Homemade Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger55

Reaction score
I got my used 2005 a couple of weeks ago. Since I had dropped my previous bike a couple of times, I thought sliders would be a good add-on. I am an Industrial Arts teacher (there are still a few of us still roaming the earth). Since I have a lathe in my "lab" at school, I decided to machine some sliders from some scrap aluminum and some delrin I had. I think they turned out pretty good. The delrin is pressed and epoxied on. Hope I never need them.

P1010038.jpg
P1010033.jpg
P1010037.jpg

I'm jealous. I'm a reading teacher, but I was a machinist for years. My gig was surface grinding in a lamination die shop. Wish I could use some of my machinist/carpentry skills in teaching.

Gary

darksider #44

Very pretty and professionally done and looking

however

here's what I've been told about sliders:

they should be made of delrin (or plastic) that rubs away as it does it's job

another vendor made metal sliders and they were seen sliding a bit and catching on the surface and flipping the bike over doing much more damage

the quality delrin ones didn't break on impact, and shortened, but protected the bike as it slid to a stop

and delrin sliders should have metal inserts where the bolts goes through so the plastic doesn't mishape from tightening the bolt

probably one of my 1.5 cents worth posts

2 different violent low sides that started with undamaged sliders (btw, best to hit the lil cat instead of jerking the bike around it !!!) :

DSC02684sm.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg