Holeshot cans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, youtube has been a B***h tonight for some reason and the vid might still be processing for a bit, but here is the link

Sound might be a bit low. I'm having some issues with the audio codec when compressing for some reason and I'm not to sure how much youtubes conversion will alter it (if at all)

I got the Holeshots and I am happy with the tone/loudness.Now I am experimenting with Power Commander maps to get the ideal "feel".Unfortunately I have no laptop so I have to lug my desktop out to the garage every time I make a change.The only one I have that is written for aftermarket cans is a Muzzy map.Hopefully I can find something else to try as I'm not convinced it's just right.Any suggestions out there among the experienced?

I am interested in what difference the PCIII makes to the bike after installing the Holeshot slip-ons. What problems did you perceive that required sorting out by the PCIII. Is the bike 'rideable' without the PCIII, or are they a must have when introducing a slip-on can?

I feel like I lost a bit of initial low end power,with a little flat spot also around 4000 RPM.I have not tried with the stock programming though.I am probably getting a tad nitpicky but that is my nature.Most people will tell you cans alone will not necessitate going with a Power Commander.

Changing cans makes no difference to the bike, no changes needed.

The Oxygen Sensor makes the small if any change that is needed.

If you put on a Power Commander then you have to change the map, with either stock or after market cans.

Reason is that fitting a Power Commander requires that the Oxygen Sensor be disconnected.

If you put a header system on, again the sensor is removed.

Whether you have slipons or not, the bike would stll benefit from a Power Commander. The map that comes with a Power Commander is for a stock motorcycle and corrects certain lean spots necessary to pass emissions (particularly around 4000 rpm). With slipons sometimes it makes no difference, sometimes it impoves or worsens the stock fuel curve.

I just downloaded and enabled the "accelerator pump" and that seems to help a lot.I'm getting pretty used to moving the 'puter around so my cheap ass probably won't get a laptop anytime soon.I still want to try the Holeshot map at some point,but the Muzzy map works nicely for now.

For me 12 bucks is cheap compared to dropping your computer on the way out to the garage. ;)

Unfortunately it's much more of a hassle to remove the Power Commander.To unhook from the bike involves tipping the gas tank and "unrouting" the cable.It would be awesome if I could just run the Power Commander down to the 'puter...Someday my laptop will arrive.

I got lucky, the previous owner routed the power commander to where the toolkit used to be. Makes accessing it a breeze.

Last edited: