highway 266 north of Las vegas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueman

blueman
Reaction score
Planning on riding to Lake Tahoe this summer from Lake Havasu City Arizona riding north though Las Vegas. Highway 266 running west off of 95 south of Tonapah I have not been on before. I plan on traveling that route then over to california 120 to 395 north to Tahoe. Any feadback on traveling on highway 266 in Nevada.

Planning on riding to Lake Tahoe this summer from Lake Havasu City Arizona riding north though Las Vegas. Highway 266 .....I have not been on before. I plan on traveling that route then over to california 120 to 395 north to Tahoe. Any feadback on traveling on highway 266 in Nevada.
Sorry, I can't help you very much (today)....I rode that exact route 40 years ago this month on a '66 Matchless 650 (G12-CSR) on a 3 month, 10 K mile ride from N. Carolina to CA. The road was paved back then (that's a good sign), relatively devoid of any traffic, had some open-range cattle on it, and crossed a pass where you get a sight of the imposing Sierra Nevadas -- not a problem for you since your going to Tahoe; but, looked pretty daunting to me -- then. Especially since the Matchbox had just then decided to miss a little under load -- problem traced to a carbon track in one of the oem Champion spark plug caps.

You're pretty much on-your-own anywhere in Nevada -- and someplaces, even more-so.....!

Beautiful, lonesome ride tho -- if memory serves...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning on riding to Lake Tahoe this summer from Lake Havasu City Arizona riding north though Las Vegas. Highway 266 running west off of 95 south of Tonapah I have not been on before. I plan on traveling that route then over to california 120 to 395 north to Tahoe. Any feadback on traveling on highway 266 in Nevada.
you'll enjoy that route. 266 is nothing over exciting ..but you'll have more fun when you get up to Benton. we refer to that as Benton crossing ...typically going east-west or vice versa ..you'll be coming from the south. 120 to 395 is kinda cool. You have a lot of options and fun to see someone exploring some of the great "under used" roads of nevada/CA. Have fun ....and as you get your route pinned down I'd be curious to see it. .....renojohn

you'll enjoy that route. 266 is nothing over exciting ..but you'll have more fun when you get up to Benton. we refer to that as Benton crossing ...typically going east-west or vice versa ..you'll be coming from the south. 120 to 395 is kinda cool. You have a lot of options and fun to see someone exploring some of the great "under used" roads of nevada/CA. Have fun ....and as you get your route pinned down I'd be curious to see it. .....renojohn
If you take CA 168 instead of heading towards Dyer, you can ride over Westgaard Pass. That's a nice road. Just make sure you stay on 6 in Bishop so you can do the 120 segment between Benton and Lee Vining. The road past Benton Hot Springs is lots of fun, hoop de doo's and everything. No traffic. Back on 395, don't forget to stop at the Whoa Nelly Deli, right after you make the turn up 120 towards Yosemite. It's a gas station with darn good food.