Honda ST1300 Heated Grips Testing and Wiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny80s

Turtle Gears
Reaction score
I bought the heated grips for an st1300 and have installed the grips and the switch. I how do I test the grips to see if they work before I fish all the wires around. Also how do I wire them to the bike. Specifically which wires do I connect to on the bike and where are the wires? I could not find any connectors for the stock heated grips. I have an 07 A model.

I plugged everything together and connected the wires to the battery. I could not get the grips to turn on. I switched the wires on the battery and still could not get the grips to turn on.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Try revving the motor when you turn it on. They are sensitive to how much juice is going though the system.

Mine were hooked up to the battery by my dealer. The controller was mounted in the fairing...similar to this thread, at the bottom;

click it

Take a volt meter or test light and make sure you are getting power to the switch. If not, go back and check your connections and double check the directions. They should begin to feel warm without starting the bike if your inside. If you can get your bike outside, running the motor will help heat up the grips.

The digital controller provided with the ST1300 grips senses the voltage on the system and will shut down the grips should a low voltage situation be encountered. This being said, they will not turn on unless the engine is running, and voltage is being produced by the stator. I believe the shutoff point is 13.2v to 13.4v.

I have had my grips shut down while riding - I had a heated vest and a pair of Hella FF50's running, and when traffic slowed, I did not downshift to maintain high rpm's - and the voltage output dropped. Downshifted to bring the revs back up, and the grips turned back on.

John, I have my 07 A apart right now doing this same mod right now, see this link: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8074 also the one picture that shows the blue connector and him taping into the green wire to switch his relay is what I did also. One thing to note is that when you turn the ignition on that wire won't show voltage until you start the bike as I check it with my meter. Another thing is that I'll be using the ST1300 bar ends for two reasons; 1) is the extra weight will be help vibes and 2) I am doing the V-Strom handgaurd mod I'll be turning the end down for Guard end to slip over. One other thing that I'm doing is taking the plastic riser for the locking glove box out so as I can access my glove box anytime I want.

Thanks guys. I ended up buying the Yamaha factory grips. They work great and plugged right in.

I do have the Honda switch that I would be happy to sell. Make me an offer and its yours.

John

Since the story ended with Yamaha grips I'll add my two cents:

University Motors wants $318 for the OEM grips. MSRP is ~$389. Un-f-ing-believable. I was so outraged that I wrote Yamaha complaining of the price (got a nice letter in reply but won't matter as far as price goes). I spent less than $50 and got Dual-Stars. They work exceptional and I can use my grip of choice.

I do like the idea of "plug and play" though and told Yamaha I'd be willing to pay more than $50 for that capability but certainly not anywhere near $389. Seems like a nice little market there for some creative types with electrical & schematic skills ;)

I added the Honda heated grips a couple of weeks ago. I made up an adapter from the Honda connector to the Yamaha connector from a couple of short lengths of wire and blade connectors from radio shack. Plugs right in to the Honda connector on one end and to the Green Yamaha connector on the other end. The ground went to a convenient bolt. Works beautifully.

Just something to be aware of:

I wired my Honda grips using the factory connectors for power and ground (power in one connector and ground in the other). The Honda grips worked, but continually went into flashing mode (low voltage to heat controller). After rewiring to my newly added power strip with 14 guage wire, I've had no problems with the heat controller flashing. I suspect that the undersize wiring caused too much of a voltage drop to the Honda heat controller.