Home Brew Mirror Extensions for Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting for an estimate from my coworker. I don't want to pester him, but I am getting a little impatient. I will probably get him to make a few sets that I can post pics of and send to a few other guys for reaction, testimonial, etc. I should also be able to post a pic of Gen A vs. Gen B. Stay tuned.
Kurt
I react very well! Pick me. Happy to share my views and offer constructive feedback, if any is needed. :)
Gimme the ball! Gimme the ball! Gimme the ball!

I just added the v-strom hand protectors and they pretty much made the stock mirrors useless. Count me in for a set as well.

Hey guys-

No, I didn't die or anything, just busy with the Holidays, work etc. My bike has also been in the shop for the last few weeks. I will be getting my bike back this week, and am thinking about having a set of the new design made. That way I can mount one of the new design on the right side for comparison with the previous design on the left side. I will take some pics when I do so that you can see what the difference is. Work is really busy until after the first week of February, but I assume not many of you are putting on big miles this time of year anyway.

Kurt

Hey guys-
No, I didn't die or anything, just busy with the Holidays, work etc. My bike has also been in the shop for the last few weeks. I will be getting my bike back this week, and am thinking about having a set of the new design made. That way I can mount one of the new design on the right side for comparison with the previous design on the left side. I will take some pics when I do so that you can see what the difference is. Work is really busy until after the first week of February, but I assume not many of you are putting on big miles this time of year anyway.

Kurt
Kurt, Do not want to be pesty, but have you installed the new proto on your bike yet? If yes, pls post a pic. tks, Art

GREAT idea. :clapping:

I would be very interested in seeing the final product and hearing your initial review. If all goes well, I hope shipping to Canada will be an option. :)

My work commitment has been met, so I will be having a couple of new style prototypes made real soon. My bike is back from the shop too, so I will post pics of the extensions soon.

Regards to all,

Kurt

Have you thought about moving them "out" only and not "up". This could probably be done without having them extend beyond the fairing (I'm heading out with a tape measure right now).

It wouldn't look as sleek I suppose - would look more like a square plate with four holes in it - two to bolt to the bike and two to bolt to the mirror. I've never taken the mirrors off (yet) so I'm not exactly sure how they bolt up. I'll start digging around.

Have you thought about moving them "out" only and not "up". This could probably be done without having them extend beyond the fairing (I'm heading out with a tape measure right now).
It wouldn't look as sleek I suppose - would look more like a square plate with four holes in it - two to bolt to the bike and two to bolt to the mirror. I've never taken the mirrors off (yet) so I'm not exactly sure how they bolt up. I'll start digging around.
That sounds familiar: <Link>

Quite a bit of playing around with that idea here also: <Link>

Anything further magna?

Indeed - have any of these projects moved forward - there were two threads in the post above mine I looked at - anything there?

Anything further magna?
Indeed - have any of these projects moved forward - there were two threads in the post above mine I looked at - anything there?
Well, the first one is Skyway. I think that one was dropped, but the very last post in that thread has a link to a vendor that offers the straight extensions for $75. <Link> (halfway down the page under 'Custom Accessories')

BerniMirrorExtensionsFJR.jpg

That's a lot of money for very little benefit. We tested something similar here. That's how I know the benefit is minimal.

The second link was to a little experiment I was working on a couple years back. It cost me quite a bit of time that I should have invested in my auxiliary tank. All that effort invested and the whole thing got put on the back burner. :fool: I'll pick it up again one of these days. I keep the link on my about me page. I still hope to add that one to my 'success' column.

OK SCMAGNA, Your marketing options await you, I'd LOVE a pair also, but my Lady, Renee, found that;Twisted Throttle carries the Motech brand that looks to "raise" the mirror a bunch. I ordered a pair @65.00, and give them a try, an expensive gamble, at best! I like yours much better, and may still "support" your new "venture" PUN intended!

Please,start building those extentions, they look great!! they will sell!! Your friend, Ron D. Bigred2007

OK SCMAGNA, Your marketing options await you, I'd LOVE a pair also, but my Lady, Renee, found that;Twisted Throttle carries the Motech brand that looks to "raise" the mirror a bunch. I ordered a pair @65.00, and give them a try, an expensive gamble, at best! I like yours much better, and may still "support" your new "venture" PUN intended!

Please,start building those extentions, they look great!! they will sell!! Your friend, Ron D. Bigred2007