Highway Pegs and Plates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Wild Bill highway pegs are a good economical farkle. The plates are well made and fit really well. Many here have sent them to Garauld here on the forum and had them powdercoated to match, but mine are the color they came in and are not obnoxious. I had a tipover break one of the pegs and am going to buy a little better peg when I replace it. Others here have added ofsets and Kuryaken (sp) pegs. A search should bring some of those options up. I thinks you can find Old Bill in the vendor section, Good luck.

I just ordered a set from ol bill, it will be nice to have a second foot location. My knees start acheing after a couple hours and it will be nice to be able to move them when Im not in the twisties. about a hundred bucks for everything you need to get-r-done.

hello all.

I've looked through the forum and still cant get any really good answers......so.....

What do yall think about the highway pegs avaliable for the FJR? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Do they make riding any distance more comfortable? Pegs helped alot on the P.O.S. Harley I once rode. I realize however that it's a cruiser vs. a super sport tourer........

thanks

Well, ultimately it's like any other comfort mod. It depends on the rider. For me, the one thing that absolutely had to change to do distance riding was the saddle. Some like the stock seat. For some, it's bar risers, but I've tried 'em and like the bike better without them.

Regarding the pegs, I'm like blrfjr above. I'm a lot happier, especially on a long slab run, if I can move my legs to a different position once in a while. Wild Bill's stuff also gets your legs out from behind the fairing for awhile which is a nice way to cool off on a hot day. I wouldn't call them a must have (like the saddle for me), but I'm very glad I have them.

By the way, don't expect them to get your legs way out front like a cruiser's highway pegs. It's a more subtle change.

Here's what Wild Bill's plates look like with the Kuryakin offsets and pegs attached on a Gen I. Safety warning -- if you go with those offsets, do NOT point them down. They scrape way too easy and they don't give. Gave myself a real pucker moment when I tried that.

100_0049.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, ultimately it's like any other comfort mod. It depends on the rider. For me, the one thing that absolutely had to change to do distance riding was the saddle. Some like the stock seat. For some, it's bar risers, but I've tried 'em and like the bike better without them.

Regarding the pegs, I'm like blrfjr above. I'm a lot happier, especially on a long slab run, if I can move my legs to a different position once in a while. Wild Bill's stuff also gets your legs out from behind the fairing for awhile which is a nice way to cool off on a hot day. I wouldn't call them a must have (like the saddle for me), but I'm very glad I have them.

By the way, don't expect them to get your legs way out front like a cruiser's highway pegs. It's a more subtle change.

Here's what Wild Bill's plates look like with the Kuryakin offsets and pegs attached on a Gen I. Safety warning -- if you go with those offsets, do NOT point them down. They scrape way too easy and they don't give. Gave myself a real pucker moment when I tried that.

100_0049.jpg
I have the same setup as squeezer on a Gen II. Worthwhile mod, but only if you ride long distances on a regular basis. With the Wild Bill brackets, and the Kuryakyn offsets and pegs the price comes in around $175.

I went with the motorcyclelarry.com pegs. They go on easy and do provide a nice change of pace on a long ride.

My setup is also just like the one shown above. I bought the Kuryakin extenders and chrome-y, Harley-looking footpegs from a forum guy--I'd have hated to pay their way-high prices new. When I got my second FJR, these were among the first things I put on. (First set got a little bent up, along with the first bike.) I started with the Wild Bill plates and pegs, but at least on my Gen I the sharp edge of the fairing rubbing on my calf got annoying real fast, and I could only kind of catch the outer end of the pegs with my foot. They didn't feel like they were very secure on the pegs and felt like they'd slide off if I wasn't careful.

I don't agree with the comment that they're only valuable on long rides, but maybe my knees are older than Road Runner's. I like to be able to put one leg forward at a time, and switch pretty often. It really helps keep my legs from tightening up and adds a lot of comfort. I also appreciate the cooling of getting my legs out into the wind when it's hot, in fact I don't use them much at all if it's cold; damn wind wants to blow up my legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello all.

I've looked through the forum and still cant get any really good answers......so.....

What do yall think about the highway pegs avaliable for the FJR? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Do they make riding any distance more comfortable? Pegs helped alot on the P.O.S. Harley I once rode. I realize however that it's a cruiser vs. a super sport tourer........

thanks
Highway pegs make a ride of any length more comfortable.