honda heated grip kit for 06 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nubfjr

Reaction score
i put these on from the advice from warchild. The only thing is when i set it at the 2nd position or higher (4 positions in total) the lights on the controller start blinking. I feel heat on the grips, just bugs me while these lights are blinking. Is that a sign the battery isn't getting enough of a charge form the alternator? Shouldn't be the case as i'm powering nothing else (except the autocom) which is negligible and GPS.

any thoughts on this?

Rich

My heated vest controller works the same way. When you have the lower setting on it's a steady light but as you increase the controller to a higher temp setting it will blink until it reaches that desired temp. If you are riding in extreme cold it may never stop blinking as it will have a hard time reaching the desired setting due to the outside air temp/windchill factor. Nothing wrong with the unit. Ride it and enjoy the warm hands.

I have the same grips on my bike. What I found is that whenever system voltage drops below 13.3, the grip controller starts pulsing to ensure that the battery still gets charged. If the voltage drops much lower (sorry don't remember exact figure), the grip controller will shutoff completely. I usually only have problems with pulsing grip power with high beams on, my 75 watt heated liner on full blast and the grips on 3 or 4 (hottest setting). If the radiator fan also kicks in, then the grip heater will completely shutoff.

Last week I installed Hot Grips. They don't have any sort of indicator light. I opted for the three position switch (hi/lo/off) and ran power through an ignition relay. On the 'high' setting these things are HOT!!! I rode for two-hours this weekend in near freezing temps with just leather gloves and had to switch to 'low'. Does anybody else have similar experiences with their heated grips? I may put in a dial type controller for greated adjustability.

Rich, regarding your post below: I installed the ST1300 heated grips on my 06FJR and find them to work just fine. Mine blink for about a minute or two in cold weather and I figured that (like some other replies) it was a cold start, high current, reaction of the controller. I don't know. Mine get hotter than I ever need on 4. I ride mostly with them on 2 in the 40's with winter gloves. Does your controller ever stop blinking? Do they work OK? Are there any other bad symptoms?

Steve

------------------

"i put these on from the advice from warchild. The only thing is when i set it at the 2nd position or higher (4 positions in total) the lights on the controller start blinking. I feel heat on the grips, just bugs me while these lights are blinking. Is that a sign the battery isn't getting enough of a charge form the alternator? Shouldn't be the case as i'm powering nothing else (except the autocom) which is negligible and GPS.

any thoughts on this?

Rich"

i put these on from the advice from warchild. The only thing is when i set it at the 2nd position or higher (4 positions in total) the lights on the controller start blinking. I feel heat on the grips, just bugs me while these lights are blinking. Is that a sign the battery isn't getting enough of a charge form the alternator? Shouldn't be the case as i'm powering nothing else (except the autocom) which is negligible and GPS.
any thoughts on this?

Rich
I was the one who first put the Honda heated grips on an 06 FJR, not Warchild (he gets upset if you get us confused). I usually set the grips on 2 and that is more than enough to keep my hands comfy. The flashing on the controller usually stops while you are riding...mine does it when I first turn them on at idle & soon stops when I get underway. They will start flashing again if you stop at a light or ride in stop & go traffic for an extended period. Other than that they have worked just fine with no problems.

Hope this eases your mind a little.

Last week I installed Hot Grips. They don't have any sort of indicator light. I opted for the three position switch (hi/lo/off) and ran power through an ignition relay. On the 'high' setting these things are HOT!!! I rode for two-hours this weekend in near freezing temps with just leather gloves and had to switch to 'low'. Does anybody else have similar experiences with their heated grips? I may put in a dial type controller for greated adjustability.

I have the Hot Grips and used their dial type controller for exactly that reason. With changing air temp, changing speed, different pairs of gloves, etc. two choices is not enough variability. With the contoller you'll be like Goldilocks and find the setting that's just right!

This past weekend I decided to make a change to my Honda grip hookup. Originally I had used wires out of the factory heated grip connectors to supply power and ground to my Honda heat controller. These are small 18 or 20 guage wires and I suspected that maybe the small wire size contributed to my flashing controller problem (it's a fact that the controller will flash/pulse to reduce power consumption to ensure the bike has sufficient power for other uses when battery voltage gets too low).

So I disconnected the factory power/gnd connections and added 12 guage wiring to power my Honda controller off my switched power strip instead of the stock Yamaha heated grip wiring. Testing in my garage that day and on the ride to work this morning shows that this fixed my controller flashing problem. I had the grips on 3, my Aerostich liner on full, brake lights and high beams on without the controller ever flashing once (even while at idle).