• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

High Mileage 2008 FJR1300A ABS For Sale -- Cheap!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRTom

Reaction score
This motorcycle was purchased new from Apache Motorsports in Phoenix, Arizona, by me in December of 2007. I have been the sole owner and rider. She is my second FJR, the first being a first-generation 2005 model on which I rode 55,000 miles before upgrading to this second-generation ’08 FJR. Why am I selling? Because my third FJR, a third-generation 2013 model, is now in my garage taking its place!

The ’08 has been a fantastic ride for me. In 2008 I rode this bike on all of the Southern California Motorcycle Association (SCMA) requirements to be one of eleven “Triple-Crown” winners in that premier year for the award. She has done the SCMA USA Four Corners Tour, the California Parks Adventure, and has completed the ’08, ’09, ’10, and ’12 Three Flags Classic Tour. In 201 I rode her on an 8,000 mile loop from Arizona to the Canadian Maritime Provinces, and included the Blue Ridge Parkway, The Snake, and Tail of the Dragon roads on the return leg. She has seen her share of Arizona, Utah, and Colorado and has never let me down mechanically on all of the miles we’ve covered.

Although I have moved some of the equipment I added from the ’08 to the ’13, she still has the following add-ons and modifications:

• Fenda Extenda (piece added to front fender’s back edge to improve gravel protection for the radiator)
  • Motolight halogen beams mounted on the front brake calipers
  • Laminar Lip added to stock windscreen (this provides a huge bubble of still air for the rider!)
  • Suzuki V-Strom knuckle guards to protect the rider’s hands from wind and bugs
  • Extended handlebar end weights
  • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock
  • Throttle Rocker (to allow right hand and wrist to relax)
  • Auto-retract feature of the windscreen has been disabled (just like Yamaha finally did for the 2013s! The windscreen still travels through its full up and down range, but only when commanded by the control switch.)
  • The accessory (“glove”) box has been modified so that it opens without the requirement to be in neutral with the key on.
  • Carbon Fiber Generator Cover
  • Frame Sliders (to provide more bodywork protection during tip-overs)
  • Powerlet BMW-style plug added near left passenger foot peg. This allows for battery trickle-charging as well as for heating clothing connection.)
  • Green Light trigger attached to centerstand
  • Brand new 2013 Rider’s saddle (transferred from my new bike since I had modified the ’08 seat to my liking)
Like all FJRs, she comes with dual hard-case, locking, saddlebags with Yamaha-logoed removable liners.

As the pictures that follow show, this motorcycle has been a rider, not a showpiece. It is cluttered with lots of the decals showing the travels she has taken. Although she has never gone down when moving, she has hit the pavement three times. The first was at a gas station when my foot slipped on an oily patch . The second was when making a stop in a gravel parking lot, where again my foot found no traction. The third was during a group ride when another bike pulled in too close and too fast beside me, went down, falling into the FJR like a domino, causing the bike and me to again go down. All of the resultant damage has been confined to paint scratches and a nick in a mirror mount and I have chosen not to repair the cosmetics…since it will likely happen again.

I have done the majority of maintenance on the cycle myself, taking it to the dealer for a recall affecting the ignition switch and to a professional shop for valve-adjustments, fork overhauls, triple-tree bearing cleaning, etc. After the break-in (I did the Motoman technique) I have used fully synthetic oil, either Amsoil or Mobil 1, and changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

New Michelin Pilot Road 2 front and rear tires were installed about 8,500 miles ago and probably have 2,000 – 4,000 miles of life remaining. As ridden by me, this bike averages 48 mpg, using the recommended 87-octane gas. Its 6.6 gallon tank thus yields a range of about 300 miles.

Although the Kelly Bluebook value for this bike is $8,890, I am offering it “As Is” for $5,500, due to its cosmetic scratches and its relatively high mileage: about 83,000. (On the FJR Owners internet Forum, a few FJRs owners have passed the 200,000 mile mark and many are well past the 100,000 mark.) I am sure this bike would have continued to provide perfect service for me for many additional years, but the changes made in the 2013 model pushed me to make the move now.

