HJC Carbon Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of talk on helmets out there so I thought I would throw this one out there... Does anyone have any experience with this one??? I bet its not very heavy...

Here is the link to it: HJC AC-12 Carbon Helmet

Seems to me that at $319 its a pretty good mid priced helmet. Any thoughts????

I'm seriously considering one also. I've picked up one but not in my size & compared it to my Arai for weight. Somewhat lighter. The shield mechanism is easier to change than Arai's. Only way to know for sure is to ride with one on the noggin. I like Arai's for their ability to have different thickness check pads which greatly affect how noisy the lid is. 08 catalogs with color choices are just coming out now. Hope this comparo helps.

HJC AC-12, Medium wt. = 1424 grams = 50.2 ounces

For comparison, a light helmet like the Shoei RF-1000, Medium = 53 ounces

So, it appears the carbon fiber is not a gimmick on this helmet.

Visit here.

Best helmet reviews on the net:

Helmet Harbor

"Noise levels are similar to most RACE helmets" is the only comment that concerns me.

Race helmets aren't known for being quiet.

The RF-1000 review is quit a bit more in depth.

RF1000

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one and I do like it, but it is not as quiet as some other helmets out there. It also fit a bit tight when I first got it, and the first ride or two gave me a headache, but quickly form fit to my head after about 5 rides. I was using a HJC AC-11 Fiberglass & kevlar helmet previously, which was a bit heavier, but not uncomfortable when new. The AC-12 is much easier to switch faceshields on too.

I have had 2 of these helmets. I originally purchased a large and after a break in period it became to loose. I sold it and re-purchased a medium. The helmet looks great & is very light. I agree the helmet is a little noisy but I don't have anything to compare it to. I frequently ride with ear plug in to reduce noise. Overall I like this helmet.

I typically replace my lids every 12-18 months, mainly because of hours use and lots of UV exposure in my area. Last year I switched from the HJC AC-11 to the AC-12. It's very light, reasonably comfortable and reasonably quiet IMO. I never wear ear plugs but do run CB shields with flips.

The price of $319 seems stiff to me, but I would never purchase a carbon or dark colored helmet because of the extreme heat in summer. I'm always looking for a white or silver pattern. Recently picked up two(2) AC-12 in a "last year's" pattern for $350 delivered. Shop around. You can find a real bargain on the AC-12 if you are willing to compromise a bit on the paint pattern.

The shields are extremely easy to change as compared to any other brand or model I've owned. I also recently purchased the new Gradient Tint in dark smoke. It's not nearly as dark up top as the regular dark smoke. Don't expect the gradient tint to be a true replacement for a full-blown dark smoke summer daylight shield. But so far I'm sticking with just one gradient shield. Time will tell if I have to go back to carrying two shields.

I've never hit the pavement with an HJC. Have with a Bell many years ago. But in recent years I have slammed some mighty hard-packed clay, other bikes and the occassional tree with HJC MX helmets. Never fractured one HJC helmet, despite being knocked out several times. They (HJC) has proven their quality enough to me that I see zero need to explore another brand.

Just my $.02

Forgot to add... I currently own seven(7) HJC helmets. Two AC-11s that matched the 05 colors. Two brand new AC-12s in a silver/black pattern for the 07. One AC-12 that I repainted all silver. And two MX in the Imperial pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like HJC to provide and Aria XD like helmet - I am sure they could do better for less money. Like Jeff, I have 5,6? HJC lids and like the fit, price, and DOT approval.

I don't have the carbon, but I have an AC-12, and I like it. Very comfortable, removable liner for easy cleaning, and not heavy even in the regular material. I can't compare noisy, because it's the only lid I've worn on my Feejer. I briefly wore a 15-year old Shoei RF-200, but not for long, and not on the highway.

It worked for me very well in my lowside last October, faceplanted pretty good, no headache or nuthin'. Got another one with the insurance money.