Voltage Regulator Mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twforeman

Reaction score
Every time I work on this motorcycle I find something else dumb that the PO did.

This time it's the voltage regulator. I *think* they did the wiring upgrade, but I'm not sure, but in any case the voltage regulator was just flopping around by the swingarm, not bolted to anything. The metal cover was there too, but only attached with a broken cable tie.

I can't figure out where and how this thing is supposed to be mounted. The parts fiche seems to show it up by the battery, but all the forum searches indicate it's suppose to be under the ECU by the swingarm.

Can some one either point me to a picture of where this thing goes, or at least describe the location?

2007 Gen II.

1719942039339.jpeg

This is from the right side of the bike. The silver thing is the cover for the R/R. My shock in front of it is covered with a Shock Sock...

Let me know if you need more photos...

Last edited:
Does it mount to a welded on tab on that metal bracket? Mine is broken off and I assume that's where it's supposed to mount. Sigh.
I think it bolts through?
I haven't actually had mine off so I couldn't tell you for sure.
I'll have a look at some old posts. This photo was taken by @dcarver . I KNOW he has had his off~!!
1719951596430.png

Look here (this should help).

https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node/520

I'm sure someone who has removed one should be able to assist.

Perfect. This pic here shows exactly what I expected. There is a strip welded onto the bracket with the two studs for mounting the VR. That strip is broken off on my bike.

I ended up just bolting the metal cover to the VR and then using cable ties to attach it to the bracket. At least it's not flopping around anymore.

Keep an eye on the cable ties. The R/R gets pretty warm and even if they don't melt, they could become brittle or chafe through. You can get stainless cable ties or maybe use stainless wire. (need something that won't corrode)