Honeymoon FJR Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the good info. MadMike thanks for the tip on "The Avenue of the Giants" I have added it to the route!

It's the longest trip either of us have been on. For me, I've been on a week long journey and shes been on a lot of weekend trips with 4 days being her longest. But as you have said I planned it out to be pretty flexible and with her in mind. We plan on staying multiple days in Crater Lake, San Fran, and Vegas. I also have about 3 days of flexibility, and more if we get to vegas late. This trip is not meant to be an endurance run, and when we stay multiple days we plan on staying at a spa or very nice resort for her to relax.

As for the blog...yea i know...I'm not sure how its going to work. I don't want it to take up too much time. But every time we venture out we promise to take a lot of pictures and never do. I'm hoping the blog will help force us to take our time and record this trip for some good memories down the road...and if not good memories then good stories! (the blog will not feature any x-rated content...unless I can figure out how to charge a viewing fee.)

So thanks again for everyones input! If you have more route ideas or places to see please send them my way!

-Drew

ps- my bike is shipped and on its own journey right now. sigh. I haven't even been able to bring myself to look in the garage, fearing my eyes will swell with tears. ugh almost a month without her...

Last edited by a moderator:
Staying day(s) at a few choice spots and not trying to make it into an endurance run is good thinking. Congradulations and have a great time!

P.S. In case you haven't made your hotel reservations I highly (as a quasi weekend local) recommend Fernwood in Big Sur.

Updated the blog...

Rode all day in the rain the first day...wasnt great. Today however was spectacular. Ive missed my motorcycle...and its been great to mount up and ride all day. She is a bit heavy so some of the curves arent as much fun...but we're here more for the touring.

Did you get a chance to ride up Mt. St. Helens? I should have told you that if you're going down the Columbia River to head South out of the town of Hood River on Hwy 35. Just West of the intersection of Hwy 35 and Hwy 26 you can ride up to the lodge at Mt. Hood. Its one of the historic buildings built in the Arts & Crafts style by the govt. paid craftsmen during the depression. Its quite a site. Alas, I think you're past that area now if you've been through Portland.

Enjoy Crater Lake, it is truly a wonder and quite spectacular! Remember that anything East of Crater Lake is high desert. The visitors center is on the West side of the lake, but there are great views as you ride around the rim.

As you get closer to the OR/CA border and prepare to head down the coast, be aware that there aren't many "beaches" along Hwy 1. It is a pretty rough coast line and the top part of Hwy 1 is really twisty. Just stay in touring mode and enjoy the scenery.

If you get to Eureka for lunch, consider the Samoa Cookhouse. You have to take Hwy 255 West, across the bridge (over Humboldt Bay). Once over the bridge turn left (South) a mile or so and the Samoa Cookhouse is on the left. Its an old logging camp cookhouse. Everything is still on long tables (that seat like, oh, 10 people on each side) with tablecloths. The menu is: "Whatever they're serving that day". Its always good and a fun place with a small logging musem inside.

Enjoy the trip tomorrow.

Oh yeah, congratulations on the marriage and for having an adventurous wife-unit.

No blog updates of Drew & Trish at Crater Lake? What....are you on your honeymoon or something?
Id love to get to that logging place for lunch. We'll see if we can as we get closer to Eureka. Unfortunately we didnt get to ride up ST. Helens or Mt Ranier...the weather wasnt so good and every road we tried was closed or wiped out during the winter?? But thanks for your tips...I think we're doing a ride you mentioned a while back...the scenic road through the redwoods...we're looking forward to that! Oh and crater lake was unlike anything ive ever seen! simply amazing... will def go back someday and spend some time there hiking and camping.

-drew

Man, I just checked out your blog. You two are starting it off on the right foot. Congratulations on the marriage and good luck on the rest of the ride. Keep on posting, it is something I will show to my wife, I just got her gear and plan on startin off with baby steps to get her out more with me. I didn't buy this thing for a lot of alone time, well maybe some, but as you are finding out, two up sure beats alone. Keep the ride shiny side up and may the wind stay ever behind you. :yahoo:

No blog updates of Drew & Trish at Crater Lake? What....are you on your honeymoon or something?
Id love to get to that logging place for lunch. We'll see if we can as we get closer to Eureka. Unfortunately we didnt get to ride up ST. Helens or Mt Ranier...the weather wasnt so good and every road we tried was closed or wiped out during the winter?? But thanks for your tips...I think we're doing a ride you mentioned a while back...the scenic road through the redwoods...we're looking forward to that! Oh and crater lake was unlike anything ive ever seen! simply amazing... will def go back someday and spend some time there hiking and camping.

-drew
Are you guys gonna be in LA at all?

Richard

Richard, go to page 1 of the thread and click on his bolg. Scroll down and there are maps of his route. Drew and Trish will be coming down Hwy 1 and through Oxnard...heading for Las Vegas. He has planned some 1 and 2 day layovers, but I don't know about the LA area.

If you have an invitation or whatever you might PM him.

Hi again!

Just checking in from San Fran...the ride here from Ft Brag was fantastic! The roads and scenery were perfect...I just wish the bike wasnt sooo heavy with all of our crap on it. Still though the FJR was a joy to ride! Today was the first time we didnt hop on the bike the next morning and head out. I missed riding...so I went on a little ride around town tonight. Geeez Im going to get home and have to drive my car! Yuck, how am I going drive a car all day. I'm going to have to ween myself off of riding so much.

Anyway I'm glad to see a couple of people posting and saying hi along the way! I dont think we will be getting anywhere near LA. Besides Vegas Ive had enough of the city life.

Low Level...thanks for the well wishes! Riding alone is great but its also great to share a spectacular view or a neat place with someone besides your lonesome.

Mike...we didnt get to stop at that place for lunch. maybe next time! i did try but gave up...was starving and needed eat before Eugene. Thanks for the advice though!

Updated the blog...no pics though.

I dont think we will be getting anywhere near LA. Besides Vegas Ive had enough of the city life.
Earth to Drew.....Oxnard is in the Northwest quadrant of the LA Basin...and you will be riding just North of TWN's haunt (Santa Barbara). Trust me...the freeways you'll be on through the Northern Metro area of Ellay will be enough for you. After the coastal route, the 15 is going to be culture shock! :dribble:

Keep reporting, I'm enjoying following your trip. We should have planned better. A bunch of crazy NorCal FJR owners could have shown you some hospitality. But then...Earth to Mike...they're on their honeymoon and vant to be alooone.

BTW, you are going to love your trip south on Hwy 1!

Yea I think we're going to try to cut over on 126 just short of Oxnard. We'll prolly be staying a night in Santa Barbara. I finally saw an FJR yesterday, where has everyone been? Also lane splitting is great! So jealous...

time to get outta here.

Also lane splitting is great! So jealous...
Well, you took to that like a pro. When you do it often you get a 6th sense about it and your comfort level rises. NOW you know why we are all proponents of it being made legal nation wide. :D

Have fun riding South. You will now be riding some of our favorite roads. There are a number of forum members who live along Hwy 1 (Highlander, Dcarver, khunajawdge and others)...you'll know why we other CA riders are so jealous of their "local roads". I hope you have time to enjoy Big Sur and tour the Hearst Castle.

Keep the reports coming....and ENJOY!

Also lane splitting is great! So jealous...
Well, you took to that like a pro. When you do it often you get a 6th sense about it and your comfort level rises. NOW you know why we are all proponents of it being made legal nation wide. :D

Have fun riding South. You will now be riding some of our favorite roads. There are a number of forum members who live along Hwy 1 (Highlander, Dcarver, khunajawdge and others)...you'll know why we other CA riders are so jealous of their "local roads". I hope you have time to enjoy Big Sur and tour the Hearst Castle.

Keep the reports coming....and ENJOY!
Thanks for the idea to visit the Hearst Castle. We did and it was amazing! As were the roads on our way!

Soooo, you found the joy of "Desert Riding". :yahoo: (The "joy" is finding a motel with ait conditioning!) You guys have had a great trip! Have a good time your last days in Vegas. Are you riding home?

Soooo, you found the joy of "Desert Riding". :yahoo: (The "joy" is finding a motel with ait conditioning!) You guys have had a great trip! Have a good time your last days in Vegas. Are you riding home?
Nope it was back to work for me on Monday. No vacation left but for a couple of personal days. So thats it...I'd love to plan something like this again with more miles...we def could have done more miles...but this was nice just the same. We were able to stop and see a lot along the way.

Updated the blog for the last time. :D :D :D

Drew...great slide show! Now...back to the "real world". What a terrific collection of memories you have to start your lifetime adventure with. Congrats on everything.

I predict that as the family grows, this honeymoon trip will be the stuff family legends are made from...all to entertain the kiddies and grandkiddies, and to regale the extended family. :yahoo: