HJC and Shoei

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi all

I currently use a HJC helmet which i think is a great fitting for my head shape/size etc.I have also read alot of reviews on the Shoei Qwest helmet which by all accounts is a great helmet for touring As we do not have a Shoei dealer in town i was after advice on the helmet fitting compared to the Shoei, in other words would it be safe to just order one and expect the fitting to be fine.

Gazza

I may be new to the forums here, but definitely not new to buying helmets. I have broken and replaced more than I care to admit. Unfortunately I have had some practice buying new ones. My advice would be to NEVER buy a helmet without putting it on your head, unless it is exactly what you have owned and lked before. Do your very best to find a place that sells a wide variety of brands, and has lots of them on hand. Try on as many as you have patience for. Once you find the one that fits, you'll know it. (I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know here)

So, in my opinion, No. It's more likely that you'll end up with a helmet that doesn't fit well if you order one without trying it on.

Joe

I just went to Cycle Gear yesterday and tried on the Shoei Quest and HJC Symax II. I own a Symax I,Shoei RF1000 and Scorpion EVO 100 now, so maybe I can help, although comparing a modular to a full-face fixed is not ideal. The Quest is by far the winner in this comparison in every respect unless the modular advantage of lifting the lower helmet up is the deciding issue or an internal tinted visor.

Quest is lighter, the shape worked much better, and I didn't feel the Symax II fit anywhere near the same as my Symax I...more of a round than oval fit. Quest is almost indistinguishable from RF1100 in fit and stability. Ventilation is a bit different but without putting it on the road, I can't really judge it. I didn't get to try these helmets on the bike, and test for quietness, but you can pretty well guess which one would win by the aerodynamics and size. I was very impressed with the Quest considering the price difference from the RF1100. I am very tempted to make that the next helmet, and in a side-by-side fitting, for me, the HJC was not in the running.

Helmet fitting is extremely important and I would suggest going to a retailer that has a wide selection to try on, even if it means having to drive a bit of a ways away (your head will thank you later). Many people who buy helmets online sight unseen often end up very disappointed. Although some online retailers do try to describe the head shape (i.e. more oval, round, etc.) those designations can be arbitrary. The same goes for helmet sizing too. Just because a helmet matches a circumference measurement doesn't mean it's going to fit. I sell motorcycle helmets for a living and I often say that it's not just the circumference of the helmet that matters, it's also where that circumference goes.

Nothing replaces a helmet fitting session at a physical store. The only time I would ever purchase a helmet online is if it's an EXACT replacement for a helmet I currently own. Sometimes the good deals are hard to pass up. :)

As for quality and comfort (and this is strictly my opinion), I'm sticking with Shoei. HJC helmets are a great value for a price and have many features that the premium helmets have. But for fit and finish, weight, aerodynamics, and overall quality the Shoei wins. It's hard to beat a hand-made Japanese helmet that uses a 100% polycarbonate plastic shield. Ventilation on the Shoei helmets is well placed and far superior to the other helmets I've tried.

Many customers I've fitted with HJC helmets also fit into Shoei helmets well (the head shape is pretty close) and it usually comes down to how much money they want to spend. Of course you have to find the one that's the best for you, and the best way to start is to physically put one on your head and see what you think. Good luck!

As mentioned, unless you've had a particular helmet model on your head, it can be difficult. I currently have a RF-1000. All my previous RF Shoei's have been XL and fit fine. Seems they changed the sizing on the 1000 and I dropped down to a L. I tried on the RF-1100 at the IMS show in January. Tried both the L and the XL and neither of them fit well or felt like my old Shoei's. I talked to the rep and he said that Shoei changed the RF to a more elongated shape versus a squarer shape. I'm a bit of a blockhead and the squarer shape is what I need. He also said the Qwest has the squarer shape. Tried one on and it fit nicely. I think I'll be opting for a Qwest versus an RF for my next lid. The Qwest has gotten some good reviews, as well.

So buyer beware. Try it on, somewhere, before you buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently own an HJC Symax II and the Shoei RF1000. The finish on the Shoei is superior, but not a big deal to me. As a prior poster mentioned, the Symax II fit is a bit different - a little snugger on me than my former HJC Symax I. I think the Shoei is noisier than the HJC. I like the tinted visor on the HJC. I have purchased helmets without trying them on if I am sure about my size. I wear a M in Shoei and M in HJC so, I am confident if I buy online (as I did for the symax II closeout), that it will fit. That's the biggie - the fit.

I think you can be reasonably confident that whatever size you wear in HJC will be OK from Shoei.

I think the Qwest looks and sounds like a great helmet (assuming fit). The only negative I found in my research a few months back was no Pinlock shield for it yet. I would assume they will have one for it by next winter. <BR><BR>Really wish Shoei would go with the Pinlock out of the box.

