Hidden switch for aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link to site is at the top of the thread. I have had nothing but good experience with this product. Real reliable and no issues at all.

Thanks FJRobert for the cyclegadgets web site.

Could not get anything from the other one.

Joe

Called Iron Horse before I ordered on line.

They did not have it, at least the guy I talked to

said they do not carry it.

Thanks anyway.

Joe

Any body have any idea where I should tie in for the trigger wire?

From the wiring diagram there are headlight relays already on the bike. That I didn't know. I figure between the actual switch and relay. Is that correct? What colour of wire am I looking for?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Any body have any idea where I should tie in for the trigger wire?
From the wiring diagram there are headlight relays already on the bike. That I didn't know. I figure between the actual switch and relay. Is that correct? What colour of wire am I looking for?

thanks

Huron52, I tied into the high beam wire just off of the H4 socket - and it's not very pretty. If anyone has a cleaner location to pick up the high beam, please let us know.

I have a GenII bike - and the wire is the yellow one. Should be the same for the GenI bikes.

I use the one in the wire loom by the steering column.

There are two looms. I used one that had a red one for

the switched power and it looked like it was blue black for the

high beam. Worked out great.

Joe

Thanks ...

I am also in the process of labeling all the other wires I have put under the plastics... Not sure if I can clean it up any under there but at least I'll know what's what!

Finished the install and I like the switch.... kind of cool!

Tied into the yellow wire leading to the headlight. As for the lights.... It was still daylight with my mirrored visor on at night.

thanks for posting up this kind of switch and help with the wiring! :good:

Ok, it seems there is a lot of confusion here, I will outline the steps better
1. to turn on the aux lights, you flick on the high beam switch

2. a LED starts to flash for only 2-3 seconds. To turn on the aux lights, you must turn off the high beam switch while the LED light is flashing, otherwise they won't

3. If you want your high beams on, then just turn the switch back on, just don't touch it while the LED is flashing. The point of the LED flashing, lets you know when you turn the switch back off to activate your aux lights.

to recap

1. switch on, LED flashes

2. switch off, aux lights turn on

3. for high beams as well turn switch on.

4. to turn off with high beams on, turn switch off then on again, LED flashes

5. switch off, aux lights off.

I know this sounds complicated to some, but it really isnt and the install makes it possible to have aux lights with no additional external switches.
This is true. Not complicated and a fun little bit of tech. Unless you have the Euro-Hi flash switch installed. A different set of spegetti sorting skills are required. I had to choose between the two. Not enough active brain cells to sort the combinations out.

Tinker