High-pitched electronic whine when running...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC65

Reaction score
My '16 is making a high-pitched electronic whine that I can hear when running (seemingly best heard around the rear of the tank area but it's admittedly tough to pin down precisely where it's coming from), and I can vary pitch via the electronic switch (knocks down a bit lower in tone if I hit and hold the switch to lower the windshield, for example). Does that high-pitched electronic whine sound like a familiar problem to anyone? It's not loud, per se, but it is noticable. The bike otherwise (if it is, in fact, even a problem...not sure if they all do this or not, but that seems kinda unlikely) runs fine, no mechanical or electronic problems.

On the PNW Meet thread, someone mentioned it might be the fuel pump...I was wondering about that, but would the pump be notably affected (lowers the pitch a bit) by the use of the rocker switch to lower/raise the windshield or adjust the grip warmers? Is the load to all connected? As a test, I held down the switch, and the pitch of the tone audibly lowers as long as I depress the switch...when I stop depressing the switch, the tone goes back in pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to say fuel pump. When you hit your windshield switch it probably lowers the amps enough to effect the RPM of the pump... hence the lower pitch. I assume this whine occurs when the bike is running? If it occurs when the key is on but the engine isn't running then it's not the fuel pump. You should hear a slight whine or even a small squeak when you first turn on your key coming from under the tank. That is the fuel pump priming and the noise is similar and normal... although you shouldn't hear ANY squeaking after the bike is started. Whine is OK, squeak is bad! I hear whining on my R1 and Harley.

I would just keep an ear out for any changes in the sound when the bike is idle. If it gets worse or you start to hear squeaks - change the pump.

I would have to say fuel pump. When you hit your windshield switch it probably lowers the amps enough to effect the RPM of the pump... hence the lower pitch. I assume this whine occurs when the bike is running? If it occurs when the key is on but the engine isn't running then it's not the fuel pump. You should hear a slight whine or even a small squeak when you first turn on your key coming from under the tank. That is the fuel pump priming and the noise is similar and normal... although you shouldn't hear ANY squeaking after the bike is started. Whine is OK, squeak is bad! I hear whining on my R1 and Harley.
I would just keep an ear out for any changes in the sound when the bike is idle. If it gets worse or you start to hear squeaks - change the pump.
Thanks. Yes, I hear it only when the bike is running, cold or hot; I've not noticed it when the key is on but bike is off (i.e. at startup), other than the usual startup whine. No squeaks at any time...just the high-pitched whine.

So when you say "whine is ok [after bike is started]"...does that mean the electronic whine I'm hearing (audible enough to hear over the sound of the engine, though just slightly) is normal? This is my first FJR ('16A), and I've only managed to put around 1500 miles on it since buying it in April (been an unusually busy summer, unfortunately), so I'm still getting used to the bike's quirks. This issue did seem unusual enough and the whine noticably audible and different enough, though, that I thought I'd better have it looked at it by the dealer before the one-year warranty is over. Would be disappointed if that's considered normal, but if it is, I guess may need to go in with that in mind.

I had an old Ducati and the whine at idle was quite common. Took about another 10K miles before that whine turned into a small squeak. Took about 2 hours to change the pump - not a big deal. If your bike is still under warranty then by all means take it in and at the very least have them listen to it.

I'd open the filler cap, start the bike and listen. Should be much more noticeable if the pump is the noise (sounds like it)

The start up pressurization "noise" is normal.

My old 04 NEVER made a fuel pump noise you could hear over the engine.

My 07 FZ6 (similar pump) is also very quiet...

If you can compare to another FJR before you go to the shop would be good..

You KNOW, they'll tell you it's normal....

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hear my fuel pump build pressure then shut down. I start the bike and I do not hear any high pitch whine while the bike is running, I would say the sound is not normal operation. I don't hear my fuel pump while the bike is running either. May be alternator if it's that loud.

Thanks. Yes, I hear it only when the bike is running, cold or hot; I've not noticed it when the key is on but bike is off (i.e. at startup), other than the usual startup whine. No squeaks at any time...just the high-pitched whine.

So when you say "whine is ok [after bike is started]"...does that mean the electronic whine I'm hearing (audible enough to hear over the sound of the engine, though just slightly) is normal? This is my first FJR ('16A), and I've only managed to put around 1500 miles on it since buying it in April (been an unusually busy summer, unfortunately), so I'm still getting used to the bike's quirks. This issue did seem unusual enough and the whine noticably audible and different enough, though, that I thought I'd better have it looked at it by the dealer before the one-year warranty is over. Would be disappointed if that's considered normal, but if it is, I guess may need to go in with that in mind.
I also have a 2016 ES, and new to FJRs. When I turn on the ignition I hear a bunch of clicking and then a whining sound that persists. Once I start the engine I cannot hear it anymore, probably due to the engine sound...I was also wondering about the whining though.

Since I live in Seattle and work in Redmond, it could be fun to meet and compare "noises" one day...just let me know. We could meet during lunch breaks etc. if needed.

...I also have a 2016 ES, and new to FJRs. When I turn on the ignition I hear a bunch of clicking and then a whining sound that persists. Once I start the engine I cannot hear it anymore, probably due to the engine sound...I was also wondering about the whining though. Since I live in Seattle and work in Redmond, it could be fun to meet and compare "noises" one day...just let me know. We could meet during lunch breaks etc. if needed.
They all do it. It sounds to me like an electronic inverter, probably providing 5 volts to all the electronics.