditions.

FWIW, my HID's were working fine this morning so I am thinking it might just be a lose wire. I did talk to the people at HID Country to see what they thought could be the cause. I DID NOT buy my HID's from them, but the kit they are selling looks identical to the one I have, and they were friendly and helpful. ( the usual no affiliation with the vendor disclaimer)

The first thing they suggested was to switch the bulbs around (left to right, and right to left) to see if it was in fact something in bulb assembly, or the relay. Good thought.

I will add this to my long list of electrical issues I am trying to get through. None of them serious, but all of them annoying.

Funny, I was kind of thinking that I might like things with one of the HID's staying in the low beam direction while the other one moves. I will have to see how it looks the next time I ride in low light conditions.

Yes, EXACTLY!

I intentionally disabled one (the left) telescopic HID and the beam cast is far superior to either the stock Halogen high beams or the HID retrofits with both sides operational.

My problem was that my HID retrofit capsules do not have a spring that holds them into the low beam position, so without any current to the solenoid holding it either in high or low beam position, the mechanism was free to bounce where it wanted. Not good.

Check yours. If it is spring loaded and you feel confident in it staying in the low position, leave it alone and enjoy the improvement. Otherwise, you may be better off replacing the capsule with a fixed low beam capsule.

PS - troubleshooting wise, you'll want to know whether the capsule solenoid is bad or it's not getting the right signal voltage from the relay assembly

Try removing them both and setting them on a flat surface and triggering. If they both work it probably just got stuck. Ive seen it happen on these kits. No problems after. Sometimes people will also have the wire coming out the back of the bulb in the wrong position too and it won't trigger.

Next time check the little connector that enables the high beam solenoid. See if it has the 12V I'm guessing it supplies. Also check the relay box that comes with the kits we have to make sure it is securely connected to the harness and that there is no corrosion. If you didn't know it, it is detachable. that would be soemthing nice to have on hand for a road trip in case that controlling relay went bad. I put dielectric grease on all the pins.