I think the Qwest looks and sounds like a great helmet (assuming fit). The only negative I found in my research a few months back was no Pinlock shield for it yet. I would assume they will have one for it by next winter. <BR><BR>Really wish Shoei would go with the Pinlock out of the box.
The Shoei Quest uses the same shield as the RF-1100, model CW-1. There is a Pinlock ready CW-1 shield available. Shoei never included the Pinlock shield with the standard helmet, but it's an accessory that's definitely worth it.

On the other hand, the HJC CL-16 comes with a Pinlock-ready shield and the Pinlock lens already in the box. To make the deal sweeter, it's a 2010 Snell rated helmet that's under $150. Not a bad deal considering the Pinlock shield/lens combo will already set you back $60.

After trying on the Quest, I felt that its fit was exactly like the RF-1000 (which is what I own right now). The RF-1100 is just a tad bit roomier in the forehead, enough to be noticeable but not enough to make a severe difference.

The Shoei Quest uses the same shield as the RF-1100, model CW-1. There is a Pinlock ready CW-1 shield available. Shoei never included the Pinlock shield with the standard helmet, but it's an accessory that's definitely worth it. I agree though, I wish they did! :)

On the other hand, the HJC CL-16 comes with a Pinlock-ready shield and the Pinlock lens already in the box. To make the deal sweeter, it's a 2010 Snell rated helmet that's under $150. Not a bad deal considering the Pinlock shield/lens combo will already set you back $60.

To beat on this dead horse just a little more, and because I really see little point in staying "on" any given topic very long, I'll continue with this Pinlock tangent for one more post. I just bought a Pinlock-ready CW-1 faceshield (they also sell the same item with the same designation that's not Pinlock-ready, just to be confusing) and the Pinlock insert, (ALSO designated "CW-1") for my Shoei Multitec.

Realistically, barring a good hard head-first crash, your helmet will outlast any number of faceshields. So there's not much point in even including the cost of the faceshield itself in the equation if you're thinking of going to a Pinlock system. Unless, I suppose, you live someplace where it's always cold and you'll use nothing but the Pinlock year-round. That's definitely not the case here in the Sacramento Valley. So the insert is maybe 30 bucks. Leave the insert on the Pinlock faceshield and have a separate "plain" faceshield and you can switch back and forth as needed. The Shoei system, at least, makes this very simple.

Useful little trick: I put my spare faceshield in an old boot sock and keep it in my saddlebag. Flexible enough it conforms to the shape of any container, laid along an outside edge. The sock prevents scratching, and easily exchange between helmet and sock. I DO love the Pinlock!

Im going for the Schuberth this year. I like the quiet of it, not the price but hey what can ya do... I love my Shoei its quality is obvious.

I sell motorcycle helmets for a living and I often say that it's not just the circumference of the helmet that matters, it's also where that circumference goes.

Nothing replaces a helmet fitting session at a physical store. The only time I would ever purchase a helmet online is if it's an EXACT replacement for a helmet I currently own. Sometimes the good deals are hard to pass up. :)
What has been your experience with helmets loosening up a bit after wearing in comparison to when new out of the box? Any specific experience with this issue and the Quest? Should the Quest be sized by removing the cheek pads to determine fit around the head first?

I sell motorcycle helmets for a living and I often say that it's not just the circumference of the helmet that matters, it's also where that circumference goes.

What has been your experience with helmets loosening up a bit after wearing in comparison to when new out of the box? Any specific experience with this issue and the Quest? Should the Quest be sized by removing the cheek pads to determine fit around the head first?
My rule of thumb is that a new helmet will break in about 1/4-1/2 size overall, enough to be noticeable but still conform snugly to the head. I've found that some cheaper helmets can break in up to one entire size over a long period of time due to cheaper padding. The head area breaks in the least so a snug all-around fit when new is important. Check for areas of sharp pressure in the forehead, temple, and back of the head because that can mean that the helmet is either too small or not the right head shape for you. If it already feels relaxed and "broken in" when new, you've bought it one size (or possibly more) too big.

Removing the cheek pads to determine head fit is a good idea and will help determine the proper size especially if you're borderline sizes because it eliminates the bias of the tightness around the face. This method works with any helmet and I would recommend doing that. Once you've determined that the head size is right I also recommend wearing the brand new helmet for about half an hour with cheekpads in to make sure it's a good fit - watching TV with it on usually works.

Many people are concerned about the snugness in the cheeks for the Shoei and often ask to change the cheekpads at the time of purchase. I usually recommend that they wear the helmet for a while, sweat in it, and wait for them to break in before asking for thinner cheekpads. From personal experience I have found that the cheekpads new will break down to the next size (if not more). In my case, the stock cheekpads (35mm) on my Shoei RF1000 broke down so quickly that I replaced them with 37mm cheekpads so that they always are snug to the face.