Hit a snag on fork fluid change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timk

timk
Reaction score
I am using Mike Carpenters notes and got as far as I removed the fork cap and got to the nut to be removed to get to the spacer removal etc. The nut to be removed has about 3/4 of a inch thread showing. I can't figure what to hold to get the nut off, and it has some torque on it. It's just spinning inside the spacer. Thanks in advance.

The nut usually gets jammed at the bottom of the threads. You can put the cap back on and that will allow you to break the nut free, then remove the cap again and hopefully then you'll be able to spin the nut off. The other thing you can do is install a pair of metric nuts on the top of the threaded rod, jammed into each other.

The other thing that will cause the lock nut to be difficult to remove is if there is a large spring preload bearing against it. You can try pushing down on the spacer (and spring) to relieve some of that pressure.

If I was forced to grab the damper rod to get the nut and cap off I would be sure to use soft jaws in the pliers (don't score the rod) and grab the rod as high up as possible away from where the rod enters the cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing that will cause the lock nut to be difficult to remove is if there is a large spring preload bearing against it.
lol.gif
lol.gif

And maybe wear eye protection.
tonguesmiley.gif

Fred gave some very good ideas. One I would add is to try a pneumatic impact gun.
I think that is the wrong fastener. The air gun is particularly helpful for the bottom bolt. Unless I have misunderstood what he is saying, it is the nut just under the cap by the tube spacer. No advantage to an air gun there.

This nut?

ForkCap_zpsb7670f21.jpg

I explained this whole process as carefully as I could here (CLICKY) when I rebuilt my front forks on my Gen 1. Just click on my link above and read through my thread, looking closely at the pictures I posted. It will guide you through every single step. I have an 05 just like yours. There was a lot of great advice posted for my benefit in that same thread as well. My thanks to this forum for all their patience with my questions and their expert advice. I hope that some of the pictures I took and the explanations I gave will be of some help.

Gary

darksider #44

Yup, Gary did a great job of documenting the fork tear down.

He opted to use two paint stirrer sticks to protect the threads and then some pliers to hold the shaft. That will work too. It doesn't take that much counter torque to get the nut off once you break it loose and get the spring preload off of it. Just be very careful not to bugger those threads.

Thanks to all.I don't know how I found 2 nuts with the correct thread pitch but I did. Must be a reason for me NEVER throwing a metric bolt or nut.