Holeshots getting a little loud?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
Ok, so I was thinking maybe the packing in my Holeshots was in need of repacking cause they seem to be getting a little on the loud side. Hmmm, don't really want to drill out the rivets, etc. Don't care much for the look of the 'db' killers. What to do? Hey, I've got the guts to a Hindle canister here that died in a trailer incident. Don't ask. I've got an idea! What if I cut a piece of the steel mesh and use it to cause a little more restriction. So the first thing was to cut a piece of it off big enough to go in the inlet of the Holeshot.

1120506077_photobucket_63056_.jpg

1120506077_photobucket_63057_.jpg

Then I put it up against the inlet of the Holeshot and traced it with a sharpie.

1120506077_photobucket_63058_.jpg

After cutting it out, just slightly larger than the hole, I filed it down to where it just fit inside. The inlet tapers down a hair just before it enters the body of the cannister. Then I tapped it in place with the butt end of a screwdriver until it was firmly seated.

1120506077_photobucket_63060_.jpg

1120506077_photobucket_63059_.jpg

Then just reassemble, wipe off(or polish a little...they were pretty nasty!)and test ride.

1120506077_photobucket_63068_.jpg

It worked! Not a huge reduction in db's, but it's definately 4-5 db's quieter and doesn't 'gurgle' on decel like it did. Best of all, it cost 0 dolla's, just a few hours of time. It would probably be best to tack weld them in place, but I don't weld or have access. I really don't see them coming loose or moving though, since the mid pipe should hold them in place. So, if you want to tone down your Holeshots a little(could work with other brands too) and are cheap like me and prefer the open pipe look, give it a try.

Thanks! My highly calibrated butt dyno really can't discern any difference in power delivery. Bike runs just as good as before, just a little quieter!

What is holding it in other than just friction against the sidewalls? I think the DB killer uses an allen bolt to hold it in place.

I bet I am missing something here... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
What is holding it in other than just friction against the sidewalls? I think the DB killer uses an allen bolt to hold it in place.

I bet I am missing something here... :(
Look at the last pic and you can see where the inlet tapers down a little bit before it joins the cannister. I tapped it into place and it's seated in there pretty good. Also, the midpipe slides in and keeps it from going the other direction, which shouldn't be a problem since the exhaust is trying to force it the other way. Most other slip ons have the midpipe going into the cannister, so you'd probably have to tack weld them in place. I've checked with a flashlight since riding and they haven't budged. I'll have to get used to it though, I got used to shifting by engine sound and now I'm off by 1k rpms! Don't need any performance awards!