Holy insurance quote Batman!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanaduguy

Reaction score
Ok. So I am currently actively agoping for a new fjr as I think I have found the bike I really want. I started out with a vt750 shadow aero that I used after taking my msf course.

I started to fall in love with sport touring bikes and the fjr bubbled to the top.

I already test rode a BMW and was not super impressed.

Anyways. ....

I decided to get some quotes for insurance for me and an fjr. I currently pay 250/year. My quote so far I can't get less than 500. Eek! Just wondering why. Seems like in the cruiser world the insurance rates I get back stay flatter longer then jump out of control.

Is it just the cc of the bike or the plastic parts or what?

I still want an fjr. Just trying to figure out my budgeting.

Ok. So I am currently actively agoping for a new fjr as I think I have found the bike I really want. I started out with a vt750 shadow aero that I used after taking my msf course. I started to fall in love with sport touring bikes and the fjr bubbled to the top.

Anyways. ....

I decided to get some quotes for insurance for me and an fjr. I currently pay 250/year. My quote so far I can't get less than 500. Eek! Just wondering why. Seems like in the cruiser world the insurance rates I get back stay flatter longer then jump out of control.

Actually, 500 bucks isn't so bad in my book. I'm 44 & pay over 600 for full coverage, myself. I guess that the bulk of it has to do w/ the cc's & your age but some companies consider this a sportbike, too. I believe that certain areas & certain companies will offer better rates. Good luck in your search... but $500.00 really doesn't sound unreasonable for full coverage at all.

Full coverage in NV was going to cost me $1200 for a 6 month premium! Your $500 is a great deal. It has a ton to do with the insurance companies classification of the bike. Is it a sportbike or a touring machine. Also, once you top the 1000cc size the $$ jump up a bit. I chose to get liability and comp without collision and am satisfied with the price. If I am in a crash that's my fault where I need the collision, then I should stop riding for a while anyway. The money I save goes into my farkle/repair budget and allows me to sit on enough money to be comfortable with most repairs. My 2 cents.

Ins. rates vary wildly from company to company and State to State. Here in NC I received quotes as high as $1,100. yr, but after very diligent searching landed at AAA Carolinas for $398. yr.

Check w/ AAA in WI., but I'm also told Dairyland is very price competitive in WI. Emphasize "Touring" bike, Saddlebags, windshield, etc. when speaking to the agent. Don't let the word "sport" ever enter the conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
$275 liability and $600/yr full coverage with $1k deductible (highest allowed by the IC) in Texas. However my umbrella also went up by $40/Yr.

Regards,

B

Ok. So I am currently actively agoping for a new fjr as I think I have found the bike I really want. I started out with a vt750 shadow aero that I used after taking my msf course. I started to fall in love with sport touring bikes and the fjr bubbled to the top.

Anyways. ....

The lousy rate is probably because you want a Yamaha and you live in Milwaukee. :blink:

State Farm, full coverage $37/month with $500 deductible, optional $32/month with $1000 deductible. Discounts because of multiple vehicles.

That does it. I'm moving to Colorado. Cheaper insurance, great motorcycle roads, moderate weather, valued education (compared to NV), and less meth houses.

Anyways. ....

Not sure, but believe in GA they are not on to the "sport" concept and believe they go by displacement. I have not received a bill yet, but just "downgraded" if I am correct from 1670CC to 1298CC. I was paying $347.77 (6 mo premium) X 2 per year on the Road Star cruiser that the fjr replaced. Will be interesting to see what difference this makes. That's $500 deductible on both comprehensive and collision. This is with State Farm.

Dairyland: Full Coverage (without PIP since I have health insurance). 250 deductible, covers 3000 in accessories. 100/300/50: $275 a year.

State Farm -- Twin Cities, MN -- 28 yrs old -- Clean record -- Yes I have 3 bikes, 2 cars, homeowners, & umbrella with them.

(If all you want to insure is a bike the quotes are higher)

Full Coverage 250/500 -- $500 deductible -- $319.59 a yr. (additional umbrella coverage on top of that.)

-bvw.

Anyways. ....

I work for an insurance company in the claims department. I see alot of responses are quoting you liability for $xxx. Let me give you some sound advise. Carry insurance to protect yourself from what others will do to you; not what you will do to them. Make sure you carry Bodily Injury Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage. If you get injured and it is someone elses fault you may be able to make an unisured or underinsured claim with your insurance company. To give you an example my uncle was hit on his motorcycle, he broke his leg, to make a long story short he ended up with a blood infection and it killed his kidney's; now he is on dialiysis for the rest of his life. His medical bills are over $200,000 and going up. He was only able to collect $50,000 total; he had to pay a portion to the attorney and to his health insurance company; he ended up with around $15k in his pockey. I personnally carry $300,000 underlying coverage with a million dollar unbrella so I am coveraged upto 1.3 million if I do something to someone or if someone injures me. I pay $650 per year for this coverage. Now there is exceptions to this rule, if you live in a pip state or a no fault state the laws are different to a certain degree. If anyone has specific questions I can try and find out for you.

Let me give you some sound advise. Carry insurance to protect yourself from what others will do to you; not what you will do to them. Make sure you carry Bodily Injury Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage. If you get injured and it is someone elses fault you may be able to make an unisured or underinsured claim with your insurance company.
+10 on this comment.

It's the reason I have my umbrella policy, and if you get or have one, make sure it includes uninsured and underinsured.

Whole intent here is to make sure that you are covering yourself.

(You've heard the "Pay Yourself First" mantra... same goes for insurance)

-bvw.

i'm 28, and i pay only 414 a year for full coverage, with a 500 deducible. i was reading cycle world the other day, and there was an ad, just thought i'd give them a shot. my quote- $3500/year!!! i don't know what the hell they were smoking.