Home made Passport 8500 power lead?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisk7

Reaction score
Has anyone made up their own power lead using a telephone type plug for the Passport 8500 without messing with the mute button and LED light on the stock power cord?

I'm wanting to make my own power lead that I can hook into the switched ign. system that is simple with out having to mess with the remote LED or mute button on the stock power cords.

It looks like you can just use a telephone type wire and jack wired directly to a 12v. source.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and which of the 4 wires in the jack are the pos. and neg.?

Has anyone made up their own power lead using a telephone type plug for the Passport 8500 without messing with the mute button and LED light on the stock power cord?
I'm wanting to make my own power lead that I can hook into the switched ign. system that is simple with out having to mess with the remote LED or mute button on the stock power cords.

It looks like you can just use a telephone type wire and jack wired directly to a 12v. source.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and which of the 4 wires in the jack are the pos. and neg.?
Yep. Easy to do if you have a supply of connectors and the crimping tool. I HIGHLY recommend you swing by HomeDepot or Rat Shack and get the crimp tool.

The 12v source and ground are the middle two wires but I don't remember which is which. Test your existing power supply cord and DON'T get it wrong in your home made connector (don't ask how I know this :eek: )

Worked great. I made up one using a regular phone cord.

I used the middle two wires, Red pos. and green neg.

I did notice that on double ended phone cords that one end is wired opposite of the other so if anyone else tries this make sure you do check that it matches the stock power cord polarity.

I did screw up and forget about the wires being opposite on the detector end of the cord I made. I plugged it in and the pasport shut off. I reattached the connector and much to my relief, the unit worked. Ian, Iowa