Although I think the new owner would prefer to make cosmetic improvements himself or herself – probably for less money – but for a selling price of $6,500 I will remove all decals and have all scratches removed/repainted. Also, for an additional $500, I will include the optional Yamaha trunk, mounting bracket and hardware – already with a lock matching the other locks on the bike, so all are operated by the same ignition key.

To ask questions and to arrange to see the bike, please call me, Tom Clements, at 602-625-9132 or e-mail at [email protected]

DSCN3050_zps3318504b.jpg

DSCN3051_zpsaad17af4.jpg

DSCN3052_zps64c882c7.jpg

DSCN3053_zpsaa9486fa.jpg

DSCN3049_zps598050be.jpg

DSCN3047_zps7006801a.jpg

DSCN3043_zpsf1aeccec.jpg

DSCN3044_zps2847df4d.jpg

DSCN3045_zpsd9c6bcdc.jpg

DSCN3046_zpseaa8662a.jpg

DSCN3054_zpsb01da686.jpg

DSCN3056_zps8ce9497c.jpg

DSCN3062_zps1ba83503.jpg

DSCN3063_zps0a727ac0.jpg

DSCN3064_zps497f3889.jpg

DSCN3065_zps32051d4b.jpg

DSCN3061_zpsaad528fa.jpg

DSCN3060_zpsf9b6d7bc.jpg

DSCN3057_zps34c5a951.jpg

DSCN3058_zps56a5f196.jpg

DSCN3059_zps36a81a76.jpg

DSCN3066_zps9da9fe9e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a decent deal Tom.

BTW, ABS was standard on FJRs starting in 2006, not optional. And the gas tank is 6.6 gallons, not 6.5.

Does it burn oil? When were the valves last adjusted? Did you ever have an auxiliary fuel tank on the bike?

Well, dang! It's been on Craig's List, too, now for a week and still no interest. Today I took my heat gun and removed all of the ride decals. I'll be darned...she looks even better "naked!" I figure the new owner won't be wanting to be reminded of where I took the bike...he or she can make there own adventures on it. I still think it's a heckuva deal for $5,500. Am I badly offbase?

I don't think you're off base at all Tom. Unfortunately, the uninformed who are not aware of how well this bikes holds up, are mistakenly put off by the not-really-all-that-high milage IMHO. I agree with you though that removing the stickers is a good move. It'll look a lot cleaner. Here's to hoping you sell her soon Tom.

Hi Tom, just curious how the paint matches now the stickers are removed. Can you upload a close-up? It's slow moving anything on a online classifieds, I have a sporty Corvette that won't move and all I get is people asking to barter. As for your mileage, I don't see a problem and I would make you a offer should something sell at my end.

Well, dang! It's been on Craig's List, too, now for a week and still no interest. Today I took my heat gun and removed all of the ride decals. I'll be darned...she looks even better "naked!" I figure the new owner won't be wanting to be reminded of where I took the bike...he or she can make there own adventures on it. I still think it's a heckuva deal for $5,500. Am I badly offbase?
The mileage will put many people off but you'll sell it eventually. Replace your Craigslist ad every week so you don't fall way down the list and put the ad on several Craigslist areas near you. You'll have to change the wording and title a bit for each different area ad or Craigslist will reject it. They're very picky about ad spammers.

Last edited by a moderator:
just my own opinion, but I stay away from craiglist as a buyer...I have purchased and would purchase vehicles off ebay
I guess what sucks these days, is the cost of the fees
forums are another great place to advertise...I don't know about cycletrader

One of our forum brothers, jjp4674, has a solid interest in my FJR but he's back east. How about a Phoenix-area FJR-owner/volunteer who'd like to take my '08 for a goodly test ride, check it over, and give an un-biased report to the prospective buyer? Nice weather now for a free ride, eh? Please let me know if you'd like to help out. Thanks.