Holeshot header install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahlr

Reaction score
I got the DW Holeshort header installed today. Very straight forward, and found a trick so the rad doesn't have to be removed. Going to hang the mufflers tomorrow and test run. There is a definite weight savings over the stock system. The install goes fairly easy since the new header is a two piece affair instead of the one piece stock system. Finish is up to the normal Holeshot standards as well. I've done the metallic ceramic coating previously on my atv pipe and the header on my pick-up. Very pleased with each. :D

And the trick is.......for sale? Or what? I I pulled the bottom mount, the lower hoses and am able to tilt it out somewhat, but thats about it. The top bolts are well tucked away behind wiring and the fairing stays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a Craftsman 8mm 3/8 hex socket. Before you put the hex on the header nut, use a small 8mm Gearwrench (box end) that you slide on the hex part of the socket before you insert the hex end of the socket into the header nut. The Gearwrench will turn the nut out just fine. Cover the inside of the rad w/ a piece of cardboard so you don't bugger it. It's tight, but works fine (if any of that makes any sense that is )

Also undo the bottom rad mount for a bit of wiggle room. Do the header unbolting first, but leave the nuts on a couple of the exhaust studs. Unbolt the lower rear collector bolts, undo the exhaust stud nuts, slide the system down and forward then remove to the leftside (opposite the throttle side) of the bike. The Walker header is much faster to fit.