Hidden switch for aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesonicboom

Reaction score
Hi all, for those who went to WFO-6 and saw my bike with the hidden switch for the piaa aux lights that turned on by the high beam switch, I found the site that has them. https://www.autoswitch.com/2006/models/as5p/as5p_index.shtml make sure you get the as-5p. This kit allows for the high beam switch to control your auxilary lighting and not an actual switch. Price is only 22.95

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing to see. The auto switch allows you to connect your aux lights to your high beam switch. To turn on your aux lights, you click on the high beam switch for a second til the LED starts flashing, then you turn the high beam switch off and whala, your aux lights turn on. Its real clean, no yucky toggle switches to clutter up your bike.

I guess I don't get it. Why not just wire your Aux lights into your high beam if that's what you want?

For example. I have my Aux lights on a switch and that switch is wired to my high beams. Once the Aux switch is turned on I can activate my Aux lights by going to high beam. If I choose to run High beam without the aux, I simply turn of the Aux switch. I could have left the aux switch out of the loop and just wired right into the high beam. How would that have been different than this autoswitch?

EDIT: Oh, now I get it. I didn't read enough the first time I visited that site. Essentially it looks as if you can "double-click" your high beam switch to activate the aux lights. Sorta cool I guess.

How would that have been different than this autoswitch?
I think he can have his aux on with his highs off. But you can do that too with a 3 position switch (on-off-on). (I can never remember if that is double pole or double throw, pole I think)

Using an exsisting switch to do more than one thing? Definitely cool. I've seen that switch in action on a relative's BMW. By making the high beam switch "dual function", there's no need to add additional switches for aux lighting.

How would that have been different than this autoswitch?
I think he can have his aux on with his highs off. But you can do that too with a 3 position switch (on-off-on). (I can never remember if that is double pole or double throw, pole I think)
gunny! been doing that for years on several bikes. one way is always off. one way is on all the time. one way is on with the high beams. no fancy footwork needed. just flip the huge toggle and goffer it.

Well, the use of this $20 product eliminates the need for a seperate switch period. You can control your aux lights by the high beam switch. By flicking on the highbeams, it sends a pulse to the ic which waits for another pulse which is the switching off of the high beams then boom, your aux light turns on. you can still turn on your high beams then, just flick the switch to high beams and wait for the led to stop blinking because if you flick the switch off while the led is blinking it will turn off (or on) your aux lights. By using the auto switch it eliminates the need to have the high beam switch on all of the time and the aux lights which will happen if you just wire in a relay to the high beam switch. I personally don't like riding with the high beam switch on all the time.

Then you go to high again to turn off the aux?
Exactly. The autoswitch uses the high beam switch to activate the IC and relay. One switch to do multiple things, I think it is cool. Just wanted to share it, some of the WFO-6 guys were wanting the info.

Exactly. The autoswitch uses the high beam switch to activate the IC and relay. One switch to do multiple things, I think it is cool. Just wanted to share it, some of the WFO-6 guys were wanting the info.
I think I like it.

Anyone got one of these equipped and going to EOM?

I think I like it.

Well I love it, but not going to EOM, sorry. But hey, its only $22. and you are going to love it, trust me...

I think I like it.

Well I love it, but not going to EOM, sorry. But hey, its only $22. and you are going to love it, trust me...
Question... How does one run the aux lights and high beams simultaneously?

With what, the autoswitch. You turn on the aux lights by flicking on the highbeams on then when the LED starts flashing, you turn the switch off which turns on the aux lights. If you want the high beams on then you just flick the switch to high beams. In order to turn on the aux lights, you only have a window of about 2-3 seconds while the LED light is flashing to turn the switch off to activate your aux lights.

Ok, it seems there is a lot of confusion here, I will outline the steps better

1. to turn on the aux lights, you flick on the high beam switch

2. a LED starts to flash for only 2-3 seconds. To turn on the aux lights, you must turn off the high beam switch while the LED light is flashing, otherwise they won't

3. If you want your high beams on, then just turn the switch back on, just don't touch it while the LED is flashing. The point of the LED flashing, lets you know when you turn the switch back off to activate your aux lights.

to recap

1. switch on, LED flashes

2. switch off, aux lights turn on

3. for high beams as well turn switch on.

4. to turn off with high beams on, turn switch off then on again, LED flashes

5. switch off, aux lights off.

I know this sounds complicated to some, but it really isnt and the install makes it possible to have aux lights with no additional external switches.