hid kit opinions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Covered here in an ongoing group buy and many other places searching on ddmtuning. Talked about many, many times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, that group buy Iggy linked to is long dead.

As for HID kits, you don't want to know what I think.

I have installed at least four motorcycle HID kits from HIDcountry.com with great success. I would suggest the 9300/H4 in a 4300K color. Should set you back $50/side. Well shielded bulb with a good light cutoff and slim ballasts. Most important, I know they back what they sell. I know of a failed ballast that was replaced with no cost or hassle.

I have installed at least four motorcycle HID kits from HIDcountry.com with great success. I would suggest the 9300/H4 in a 4300K color. Should set you back $50/side. Well shielded bulb with a good light cutoff and slim ballasts. Most important, I know they back what they sell. I know of a failed ballast that was replaced with no cost or hassle.
Tom is that what your running in your FJR?

Tom is that what your running in your FJR?
Yes, and I have the Clearwater LEDs just for the hell of it. The HIDs are really doing most of the heavy pulling, but the LEDs are a nice fill.

HIDlights2006.jpg

HIDlights2007.jpg

I jumped on a DDM Tuning group buy for an HID kit for one of my cages about 7 years ago, and never had a lick of trouble. I'm sure they're using different ballasts now, but they were a good company to work with.

More recently, I bought a hi/lo H4 set from eBay user "xebrite" right at 2 years ago to put on my Suzuki Katana and haven't had any failures. Best part is, they put a lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballasts.

Regardless of whether you want the "bling" of HID headlights or not, the fact is they do increase your FOV and distance at night as well as your visibility to cage drivers. My personal preference is 6000k as it produces a lot of crisp, white light without the blue tint.

This company is worth checking out before making a decision. I have DDM HID kit in the cage and it's still working but is often flaky in not lighting up one of the bulbs, also their sales/support people are a joke. When I originally spoke with them I got some kid who knew less about HID than my wife :angry2:

Retro Solutions HID

6000k most definitely has blue tint. Though there seems to be little if any standardization in the industry.

This company is worth checking out before making a decision. I have DDM HID kit in the cage and it's still working but is often flaky in not lighting up one of the bulbs, also their sales/support people are a joke. When I originally spoke with them I got some kid who knew less about HID than my wife :angry2:

Retro Solutions HID

+1 on the RetroSolutions. I have theirs also. I found them on the cumminsforum.com site. They have a very good reputation there for service and fixing problems. you can read about them here Retro solutions on CumminsForum. If you contact them and tell them you heard about them on CummminsForum they give a 10% discount. But you need to call them for the motorcycle application so you get the right wiring harness. Their service is great, the knowledge is outstanding. From what I have seen their warranty is as advertised, lifetime on lamps and ballasts.

I have these installed on my bike 35w slim digital ballast H4 with the wiring harness, shipping and discount applied I paid (IIRC) $160. They arrived in 3 days.

They also make a 55w version if you want more, but the 35w are very impressive for their output.

Disclaimer: not affiliated with RetroSolutions, just giving my experience and how you can get a discount on their product.

EDIT: I got the 5000K lamps and the use "Diesel" for the discount code

https://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Motorcycle-HID-Kits-Lighting

A friend told me about these kits for hid. It seems really cheap he said alot of Busa riders have installed them and like them.

Has anyone tried these?
I once had a DDM bi-xenon kit. The highbeam was practically worthless. Low beam was better than the stock halogens.

I'm now running a Futurevision low beam only kit, and the light pattern, both downrange and peripherally, is worlds better than the DDM kit I had.

any opinions on the differences between hid with their own projectors vs. bulbs only. We ride through heavy deer country at night (obviously) on a weekly basis. I don't care about looks, just want as much low and high beam light as possible, (especially high beam). I'm looking at retro solutions 50w bi-xenon bulb only kit. Any feedback appreciated.

any opinions on the differences between hid with their own projectors vs. bulbs only. We ride through heavy deer country at night (obviously) on a weekly basis. I don't care about looks, just want as much low and high beam light as possible, (especially high beam). I'm looking at retro solutions 50w bi-xenon bulb only kit. Any feedback appreciated.
bump

You might also want to consider getting The Hornet Deer Whistle. I was lucky with my first and hopefully last deer encounter recently, limited damage and I kept the bike up, but did kill that POS :evilsmiley03: The Hornet at least has some science and research behind it...

products-v120.jpg