High Resonance Vibration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Reaction score
I have a new 07 and have been working through all of the same issues that I have been reading about in the forum. One I haven't read about is high resonance vibration I am feeling through the saddle. This is pretty much as I run up through the gears pushing it to the 5 to 6k range. After I settle into 5th don't really feel the vibration. If I am in traffic cruising in 3rd or 4th I definitely feel the vibration in my butt and upper thighs. Is this normal or am I being to critical of the machine. Also on another subject, I put the peg modification on which lowers and moves the peg forward. Ergo feels good but I pushed the bike through some twisties today and I scraped the pegs hard, which was a little scarey. I'm thinking going back to the stock setup.

First thing to check: Re-torque the motor mount bolts. Next: TBS. As for pegs: Set your suspension. If you are not sure how to do that, Sport Rider had a pretty good article a few years ago. Google it, as it's still out 'there'.

I would do TWN's suggestions only after 12-1500 miles or so. Given that, I had the seat compartment over-stuffed once and felt more vibes than usual.

Set your sag properly now and then motor mounts when things get settled in, miles = smoothness.

Given that one of my motor mount bolts was severely under torqued shortly after delivery, I wouldn't wait that long... But, I'm kinda silly that way. ;)

TWN's - With the apparent issues seen with stripped threads on both motor mounts and oil pans, do you feel the current factory torque spec's are good/safe? I know my slider install had a lot of pucker factor. :huh:

Regards,

B

TWN's - With the apparent issues seen with stripped threads on both motor mounts and oil pans, do you feel the current factory torque spec's are good/safe? I know my slider install had a lot of pucker factor. :huh:
Regards,

B
Radman has the best advice regarding torque: Go 10% under the factory spec. Makes sense given that the torques are set for new bolts and threads, not reused, if I understand his thinking correctly. In my case, I had a left side MM bolt that was, at best, hand tight causing vibration. As to the drain bolt? The Yammy spec is fucked, IMO. Tighten just a wee past snug after you feel the washer crush. Oil filter should be snugged by hand. Last time I had the dealer do it, I had to remove the filter by jamming a screw driver through it to get leverage and the DB damn near needed the breaker bar! Use your common sense - you'll be fine.

All right, here is the latest. Put the sliders on and torqued to 29 lbs. Added grip puppies. Added throttlemeister. Added the G2 and took al the slack out of the cable. I have to tell you it its really getting better. Vibration is almost not an issue but the right hand pain is still there. Throttle smoothness is there. Next is the seat and I am doing a mod without going to a custom. If it works I will let everyone know what I did. If it doesen't, I will let you know what custom seat I bought. Also, I did the suspension tuning, more stiff, and that may have had some effect. All I can say is this forum has a lot of good ideas and some don't really cost any/much money, so I going to take it one step at a time and see what works. Thanks eveyone for all the great information.

I forgot which bike magazine, they mention that the 06, 07 FJR is more buzzy around 4500-5500 rpm.

If I am not mistaken, all 4 inline engines are buzzy around 4000-5000 rpm.

I'd ride another FJR or have someone ride yours to get some kind of idea of whether what you're experiencing is normal or not. Inline-fours, including the FJR, and especially big inline-fours, do tend to have resonant periods of vibration and the FJR seems to have one around 5K as you're noting. Some don't even notice it, some can't stand it - it all has to do with your personal tolerance for this high-frequency vibration.

Individual bikes do vary some and most smooth out some with miles. And a careful TB sync will often help. Motor mounts are something to check, but it's more likely your bike is normal, or perhaps needs a TB sync.

An aftermarket seat may aggravate the problem, especially if the foam is stiffer than stock.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator: