Highway Pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I put Wild Bill pegs on my '05 and they were OK. Got to say, just OK. The sharp edge of the fairing ran into my ankle when I used them, had to put the sole of my foot on the little tip at the end and kind of balance them there. They were in a good location for me, however, and I'd do them again. But. Has anybody had luck with another brand and preferred it to the W.B.s or just liked it a lot?

I know you can use W.B. brackets and put a longer peg on there--Kuryakin for example. How's that work? any other ideas? By the way, replaced the '05 with another '05, so has to fit the Gen I. Thanks, O wise forum.

I put Wild Bill pegs on my '05 and they were OK. Got to say, just OK. The sharp edge of the fairing ran into my ankle when I used them, had to put the sole of my foot on the little tip at the end and kind of balance them there. They were in a good location for me, however, and I'd do them again. But. Has anybody had luck with another brand and preferred it to the W.B.s or just liked it a lot?
I know you can use W.B. brackets and put a longer peg on there--Kuryakin for example. How's that work? any other ideas? By the way, replaced the '05 with another '05, so has to fit the Gen I. Thanks, O wise forum.
I bought Wild Bill mounts and Kurykan pegs that I saw recommend put never put them on my '07. Don't know if Wild Bill's are the same. If you're interested in them let me know. I'm in Foster City/San Mateo,

Roy

Mike I put some Kuryakyn 1.5" off-sets with a pair of Kuryakyn Iso-Pegs and powder coated them and the WildBill mounting plates gloss black. It did help somewhat but your right, the edge of the side panels do still cause some discomfort where they hit the inner thigh/calve area. I've yet to find anything better but IMO I couldn't see riding without the extra place to help streach out. And on any ride especially long distance they are still good. Also personally I think anything sticking out further could be hazardous even folded up. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the offsets from a pair of the frame mount Harley D higway pegs..the offsets are 3 1/4". The pegs are HD as well (the round, black ones they use stock) and are 4.5". Fully extended I get 7 3/4" from the Wild Bill mounting plate. I had to drill the mounting plate out for a 1/2" hole (from 3/8") to get them to fit.

I've stuffed some plastic pipe with an end cap into my T-Rex front frame sliders before, works for me and cheap. I allow 3-4" outside the slider for my foot. Slider Id is 0.9", which allows a very close fit from a 3/4" CPVC domestic water plumbing. Glue on a plastic plumbing cap, paint black with Krylon Fusion paint, and insert with an outboard 1/4" bead of black RTV to hold and allow later release.

Gary in Fairbanks

I've stuffed some plastic pipe with an end cap into my T-Rex front frame sliders before, works for me and cheap. I allow 3-4" outside the slider for my foot. Slider Id is 0.9", which allows a very close fit from a 3/4" CPVC domestic water plumbing. Glue on a plastic plumbing cap, paint black with Krylon Fusion paint, and insert with an outboard 1/4" bead of black RTV to hold and allow later release.

Gary in Fairbanks
Gary, you're my kinda guy. Tight. Back in the 60's I was the first person I know who lashed a wire milk crate to the ass end of his bike for a rack. Hey, it worked. I think I've got a line on some peg extenders for a Wild Bill mount, but I might just stick a some pvc pipe into my sliders too for a second alternate foot position, at least for a long trip, like up to CFR this summer. I'll probably remove them when Mad Mike's around. Thanks for the idea.

I think I've got a line on some peg extenders for a Wild Bill mount, but I might just stick a some pvc pipe into my sliders too for a second alternate foot position, at least for a long trip, like up to CFR this summer. I'll probably remove them when Mad Mike's around. Thanks for the idea.
Yew mite wanna git a piller fer yer bum, tew.

Enna cup houlder, enna swade cover fer yer seet, enna Yammi-haw mudflap fer the back fin-der en summa them differnt lites.

Ride more horses, SacramentoMike... after awhile yer legs will be bowlegged enough you won't notice the fairing... just sayin'... :)

Gary, you're my kinda guy. Tight.
Get a room.

Good one! Well, I have no experience in those matters and am not looking for any bung fitting experiments. If you had been to some of the places I've taken a dump out in the woods with clouds of our Alaskan mosquitoes, you'd know I was real tight. And quick. Nothing like sitting on a honey bucket with a raincoat over you for bug protection to build character on a hot sunny day.

But I am thrifty, and the water pipe forward pegs do work and I've never had one snap off the slider at about 3" long. Maybe putting a wood dowel inside would make them indestructible.

Bzzzzzzz.

Gary in Fairbanks

I think I've got a line on some peg extenders for a Wild Bill mount, but I might just stick a some pvc pipe into my sliders too for a second alternate foot position, at least for a long trip, like up to CFR this summer. I'll probably remove them when Mad Mike's around. Thanks for the idea.

Enna cup houlder, enna swade cover fer yer seet, enna Yammi-haw mudflap fer the back fin-der en summa them differnt lites.

. . . said the guy who bought a sheepskin car wash mitt and split it down the seam and used it for a seat pad. :lol:

. . . said the guy who bought a sheepskin car wash mitt and split it down the seam and used it for a seat pad. :lol:
Wellll, on the 6th day of a trip riding a C-10 Connie with an OEM seat, you'd have done the same thing.

be wary of adding extra length to anything that mounts to those engine covers. There have been those that have low sided because the extra length that those kuryakin extention things provide, levered them off the ground & then those that have leaked oil because the actual bracket got torqued in a spill. Personally, I took them completely off of my bike because of leaking oil from torqued cover when I dropped my bike. I'd be seriously wary of ever having those bad ideas on the bike at all... but that's just me.

I stand or hang my legs when I need to stretch.

here's the answer to SacramentoMike's question/issue ---

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...735&hl=8025

i patterned mine exactly like dragonchef, up to and including sending the parts to Gary for powdercoating, and am very pleased with the setup. it gives plenty of flexibility for various foot positions on extended rides. often i ride with only one foot forward and alternate between one or the other forward. this keeps the shins off the fairing and is just another combination available. sometimes i place both feet forward and just catch the wide edge of the ample Kuryakyn peg. the individual rubber pads are not only comfortable but are not in a fixed position, so that the slight movement in place allows for added comfort. it's also very easy to flip the pegs into the folded up position on the fly, using the edge of your foot of course. :buba:

one reminder, use locktite on both the bracket mounting bolts and the peg bolts!

for those that have Wild Bill brackets and want to use the larger Kuryakyn pegs, you must enlarge the peg hole from 3/8" to 1/2". PM me with any questions.

Gary in Fairbanks
I liked your idea Gary!

I used the plastic pipe and wrapped it with one wrap of some "Gorilla Glue" brand black duct tape to get a tight fit in my Delrin sliders. I also sprayed the caps with a Silver (Hammered Finish) paint specific for plastic. Then I wrapped the exposed pipe between the cap and slider with more of the black Gorilla tape until it was almost the diameter of the cap. To secure the pipe, I got a couple of metric allen set screws. I think they were 8mm with a 1.25 pitch. It called for a 17/64 drill prior to tapping, which I planned on doing, but I just drilled them and found that the set screws started easily and threaded right in. They look pretty good and are plenty sturdy for their intended purpose. Already had the pipe, the caps, the paint and tape. I am into them about $2 for the stainless set screws. I only install them if I am going for a longer ride and they don't take up much room in my tank bag.

Thanks for the idea....they will come in handy on the 1700 mile trip we are taking through Utah, Arizona and Colorado later next week.

A side benefit to the pegs..... when I put my feet up on them, my wife likes to move her feet forward onto my pegs. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: